What I learned at NASSAM19 - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
On a different 'learning' (and this will be of interest to @wspohn )...

Anyway, after the talk I went over to him and his buddy Tom, who also worked at the plant, and asked him the age old question of why the windshield surrounds were silver rather than body color. He said (and Tom agreed) that it was easier to produce that way, rather than over-paint the silver chassis with a particular body color and have to match the chassis to a body on the line.
Not sure I buy that explanation, but it is nice to know we will be getting a new book. I wish Witzenberg had done a second edition of his book with the 'rest' of the story through to the end of production.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1734 View Post
.........Secondly, Wilmington had been producing perfectly color matched cars for 60 years prior to Solstice production, not to mentioned they matched all the other RPO options those cars had.

And lastly, there are a whole bunch of convertibles that don't match their windshield surround to body color for aesthetic reasons. Typically they go with black these days, but silver (chrome really) was popular for a long time too.
I don't think that this has anything to do with being able to track parts. The windscreen surround is part of the main chassis, so the two options are that it be body color or a color that would work with everything. Making all of the chassis the same color is a distinct cost savings, since the paint line would never have to change over and any chassis could be used for any color car. This is a valid argument for silver, and the public justification could be the tie-in with vintage roadsters. Or not.

Most of the cars I have seen with non-body-colored windscreen surrounds have some sort of cladding on the structural frame. Usually for black, and always for chrome. That cladding is an extra cost for both the added parts and the assembly labor required, so eliminating it is another valid cost savings. Paint is also the most durable material, as it seems that a lot of the cladding fades peels or chips and ends up looking like crap. So I guess that is three votes for silver being less expensive.

The bottom line is that none of us know the real story, so it is all speculation until someone who was part of the decision-making process speaks up.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:16 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
The bottom line is that none of us know the real story, so it is all speculation until someone who was part of the decision-making process speaks up.
And the likelyhood of that happening is quite small. How many "someone who was part of the decision-making process speaks up" are on this board?

Zero?

1st 1K - #741
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:33 PM

Garage
Hi! I would ask a question. Not the windshield frame. I would be interested in how the raw body foundation was done. Has it been dipped in a cataphoric bath, or perhaps it has just been sprayed with a primer. Is there a primer in the cavities dipping into the bath? If anyone knows, thank you.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:10 PM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
there are lotsa duel clutches....the trans has little to nothing to do with the duel clutch. but yes it's sad obama killed our cars. just think what if....pensky ( Rodger penske) had bought it like he tried to do....or even gm, look at where they are now with their performance programs, 2.0l cammarow for 1 and much more stuff that is so far supperior than any other chevy/gm has ever been. yes we missed out.so sad. I could of had a 2014 solstice that flies....instead of a 2006 pretty turd....( still looking at turbo systems to unturd mine)....Ill build a header and see if I can live with it or not. new cam accuator did wake it up.but still....
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
I could of had a 2014 solstice that flies....instead of a 2006 pretty turd....( still looking at turbo systems to unturd mine)....Ill build a header and see if I can live with it or not. new cam accuator did wake it up.but still....
There's a guy who was posting on the forum off hand I can't remember his name mad something I believe anyway he's in your part of town and was building his own system . I have a Hann system on mine and would recommend it to anyone .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode