What I learned at NASSAM19 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Location: Cleveland Heights OH in summer, Tucson AZ in Winter
Garage
What I learned at NASSAM19

The next Kappa would have been ..... a Saab. Specifically a Sonett. The prototype was not a coupe but it should have been, all production Sonetts were coupes. Thank you Salvador.

SteveBot39
Winter Solstice, Tucson AZ - '09 NA Automatic Cool Silver Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow cat and exhaust, ESTuned; GXP sway bars, DDM chassis kit; Stoptech brakes; Michelin PSS tires; Pioneer radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL N AZ

Summer Solstice, Cleveland Heights OH - '09 NA Auto Mysterious Black Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow, DDM chassis kit, Hawk brake pads, Conti EC Sport tires on Black ASA wheels, Advent radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL 4 OH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:39 AM

There were a number of far-fetched kappa platform concepts floating around during the early 2000's. I wouldn't say any of them had better odds of seeing production than the others.

The Sonnet in particular was supposedly given the green light to go into production with a dual clutch transmission that never existed. Not then, not now.

Most of the concepts would have required stretching and modifying the chassis to the point that GM was much better off just using the larger Alpha platform - which is exactly what happened.
Sting Ya likes this.

2007 Solstice GXP
#3 ASP, DET and NWOR SCCA
"It's a Kappa - not a classic"
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:26 PM
Founding Member

And all that was schedule to start at Bowling Green on 2012.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 04:08 PM

On a different 'learning' (and this will be of interest to @wspohn )... We had Stan Kaminsky as guest speaker at the closing banquet. He had worked at the Delaware plant for the entire span of the Kappa production as a vendor rep for the fascias - and before Kappa as an GM employee. He gave a very interesting talk on Kappa production and has written a book (due out toward the end of the year) full of production facts and data and photos.

Anyway, after the talk I went over to him and his buddy Tom, who also worked at the plant, and asked him the age old question of why the windshield surrounds were silver rather than body color. He said (and Tom agreed) that it was easier to produce that way, rather than over-paint the silver chassis with a particular body color and have to match the chassis to a body on the line.
Rick Bennett likes this.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:31 PM

Sorry Soup, but I don't buy that for a second. While it was undeniably one less thing to coordinate, the fact that all the other panels were still coming together, and that every other car (including the coupes built on the same line) managed to get the correct chassis color make that an incredibly weak argument.

For whatever reason, I assure you it was done for cosmetic purposes. Whether to harken back to an old British roadster, or simply because the brushed/bare aluminum look was incredibly popular in the early 2000s, we will probably never know.
Sting Ya likes this.

2007 Solstice GXP
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:10 PM

Just to add some fuel to the fire, here is a 2005 post from gminsidenews.com

Quote:
07-07-2005, 10:45 PM #5
thatoneguy
Re: Solstice Colors
The windshield frame is always silver because it harkens back to old style convertables that had chrome frames... at least thats what the guy at the solstice display at the Detroit autoshow said.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1734 View Post
. . . . we will probably never know.
When one does not believe the people working at the plant we will definitely never know ;-)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
When one does not believe the people working at the plant we will definitely never know ;-)
In reality, the people working at the plant rarely know why they do the things they do. and most of them don't care.

In this case I believe that there is enough anecdotal evidence to support the idea that the silver was intended to add to the resemblance of the Solstice to classic British roadsters. It is certainly true that painting was easier because of it, but that is only because of the design and production process chosen. That design and process could easily have been chosen based on the intended result (silver windscreen frames) rather than the other way around.
Sting Ya and phil1734 like this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:22 AM

I can't believe how often I've agreed with John lately.

Am I getting old?

2007 Solstice GXP
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
I can't believe how often I've agreed with John lately.

Am I getting old?
I'm not sure how to take that, especially the second line. But it (the agreeing) disturbs me also.

John
Lexington, KY
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:44 AM

ok i got it.

Last edited by YO MUDA; 06-18-2019 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spelling
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Sorry Soup, but I don't buy that for a second. While it was undeniably one less thing to coordinate, the fact that all the other panels were still coming together, and that every other car (including the coupes built on the same line) managed to get the correct chassis color make that an incredibly weak argument.
There were 4 years of (minimized cost) production before the coupes were added, so they could well have 'worked out the kinks' by then. Again, I'm just reporting what those guys said.

Quote:
For whatever reason, I assure you it was done for cosmetic purposes. Whether to harken back to an old British roadster, or simply because the brushed/bare aluminum look was incredibly popular in the early 2000s, we will probably never know.
On what do you base your 'assurance'?

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:21 AM

Maybe you are both right!

Pontiac lover & VietNam vet.
08 GXP 5speed Sly
69 Firebird 350 Carousel Red Convertible t-5
08 Grand Prix Ink Slate - Winter grocery getter
09 G8 Switchblade Silver- Summer daily driver
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:35 AM

No Sonett would be a Sonett without a Ford V4 under the hood

Just like the Supra wouldn't be a Supra without a straight 6.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
On what do you base your 'assurance'?
My ISO/TS 16494 certification backed up with 15 years of being way too close to the GM BIQS/QMS working as a manufacturing and quality engineer for a Tier 1 supplier.

Trust me, I love to geek out over weird production things like this (we typically refer to them as "quirks," or if management is around, "value added features") so if there's a story here I'd love to hear it. It may very well be that there was some reason for it and some marketing guy made up the part about british roadsters because it fit the bill at the time, but the simple inability to coordinate colors on the line is ridiculous.

For starters, no other vehicle has ever run into this alleged kink over the past 100 years of assembly line production, let alone taken 4 years to not be solved.

Secondly, Wilmington had been producing perfectly color matched cars for 60 years prior to Solstice production, not to mentioned they matched all the other RPO options those cars had.

And lastly, there are a whole bunch of convertibles that don't match their windshield surround to body color for aesthetic reasons. Typically they go with black these days, but silver (chrome really) was popular for a long time too.

Oh - and don't forget about the tulip panel...
Sting Ya likes this.

2007 Solstice GXP

Last edited by phil1734; 06-18-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode