wimpy sounding '06 2.4l Sol - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
I think more cam shaft would help too.....I too dont want a lot of noise, but I do want flow and to hear a nice sound when I step on it,I enjoy quiet when cruising around & down the highway.
Cam changes aren't a great way to alter exhaust sound as it isn't easily predictable and can wind up with the wrong profiles for your driving style.

These guys make the best exhaust components I've seen - https://shop-solo-performance.com/en...stice-24l.html

That rear system, if it suits the budget, should solve the issue. $334, owner installable and reported to improve the sound - you could post for actual users here to see who knows first hand.

Sting Ya likes this.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:57 AM

Garage
High Flo cat from Solo with the stock exhaust has helped out NA to sound a bit better.

2006 NA, manual, DDM short shifter,
ST shocks, DDM braces, FE3 bars, Nitto tires,
Solo cat, CAI, RPM-Motorsports Stage II tune
Wind Restrictor

GOING ZOOMIN
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:34 PM

Garage
I have a stock GXP exhaust in Denver I'd sell cheap.

My dad just tried to find the best prices for a factory GXP rear valence. Through all his research the Hendricks GM dealership in North Carolina was by far the cheapest. This is the same Hendricks Motorsports of NASCAR.

He ended up ordering through them partly because of the best price and partly because he wanted something from Hendricks, lol.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 02:10 PM

Of all of the 2.4 exhaust options I have heard, and i think I have heard all of them, the only one that sounds good to my ear is the stock one from a GXP/RL.
WickedMike likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:34 PM

Let me start off by saying your not going to get a throaty exhaust sound on the cheap unless you remove the muffler and that ends up sounding annoying . I've had a MagnaFlo cat back system on my car since day two .It's been through a few set ups ,stock , solo header , header and Werks Performance cat ,and now with a Hann turbo kit and I've always enjoyed the sound for me a true sports car sound not like a rice burner . I've never experienced any type of drone with all my set ups and would recommend this system it's well made ,all stainless ,and easy to install .
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Cam changes aren't a great way to alter exhaust sound as it isn't easily predictable and can wind up with the wrong profiles for your driving style.

These guys make the best exhaust components I've seen - https://shop-solo-performance.com/en...stice-24l.html

That rear system, if it suits the budget, should solve the issue. $334, owner installable and reported to improve the sound - you could post for actual users here to see who knows first hand.

I have this axle back exhaust, I did it myself in the garage. I think it sounds great. It has a nice lil throaty sound and it was within my budget.
SolCal likes this.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 12:49 PM

I looked at dual-exhaust options - I really like that look and I have a thing about symmetry. That said, I just didn't want to have $1,200 or more in an exhaust upgrade, when you factor in the exhaust system and a new rear valance. I installed the Magnaflow single-exit cat-back kit and it looks and sounds GREAT. The Solo offering mentioned earlier in the thread is appealing, but I've had Magnaflow systems on several vehicles and I love the sound, the quality, and knowing what I'll be getting when I click the "make purchase" button. The car now has what I think is an authentic British sports car sound and there is no drone. I won't say that this has added power, but it did seem to liven up the car some - or maybe it just feels that way because the audible part of the driving experience is better. The factory system is welded and comes out as one piece. The Magnaflow system comes in three pieces. It could be welded, but it comes with good quality band clamps and I just don't see the need for anything else. Installation is easy as exhaust systems go and the Magnaflow system hangs from the same hangers that the stock system uses. I'm very pleased with the Magnaflow system and I'd recommend this option.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 12:58 PM

Garage
You could always cut the 'D' shape from a stock NA rear valance to stick a pipe tip through - I've even seen that done with a fake pipe tip that didn't connect to anything - same effect on power as a dual system but far cheaper!

I have used Magnaflow on several cars over the years and they are quite decent. FYI, the SOLO products are a step or two above them. And while the cost of stainless is higher, they last far longer.

FWIW, I do not like band clamps except to do a temporary system. I always get it laid out on the car, tack weld the pieces together and take it off to do continuous welds before final fitting. Fussy, but you only have to do it once!

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 01:32 PM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
from the solo Ive seen and that pic of that system I would not put one on my car if given to me. they are not even mandrel bends, crushed tubing....ss mandrel bends are cheep.no reason to use a std crush bender to do it other than making more pocket money. shipping on this stuff can be kinda high too. buy the muffler, buy ss mandrel bends., but I realize not everybody has the ability & equipment to do so. And theirs the solution, a bolt on system if that's what you want/need.just not for me. Ill keep my eyes open for a gxp muffler that shipping wont be too high. sound and flow should be fine for a 2.4 NA.

I suppose if solo would of used 2.75 or 3" tubing with the crush bender it would be ok on flow...but a 2.5 crushed down to about 2" just aint my thing. we have a muffler tubing bender I can do that if I wish to, but mandrels are just better looking and better flowing. mine is a daily driver,not a race car I would be oh so disapointed at the track.it is what it is a low powered fun little car.so Ill do a little and be satisfied...sort of. my other car will have a tad more smile&butt dyno factor..but no AC. we all have priority's and wish list's. this isant my quick car.but still needs to be a tad funner so that big truck dont squish me.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 01:37 PM

my dual outlet magnaflow is SS; the problem is that in a coupe it has a drone...

Bill
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 04:18 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
The Borla on my '06 came with band clamps. Been on their a few years and I haven't had an issue.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode