20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveaux View Post
New Kazera KZ-L wheels https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=50556

Post #8 has the photoshopped wheels.
Sting Ya and easyryderca like this.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:24 AM

If one was going to purchase wire wheels for his solstice what would one need to know or be aware of & what brands to go with? I'm looking for pros & cons to doing it .Thanks.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
Thanks for the pic Chop I knew it was posted somewhere on the forum and could not locate it this was the inspiration for my original search .
ChopTop likes this.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyryderca View Post
If one was going to purchase wire wheels for his solstice what would one need to know or be aware of & what brands to go with? I'm looking for pros & cons to doing it .Thanks.
How big is your wallet ? I posted above that when I did my search I went to Dayton Wire Wheel Company and they were not interested because it would be a one off set of rims, the biggest problem is the bolt pattern and rim off set . I have to believe that if you went with an adapter plate and other type rim the wheel would stick out and another issue would be clearing the caliper .
easyryderca likes this.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I would start with a Google search for wire wheels, wire wheel brands, and/or wire wheel reviews.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the input folks as i have a very limited knowledge on this subject.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:33 AM

Garage
Check tire rack they have a chrome wheel with a lot of spokes , not quite wire but they can show you what it looks like on your car
easyryderca likes this.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:33 AM

Garage
Check tire rack they have a chrome wheel with a lot of spokes , not quite wire but they can show you what it looks like on your car
easyryderca likes this.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 10:34 AM

Back in the day I had some faxsimile wire wheels on my 77 Corvette, in retrospect it was a very, very bad wheel choice. I blame it on my youth, but then again we are talking about the disco era. Basically it was a standard 16 inches wheel that had been chromed and then you'd bolt on two separate wire sections that would interlock and be held on by the center cap. What I like about them the most was how easy it was to remove them, clean them and the chrome wheel and bolt everything back together. Now that I think about it I seem to remember the center cap being held on by a hexagon bolt and having to use a special T key to remove it.
easyryderca likes this.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:39 AM

I take it so far no one has posted on the forum that they have actually gone ahead & installed wire wheels on their car . I have been checking into it over the last few days & most rim & tire stores that are local have said they will get back with me on it. I was amazed at how many catalogues were out there that dealt with trucks rims & low riders. Thanks for the info Sting as what you said got me thinking & asking the right questions.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:17 AM

I assume that you are aware that wire wheels will impair the handling. I have yet to see one that is as stiff as a cast aluminum wheel.
easyryderca likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:37 AM

Garage
Several considerations here.

If you add a splined adaptor to the hub so you can stick splined wire wheels on, you are adding to the unsprung weight which can result in a deteriorating in handling.

If you use the readily available bolt on wires, the wheel centre can be even heavier.

Then there are strength issues. The AC Cobras used wire wheels on the early cars, but switched to knock off Halibrand alloys for the 427 engined cars. My Lamborghini came with knock off Campagnolo magnesium wheels (a very expensive option to put on a Solstice) but Borrani wires were also used. The Aston early DB series used 72 spoke wires. With a lot of power, the wire wheels can be marginal.

On my rebodied MGA, I stuck with wires as I think it gives the car less of a kit car look. They are AC Cobra mounted on Triumph detachable splines, but then I am dealing with only a bit more power than an NA Solstice and with almost 1,000 lbs. less weight.

OTOH, the West coast Jensen dealers offered an option on the Jensen Interceptor of wire wheels made by Zenith in California. The mated with a serrated rather than splined adaptor and seemed to work just fine with a 4,000 lb car with a big block Chrysler, so might also be reasonably durable on a Solstice, though still not advisable for drag racer types, nor solo event participants. They were 7x15"

And in any case not a cheap way to go.

easyryderca likes this.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:34 PM

Thanks Bill & John for taking the time to educate me on the issue. I will stick with what i have for wheels & keep it simple .
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
True spoke rims can be high maintenance. Sometimes you need to tighten the spokes. And, unless they've changed over time, they require an inner tube type of tire.
easyryderca likes this.

---
al_c
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:20 AM

Garage
Dayton makes wheels with sealed wells that can be run tubeless.
easyryderca and al_c like this.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode