Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Looking for a hardtop for a coupe

5K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Dox1974 
#1 ·
I posted in the market place for the forum but it was suggested I put this in the coupe specific area. Looking for a hardtop for the coupe. Only have the folding softtop and I’d like to have the proper hardtop.

#4 ·
It appears that is just the panel, and not any of the hardware, weather stripping, etc to make it a complete top.

It would be very useful if someone had a damaged top that could be salvaged for all of the other pieces, though.

#3 · (Edited)
Only have the folding softtop and I’d like to have the proper hardtop.
FWIW, I've never seen a targa hardtop advertised for sale on the forum (I've read your previous thread), though I do seem to remember a used one (silver?) advertised on Ebay about a year ago. Is there anyway you can try and get the name of the previous owner (the OEM top has to be around somewhere)? Otherwise the Ebay ones are the only ones I've ever seen for sale. Also check WickedMikes Coupe Registry thread to see if the VIN was previously listed by a past owner.

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f114/coupe-registry-12-15-2018-a-157097/

#7 ·
Yeah I don’t think I want to try to assemble one from parts from different sources. I think that might be a futile effort. I was hoping to find something used. I’m in no particular rush so I’ll just keep an eye out on eBay etc.

#9 · (Edited)
Well that's a new one!

We've seen quite a few soft tops purchased then mothballed and never used - not a bad idea for future car sale enhancement.

This is the first time we've seen a sale where the hard top didn't go with the car.

The weather stripping rubbers for the body where the top fits are NLS IIRC, so best bet is to find a wrecked (but not rolled!) coupe and carefully remove all the rubber bits for re-use with the top panel.

FWIW, you might contact Norm who was making a faux coupe roof for the convertibles using a coupe as a base for measurement etc. He might have the old top he was measuring if he hasn't sold it.

#12 · (Edited)
Here's a couple pics of Norms race hardtop. Norm used an OEM coupe to create the mold, and then advertised it for sale afterwards, though I'm not sure it ever sold.

A pic for nostalgia, OEM top engineered into three pieces so that you could store it in the hatch. Fun fact, I watched a video several years ago of an interview w/coupe production designer Jose Gonzales saying that the L&R ridges molded into the hardtop were a homage to the verts humps.

#15 ·
I wood love one of those norms tops if the price was right.not for race, for every day.like today, in the rain,i love this car in the rain as my last car had engine out in the breezzee and no ac or defrost...this solstice is awesome in the rain!!!!even with the lower power.

#16 ·
Well my search continues... I thought I had found one but turns out to be the wrong part. I thought I would post what I did find as it might be very useful to people out there. Looks like a complete upper back half of a coupe in dark blue. Including the glass. The company didn’t even know they had it until I asked. If anyone is interested let me know and I can provide the info.

#20 ·
Red Line Autoparts now has the Targa top off the wrecked Black coupe they are parting out listed, not cheap $999.00 but cheaper than what I have seen the soft tops go for.

Reactions: easyryderca
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.