Plasti-Dipped my wheels today - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Plasti-Dipped my wheels today

Took some advice from another forum member. Looks good, it's cheap, and reversible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 06:15 PM

Looks great!
I actually just did my whole car, calipers and the winter rims! I love it. check out www.dipyourcar.com & their youtube channel!

I chose to do mine Satin Black...I did 3 coats black, then 2 coats with 50:50 ratio of Gloss:Clear(Matte)
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

What type of spray gun did you use?
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 06:55 PM

on dipyourcar they have a "pro car kit" and it comes with a gun and compressor...actually it comes with everything you need
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 06:55 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to LiquidPT Send a message via MSN to LiquidPT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseB View Post
Looks great!
I actually just did my whole car, calipers and the winter rims! I love it. check out www.dipyourcar.com & their youtube channel!

I chose to do mine Satin Black...I did 3 coats black, then 2 coats with 50:50 ratio of Gloss:Clear(Matte)
Those look like my winter rims (also plastidipped) on my black Sol. only different is mine is a coupe.

LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 07:19 PM

Just my opinion not a real big fan of satin or flat black cars except on hot rods or rat rods hell I used to wax my beaters ! Goes back to my youth when guys did stuff like that because they could not afford a decent paint job . So I got to ask how hard is this stuff to take off and how durable is it cause on Jesse's car the stuff looks like it's peeling off the lower front fender . Again diversity is what makes the world go round and if that's the look you want to achieve that's OK by me .
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

The durability of the stuff is mediocre. I did the rims on the truck that I have about six months ago and they're starting to peelon the plus side it's cheap and easy to do. I figure this gives me a way to make sure that I like the flat black wheels for my croup and when they start peeling in five or six months I may just go ahead and invest in some black rims
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 08:07 PM

I think the center caps should be black, chrome lug nuts look good (reminds me of the A33 Mopars).
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 08:07 PM

Your car looks Great brazenorangecpe!!! The black and orange is awesome!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 08:13 PM

For something like this to try and see how a rim or stripe would look I can understand but to fully spray such a beautiful car and with all the great colors these cars come in well I just don't get it . But once again I'm an old timer and I love the look of a great paint job whether it be on a Solstice ,Jag, 32 Ford ,or even a Vega it's truly something that I appreciate , I look at what Rob and some other members have done to their cars as far as paint and design go and to me they are truly works of art and as far as the rims go I love the look of course I'm a little prejudiced

Last edited by Sting Ya; 12-03-2014 at 08:16 PM.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 08:54 PM

Sting Ya: That part is not peeling, that part was improperly masked (by me) and was never actually painted all the way. It is fixed now, all I had to do was spray around it, the stuff is very versatile.

The durability is pretty good, especially for the cost. I can cover it in this rubber spray to protect it from the salt and cinder they dump on our roads for the winter. Then peel it after the winter and my car will not need all the paint chips repaired.

There are tons of choices of colors for plasti dip and there is also a Glossifier which can get it pretty darn glossy. Not OEM clearcoat glossy, but close. There is talk of a new glossifier that they already have that can get even closer, but they have not released it to public yet.

I chose the satin black for a stealth look. I carbon fiber wrapped my mirrors, gas cap, spoiler, and door handles.

It is very hard to compare my $150 plasti dip paint job, that I can peel when I dont want it or even spray overtop a new color to someone like Robs paint job that could very well be 10x that amount.

@brazenorangecpe: how many coats did you do on the rims? I did 6, and they have already stood up through snow/sleet/salt/mud/gravel...etc
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 08:58 PM

those are 2 examples of the current plasti dip glossifier.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 11:00 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to LiquidPT Send a message via MSN to LiquidPT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseB View Post
It is very hard to compare my $150 plasti dip paint job, that I can peel when I dont want it or even spray overtop a new color to someone like Robs paint job that could very well be 10x that amount.
Oh, I think Rob's paint job is well north of $1500. I think you may be missing a zero...

LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 01:49 AM

Hell of a lot you can do with Plastidip. Those cars look great.

The durability of plastidip is also dependent on prep and the number of coats. It really is something else. So far my stuff is only about two months old but is holding up pretty well.

07 Saturn Sky 2.4
Midnight Blue
MagnaFlow dual outlet exhaust
GMPP CAI

Info above for both my Skys. One owned from 06-07, one from 14 to present
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff465 View Post
I think the center caps should be black, chrome lug nuts look good (reminds me of the A33 Mopars).
I agree. That'll take 10 minutes to fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode