Wheel Wells - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Wheel Wells

Has anybody noticed how hard it is to clean the wheel wells. I can barely fit my hand in the wheel wells for cleaning because of those big eighteen inch tires, anybody have any tips how to maintain them, I like like to keep every thing tidy and new looking.

MYGXP07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave clancy
Has anybody noticed how hard it is to clean the wheel wells. I can barely fit my hand in the wheel wells for cleaning because of those big eighteen inch tires, anybody have any tips how to maintain them, I like like to keep every thing tidy and new looking.
Are you talking about the fender part?

My hands fit ok in the wheel wells and the plastic fender (which get really dirty as well). I do get a lot of brake dust everytime I take her out. I do get a few scratches on my hands when I clean my wheels. But that is my pet peeve - dirty wheels. I have to have clean wheels. I hate thos luxury cars that are all clean everywhere except the wheels.

My Sol is Cool!!!

Her name is Salma, like in Salma Hayek. Because she's got the same curves in all the right places!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Founding Member

Send a message via AIM to LUVnSOL
My wheel wells are very tight so I use a bottle brush that I had in my kitchen. I also use this brush to clen behind my rims. Get it soapy and brush--seems to work well. I can bend it to get righ behind the spokes on the rims
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 10:34 AM

I suppose if you really wanted to, you could use a jack. Getting a few hundred pounds off the wheel (one at a time) would open the well considerably...

Took delivery of Abbie 4/27/06
VIN: 114273
Ordered Aggressive February 16, 2006.
Aggressive, polished, cloth, power, and convenience. LSD, A/B, A/C, Monsoon, and MP3.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 10:42 AM

The well are very difficult to clean. But they are also difficult to see. Seriously though, I use a microfiber mitt and just work my hand back in the well. I then dress the well with Poorboy's Natural Look Dressing to give it a nice matte finish and some protection.

Tip: NEVER clean your rims, tires, and wells with the same mitt you clean your car with...you're just asking for swirl marks.

Fiancee's Sol: Cool | Ebony | Loaded except XM/Onstar, 6 disc changer, Monsoon #3091!!!
Delivered: 12/31/05

If I'm nice she lets me drive it:)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 12:12 PM

Nobody told me I needed to clean the wheel wells !!!

Deep Blue
VIN 4892
St. Louis, MO
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsonjoe
The well are very difficult to clean. But they are also difficult to see. Seriously though, I use a microfiber mitt and just work my hand back in the well. I then dress the well with Poorboy's Natural Look Dressing to give it a nice matte finish and some protection.

Tip: NEVER clean your rims, tires, and wells with the same mitt you clean your car with...you're just asking for swirl marks.
Good tip, I'll look for the poorboy's but may have to settle for Richboy's. After all the work on the car is she letting you drive it?
Thanks

Pure, Ebony, PWR, CNV.PKG, CD-MP3, XM, #4769 10/DEC/05
Mods: Calipers*Shaved*Caps*Chromies*Rear Fascia*GM-CAI*Eibach Sportline*Borla Exhaust*Headers*RazziWing*Lthr Visors*Eng Cover
Future: ProBeam, Homemade Backbone, GXP Swaybars, DDM Stage 2
1984 Blk Porsche 928S 196k
my PURE Pics upDated 28/Aug/06
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURE_Fun
Good tip, I'll look for the poorboy's but may have to settle for Richboy's. After all the work on the car is she letting you drive it?
Thanks

haha, nice.

We went out to dinner this weekend and I got to drive to and back!!! God, I love driving her car.

Fiancee's Sol: Cool | Ebony | Loaded except XM/Onstar, 6 disc changer, Monsoon #3091!!!
Delivered: 12/31/05

If I'm nice she lets me drive it:)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 07:33 PM

Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave clancy
1) Jack car up.
2) Pull the wheel off.
3) Clean and wax inside of wheel well.
4) Clean and wax entire wheel.
5) Replace Wheel.
6) Release jack and move to next wheel.

Six easy steps.

Now, do you want to know how to detail your engine compartment?

VIN#531 AGGRESSIVE / Ebony. Everything except XM and onstar, no need on Maui. No Heated seats either, whatever they are.
Norm's fenders and "SOLSTICE" dual exhaust valence.
DDM stage II with DDM long tube header, high flow cat and Magna-flow cat-back.
-------------------------------------------------
"An armed populace is a polite populace".
Mark Twain.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 09:29 AM

You know reading this thread about how tight the rear tires are fitting in the allotted space. There is only about 3/8 - 1/2" clearance forward of the rear tire between the wheel well. I always wondered when I bought the car why the dealer made me sign a document that I would not use tire chains on the car, and this is the reason, the chains would hit it. Of course I'm in sunny Cali don't need chains.

Pure, Ebony, PWR, CNV.PKG, CD-MP3, XM, #4769 10/DEC/05
Mods: Calipers*Shaved*Caps*Chromies*Rear Fascia*GM-CAI*Eibach Sportline*Borla Exhaust*Headers*RazziWing*Lthr Visors*Eng Cover
Future: ProBeam, Homemade Backbone, GXP Swaybars, DDM Stage 2
1984 Blk Porsche 928S 196k
my PURE Pics upDated 28/Aug/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode