wimpy sounding '06 2.4l Sol - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

wimpy sounding '06 2.4l Sol

Is there an inexpensive way to give the above car a little more rumble/sports car-like sound?
I am not interested in changing the entire stock exhaust system, but am wondering whether there is an add on/(removal) item that would make the car sound a little more throaty.
Only mod to engine is a CAI
Thanks for all suggestions

hoochemamma!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:51 AM
Administrator

A Flow Master or MagnaFlow muffler will give you a throaty sound. No need to replace the entire exhaust system.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:40 AM

Find a complete, take off, gxp exhaust and bolt it right up. Usually can find cheap or even free. Cost would be for a dual valance, but car will look better and sound very good!

07 Aggressive NA, 11-06 SOLD 9-17-08
09 WickedGXP9-25-08 Auto, Red calps,shorty antenna,windscreen,dibit & bkup light covers, leather armrests/console & door pockets,de-badged, pulsing 3rd light,GMPP CAI&tune, DDM susp set,Clear bra,garage opener in header, JPM lumbar,SOLO Mach Shty cat bk
09 Aggressive GXP Coupe 4-16-14, #577, Auto,soft top,Red calps,GM tune,GM acc whls,Conti Xtreme contact tires,pulsing 3rd light,red eng cover, DDM susp set,SOLO center Exh, Norm Valance
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedMike View Post
Find a complete, take off, gxp exhaust and bolt it right up. Usually can find cheap or even free. Cost would be for a dual valance, but car will look better and sound very good!
I agree completely. Many of us with 2.4s have gone this route, and I think it is the best sounding option although there are many who prefer the Magnaflow that MomsSol mentioned.

To expand on this, the stock exhausts are one piece from the bottom of the cat to the end of the tail pipe, so replacing "the whole thing" is actually the easiest option since there is no cutting. One comes out and the other goes in.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked

Last edited by JohnWR; 07-12-2019 at 10:40 AM. Reason: One more thing about the Sky that is better! Thanks DaveOC.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:30 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Mike mentioned replacing the rear valence, and that is the route i followed, but many have simply cut the extra opening in the stock valence. The outline for it is already there, and if done carefully it looks 95% the same.
On the Solstice (because this is the Solsticeforum), the rear valence does not have the outline of the exhaust cutout on the driver's side.

I sometimes get confused posting on the forums and mess up my posts. Double check, yep, Solsticeforum!

1st 1K - #741
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
On the Solstice (because this is the Solsticeforum), the rear valence does not have the outline of the exhaust cutout on the driver's side.

I sometimes get confused posting on the forums and mess up my posts. Double check, yep, Solsticeforum!

Just one more indication of the superiority of the Sky over the Solstice, I guess. I'll edit my post.

John
Lexington, KY

Last edited by JohnWR; 07-12-2019 at 10:40 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:10 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
So I am going to assume that when using the stock valence you first make a template from the passenger's side to use when cutting the driver's side.
I guess that would work, the problem as I see it is that you end up cutting through the simulated grillwork that is back there, and I just don't like that look. There is a solution to this problem and he's located in Mishawaka, Indiana.

<GRIN>

1st 1K - #741
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
I guess that would work, the problem as I see it is that you end up cutting through the simulated grillwork that is back there, and I just don't like that look. There is a solution to this problem and he's located in Mishawaka, Indiana.

<GRIN>

So I'll take it all back, and you have to buy the new valence. I really thought that someone had done a Solstice, but obviously I'm mistaken.

John
Lexington, KY
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:57 AM

Garage
I have a stock GXP exhaust in Northern California if you're interested...

2008 GXP Aggressive Red - SOL LVR - Trifecta custom switchable tune - DDM CAI/charge tubes/silicone hoses - Werks IC - Solo Hi-flow Cat/Mach Shorty exhaust - DDM Probeam/Backbone/Venom brace - Sprint Booster - Short throw shifter - Full LED conversion w/pulsating third brake light and sequential turn signals - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:06 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
So I'll take it all back, and you have to buy the new valence. I really thought that someone had done a Solstice, but obviously I'm mistaken.
The solution is to get a GXP rear valence, usually from someone who has done a Norm's replacement valence, they used to be fairly available via the forums and/or FB.

When I had a minor issue with my stock rear valance, a phone call to Dave @ PAW had a stock rear valence on it's way promptly.

YMMV

1st 1K - #741
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:29 PM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
i reckon I may have to look into this too... but I have another question...why is everything up north or out west.....errr but Im used to it with my aircooled vw&porche stuff. Ive had a lifetime of racing, I dont need loud, but a little more than the oe single wood be good, and probably flow a tad more.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:24 PM

I went with Norms rear valance and the Solo cutback exhaust. Not a bad sound for an NA. Alittle pricey but, hey, it's my baby.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	98237  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:10 PM

I’ve seen Solstice rear valances cut for duals and it looks terrible. It ends up cutting through the pattern in the valance. Now, on a Sky it can be cut out and can look nice. Unfortunately Solstice and Sky valances are not interchangeable.

07 Aggressive NA, 11-06 SOLD 9-17-08
09 WickedGXP9-25-08 Auto, Red calps,shorty antenna,windscreen,dibit & bkup light covers, leather armrests/console & door pockets,de-badged, pulsing 3rd light,GMPP CAI&tune, DDM susp set,Clear bra,garage opener in header, JPM lumbar,SOLO Mach Shty cat bk
09 Aggressive GXP Coupe 4-16-14, #577, Auto,soft top,Red calps,GM tune,GM acc whls,Conti Xtreme contact tires,pulsing 3rd light,red eng cover, DDM susp set,SOLO center Exh, Norm Valance
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:24 PM

Flow Master Muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsSol View Post
A Flow Master or MagnaFlow muffler will give you a throaty sound. No need to replace the entire exhaust system.
I went the Flow Master route and regretted it on my 06 Sly. It was too loud for me in the cockpit and in 5th gear if you lugged the engine at all it reverberated inside the car badly. I drove the car like that for several years and finally had the Flow Master removed and the original muffler reinstalled. To each his own but the Flow Master was not for me.

Sly - everything but Onstar.
Mods - Clearbra 3M tape, splash guards, PCMforless.com custom dyno tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode