5Likes
  • 1 Post By wspohn
  • 1 Post By DaveOC
  • 2 Post By ChopTop
  • 1 Post By wmf246

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Looking for a hardtop for a coupe

I posted in the market place for the forum but it was suggested I put this in the coupe specific area. Looking for a hardtop for the coupe. Only have the folding softtop and I’d like to have the proper hardtop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:12 PM

Garage
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dox1974 View Post
Only have the folding softtop and I’d like to have the proper hardtop.
FWIW, I've never seen a targa hardtop advertised for sale on the forum (I've read your previous thread), though I do seem to remember a used one (silver?) advertised on Ebay about a year ago. Is there anyway you can try and get the name of the previous owner (the OEM top has to be around somewhere)? Otherwise the Ebay ones are the only ones I've ever seen for sale. Also check WickedMikes Coupe Registry thread to see if the VIN was previously listed by a past owner.

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...2018-a-157097/

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 08-06-2019 at 07:27 AM.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:25 AM

It appears that is just the panel, and not any of the hardware, weather stripping, etc to make it a complete top.

It would be very useful if someone had a damaged top that could be salvaged for all of the other pieces, though.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
It appears that is just the panel, and not any of the hardware, weather stripping, etc to make it a complete top.

It would be very useful if someone had a damaged top that could be salvaged for all of the other pieces, though.
Good to know, thanks! It looks like the hardware might be available on eBay as well, I'm not positive though.

I'm honestly just trying to figure out what the OP is actually looking for. Their description is.....lacking a great deal of info.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveaux View Post
Good to know, thanks! It looks like the hardware might be available on eBay as well, I'm not positive though.

I'm honestly just trying to figure out what the OP is actually looking for. Their description is.....lacking a great deal of info.
You might have missed this post in his other thread, it clarified things a lot, I think:
Quote:
Sorry. Yes a recent addition to my garage is a black 2009 solstice gxp coupe... 1 of the 1200 or so as stated. Only has a collapsible soft top. Not sure if the hardtop was lost or damaged or what but I would like to add one. Needs some other work as well but this would be the hardest to find since everything else it would have in common with the convertible

John
Lexington, KY
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I don’t think I want to try to assemble one from parts from different sources. I think that might be a futile effort. I was hoping to find something used. I’m in no particular rush so I’ll just keep an eye out on eBay etc.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Yeah I donít think I want to try to assemble one from parts from different sources. I think that might be a futile effort. I was hoping to find something used. Iím in no particular rush so Iíll just keep an eye out on eBay etc.
Assuming that part is available, it does open the way to rebuild a badly damaged one.

John
Lexington, KY
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:09 AM

Garage
Well that's a new one!

We've seen quite a few soft tops purchased then mothballed and never used - not a bad idea for future car sale enhancement.

This is the first time we've seen a sale where the hard top didn't go with the car.

The weather stroipping rubbers for the body where the top fits are NLS IIRC, so best bet is to find a wrecked (but not rolled!) coupe and carefully remove all the rubber bits for re-use with the top panel.

FWIW, you might contact Norm who was making a faux coupe roof for the convertibles using a coupe as a base for measurement etc. He might have the old top he was measuring if he hasn't sold it.
easyryderca likes this.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

How would I contact Norm? New to this and no idea how to find someone.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:30 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
How would I contact Norm? New to this and no idea how to find someone.
normsfiberglass(dot)com

Norm's Fiberglass Design Studio

(574) 255-7843

Norm Vandermee

Best to call.

easyryderca likes this.

1st 1K - #741

Last edited by DaveOC; 08-08-2019 at 09:34 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 05:21 AM

Here's a couple pics of Norms race hardtop. Norm used an OEM coupe to create the mold, and then advertised it for sale afterwards, though I'm not sure it ever sold.

A pic for nostalgia, OEM top engineered into three pieces so that you could store it in the hatch. Fun fact, I watched a video several years ago of an interview w/coupe production designer Jose Gonzales saying that the L&R ridges molded into the hardtop were a homage to the verts humps.
easyryderca and TVRBill like this.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 08-09-2019 at 05:34 AM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 08:30 AM

Welcome Dox. I have been looking for a salvaged coupe & have had no luck so far. I'm still looking for the windshield weather strip oem part number 20818154 for the coupe. I hope you are able to get a hard top .
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
Here's a couple pics of Norms race hardtop. Norm used an OEM coupe to create the mold, and then advertised it for sale afterwards, though I'm not sure it ever sold.

A pic for nostalgia, OEM top engineered into three pieces so that you could store it in the hatch. Fun fact, I watched a video several years ago of an interview w/coupe production designer Jose Gonzales saying that the L&R ridges molded into the hardtop were a homage to the verts humps.
pictures of a storable targa almost brings a tear to my eye, I wish there was such a thing. I remember way back when there was someone who was trying to make a 2 piece, but I don't know how successful they were

Bill
easyryderca likes this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 03:31 PM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
I wood love one of those norms tops if the price was right.not for race, for every day.like today, in the rain,i love this car in the rain as my last car had engine out in the breezzee and no ac or defrost...this solstice is awesome in the rain!!!!even with the lower power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode