Coupe Top Rattle - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Coupe Top Rattle

As my basic warranty is coming to an end this month, I took the car in to get one door sill plate replaced (they glue the 'Solstice' silver plate to the plastic surround but don't supply the inset separately so have to replace the whole lower sill cover assembly - seems pretty silly to me and i wonder why they don't just have a generic sill cover and individual Solstice/Sky insets, but hey - they must know what they are doing or they'd probably have gone bankrupt by now.....)

I figured what the heck, give them another shot at the coupe top, which had developed another rattle from the passenger side. They shimmed the right hand latch and said that caused a rattle on the driver side as well, and the whole thing seems tight as a drum now, better than it has ever been.

Thought I'd mention it as all the coupes will be coming of the 3 year warranty potion now (driveline continues another couple of years).

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 10:04 PM

I have a creaking, snapping, popping sound that comes from both right and left front corners. I think I will take it in and see what they can so as well. If not, I will see if I can fix the problem myself. Also, do not hit a rabbit at 60mph with the front air dam; it breaks the little brackets or clips on the chin part and drops the air dam down a little. The little brackets broke and only the pins are left that the air dam attached to. I hope I do not have to replace the whole front end panel. Anyone with suggestions?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:47 AM

I took my Coupe in because the Service Air Bag light was on. I told them to fix the roof rattle too, I hope they know what they are doing. I took it to a Chevy dealer hoping that they might know about these kinds of issues with Corvettes.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:51 PM

I took the coupe in a few months back brcause the right side was making noise. They fixed it. I have never taken the roof off but this would make it the 2nd time the dealer has (1st time was the headliner recall when I first got it). raider68 is your first name Jared and do you play on the O line?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 10:26 PM

Jeff, no not Jared but I did play right guard.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff465 View Post
I took the coupe in a few months back brcause the right side was making noise. They fixed it. I have never taken the roof off but this would make it the 2nd time the dealer has (1st time was the headliner recall when I first got it). raider68 is your first name Jared and do you play on the O line?
Mine had that recall done before the car was sold, but the dealer has had the top off twice attending to rattles. I've never taken it off and probably never will. Wish it was welded on!

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster

Bill in BC
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 09:02 AM

Put one of those backbone plates under the car and you'll never hear another creak from the top.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Mine had that recall done before the car was sold, but the dealer has had the top off twice attending to rattles. I've never taken it off and probably never will. Wish it was welded on!
I agree Bill, with the roof off it breaks up the flow too much. The first time I took it to the local Pontiac dealer, they were surprised that the selling dealer had not done the headliner(flew one way to El Paso to get the only coupe in the country that matched what I would have ordered).
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8gt09 View Post
Put one of those backbone plates under the car and you'll never hear another creak from the top.
I think Bill has one of those already.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have the backbone, Probeam and LV front brace.

I conclude that this is not an issue related to chassis flexibility, although I expect that flexibility might exacerbate it. It is simply a latch pressure issue that can be addressed by properly tensioning the pressure on the hold down latches.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe

Bill in BC
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:17 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to LiquidPT Send a message via MSN to LiquidPT
Quote:
Originally Posted by g8gt09 View Post
Erm, no. I have one and the top latch on the driver side creaks when it's hot. If I partially open the latch (creating more pressure) it stops...

I really need to get in there and shim it.

LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 09:48 AM

Speaking of, I put my top on for the first time in a while (taking in for new stereo head unit) and just don't know how you guys do it. I'll say it was nice to have the a/c blowing when it is 100 plus outside, but it is impossible to see out of, is a little claustrophobic and hard to get in and out of. Plus, with the V8, I miss the symphony that I get with the top off. Anyway, I know a lot of you drive with the top on exclusively and I agree that the lines look great, but to me, the coupe is an open only proposition.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 10:00 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to LiquidPT Send a message via MSN to LiquidPT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbindley View Post
Speaking of, I put my top on for the first time in a while (taking in for new stereo head unit) and just don't know how you guys do it. I'll say it was nice to have the a/c blowing when it is 100 plus outside, but it is impossible to see out of, is a little claustrophobic and hard to get in and out of. Plus, with the V8, I miss the symphony that I get with the top off. Anyway, I know a lot of you drive with the top on exclusively and I agree that the lines look great, but to me, the coupe is an open only proposition.
Because I live in a region where that's not practical 10 months out of the year?

LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 10:19 AM

Of course, I understand that weather requires the top, as it should for me here in the summer, but I just drive it less or early/late when it is not brutally hot. I was just commenting on how different the experience is.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:55 PM

Help, does anyone know of a shop that can stop the top rattle. It makes driving the coupe irritating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode