Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Your Avg MPG (minimal 100miles)

3K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  terndude 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone! Just got back from a-little trip from Escanaba MI to Marquette MI and back. Which is About 130 miles round trip. I reset my Avg MPG before the trip and couldn’t believe my eyes. By the time my trip was completed, I parked her averaging 38.6 mpg.

On the highway just getting back into Escanaba I averaged... 39.9mpg!! (Posted the picture I took but doesn’t seem to want to work) Ridiculous right? Or wrong? Is this common for everyone? I am just so shocked.

I drive a Stock 2007 GXP, 41-108 Spark Plugs, .040in gap, a K&N air filter, 5w-30 Mobil 1 Extended Performance (15,000miles), Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter (20,000miles). No tune yet.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I suspect you were driving too slow. And try driving with the top down.

All right, perhaps my comments above are not helping this thread. How about:
I get 31 mpg indicated at a steady 70 mph indicated.

#4 ·
I will get 30-32mpg keeping up with 75mph traffic (staying in the draft of other vehicles.)

Given that that section of da U.P. is pretty flat, has a 55mph speed limit, and probably two stop lights along the entire route, 40mpg seems high, but is probably doable if you put in a little effort.

#5 ·
I did a 90 mi. round trip Sunday with speeds in the 50-75 range and average mileage according to the DIC was low 30s. I have found that the best instant mileage is going 50-55 in forth (manual trans) but what fun is that. The last thought when I bought the car was " gee, I hope I get great gas mileage".

Reactions: pyrofreek
#6 · (Edited)
I had my cruise set at 64mph and wasn’t really making an effort because I didn't notice it till on the way back. I did pass about 6 cars hitting 80-90mph and the road from Escanaba to Marquette has a lot of hills actually by taking US 41.

Yeah, it sounds like you guys can experience the same then. I am just really shocked and impressed. Specially when my last thought was good gas mileage.

#9 ·
The Kappa is relatively heavy, has wide tires and non-efficiency-oriented gearing, and has terrible aerodynamics. None of these contribute to good mileage.
On the other hand it is fun and looks amazing (especially the Sky) so don't complain. And, it is normally not driven conservatively, which also doesn't help.

#11 ·
In my '07 GXP I would get a displayed avg of about 26mpg, city and highway. About 30 on the highway.

After the GMPP turbo upgrade, I saw a slight increase. That was on a trip to Maine, well over 100 miles.

In my '08 GXP, I see a displayed avg of 26.5mpg city and highway. About 31 on the highway.

I don't expect the displayed numbers to be gospel but I am gratified to see they are so comparable between the two cars.

Of course, I can make the mileage much worse than those numbers, but I am traveling about 75 on the highway. Both of my GXPs seemed to get worse mileage at 70 than they did at 75, in 5th gear (manual).

#14 · (Edited)
Lol!!!! :joy::joy::joy:. You are fine man! It is all about having fun. If you are looking for GXP, I have seen a couple cheaper ones around me. Let me know if I can help ya find one.

I just gapped my spark plugs before making this page from .040inch to .033inch and just that alone helped everything! I am sure it helped my AVG MPGs and power because I am having a ball accelerating. So maybe consider checking your plugs man.

#24 ·
GXP, dyno tuned. I get 32-34 in city and 39-42 on highway at 80mph. I get better mpg the faster I go.... 80mph seems to be the sweet spot.

#27 ·
my bug will out run most stuff around hear,Im pretty sure my wifes 2.4 honda element will out run my sol.is it running right....I dont know.I did just change the ex actuator, last week but havent felt good enough to take it out for a drive( food poisoning on the 31st of may,( birthday!!)just started walking good yesterday thought I was gonna die, ER visit made it worse...my 84 yearold mom said she had some cipro so I started taking it 2 days ago, it's working!!)

#29 ·
yup i gotta take it eazy,Im used to being in the sun all day, now if I get over 73 degrees...Im about to puke or pass out, but I think thats almost gone now.good thin I have awesome ac in the house and shop.keeping the house at 72 in the florida summer would kill most ac's&pockets. low E windows&radiant barrier's really works wonders on 50 year old southern homes. Im going to attempt to go for a ride today,and possibly get a hair cut while I'm out....or not, Im starten to look like a wookie. at some point I gotta get this car to the dealer for the air bag recall. hopefuly the new accuator fixed the p0014 code and more power and better mpg is a result.

#30 ·
well I went for a ride, it's running much better, better power,still not what Im used to having but it's better than it was.I hope the millage comes up some with the new cam accuator working. the old ones ratteled, new ones dont. also much quieter uppon start up, no more waite for oil pressure to quieten it all down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.