9/24/07 2008 Solstice/Sky 555 car recall - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Location: Under an invisibility cloak, somewhere in the Northeast
9/24/07 2008 Solstice/Sky 555 car recall

Well, we finally have an actual recall to talk about.

GM is in the process of recalling 555 2008 Solstice and Sky models to inspect the inboard seat studs. It is expected that 5% or less (28 cars or less) will need 1 or more of the studs replaced.

Quote:
Condition

General Motors has decided that certain 2008 model year Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky vehicles fail to conform to Federal/Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards 207 and 210 for seating systems and seat belt assembly anchorages. These vehicles may have one or more inboard seat stud fasteners that do not meet GM's specification for strength. In the event of a crash, the seat and seat belt assembly may not restrain the occupant as intended and could result in injury to the occupant.

Correction

Dealers/retailers are to inspect the inboard seat studs, and if necessary, remove the stud and install a bolt.
Owner notification letters are scheduled to be mailed on October 10th. Dealerships that have invloved cars are scheduled to receive lists on October 3rd. The GM Vehicle Inquiry System (GMVIS) should have the selected cars identified as of September 25th.

Quote:
Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2008 model year Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky vehicles built within these VIN breakpoints:

Pontiac Solstice 8Y108600-8Y109991

Saturn Sky 8Y108605-8Y109981

Important: Dealers/retailers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the system(s) below. Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

UPDATE JANUARY 3, 2008

GM has added an additional 962 vehicles to this recall. The mailing to the additional owners will be going out on January 10th. GM VIS, which dealerships use to check things, has already been updated.

The new VIN range is:
Quote:
Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2008 model year Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky vehicles built within these VIN breakpoints:

Pontiac Solstice 8Y108600-8Y116302

Saturn Sky 8Y108605-8Y116318

Important: Dealers/retailers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the system(s) below. Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

INFORMATION POSTED ON SITE
Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, itís attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."

Last edited by Small Dealer; 01-03-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 08:08 AM

Hey I win! And I never win.
My Solstice VIN falls within the range. Guess I'll wait for the official GM recall letter to see if it is really affected.
Thanks for the heads up SD!

2008 Aggressive GXP, 5 speed, fully loaded. Ordered 8/1/2007, delivered 9/14/2007.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmutk View Post
Hey I win! And I never win.
My Solstice VIN falls within the range. Guess I'll wait for the official GM recall letter to see if it is really affected.
Thanks for the heads up SD!
Ditto. Lets see what happens...

Name: "Lucky Star" (Star for short!)
2008 Sly Solstice GXP
Ordered: July 30th, 2007
Delivered: September 19, 2007
Options:
- A/C
- Manual 5spd
- Monsoon Sound System
- Premium Package and Leather w/ Red Stitching
- Metallic Sport Pedals
- Chrome Wheels / Splash Guards
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 01:34 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to zzzybil
thanks sd

appreciate the heads up

BOOsted 2.4

42lb injectors
3" tubes front to back
10 boost
trim 50 garrett t3/t4 custom- bare bones pumpking
38mm tial wastegate / bov
custom i/c (BELL)
Werks radiator
aem wideband
gxp exhaust /magna flo - integrated dumptube
custom manifold (sh**er the skunk )
hi flo cat
HPTUNING -
(tune therapy -> randy @DDM)
JET-HOT 2000
aerologic egt kit
DDM backbone
AEM boost control
custom .08ss heatshield
SPEC 2+ UNsprung

YEAH I DID THAT !
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 09:49 AM

I wonder why this would not include the 2007 models, we are supposed to improve with age. ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Dealer View Post
Well, we finally have an actual recall to talk about.

GM is in the process of recalling 555 2008 Solstice and Sky models to inspect the inboard seat studs. It is expected that 5% or less (28 cars or less) will need 1 or more of the studs replaced.

Owner notification letters are scheduled to be mailed on October 10th. Dealerships that have invloved cars are scheduled to receive lists on October 3rd. The GM Vehicle Inquiry System (GMVIS) should have the selected cars identified as of September 25th.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 12:02 PM

Probably got a bad batch of mounting bolts, since it seems this is what is being replaced. My Sol was in the listed VIN range but I have not been contacted about the recall. I think it did say not all cars in that VIN range would be affected.

2008 Aggressive GXP, 5 speed, fully loaded. Ordered 8/1/2007, delivered 9/14/2007.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmutk
Probably got a bad batch of mounting bolts, since it seems this is what is being replaced. My Sol was in the listed VIN range but I have not been contacted about the recall. I think it did say not all cars in that VIN range would be affected.

While within the vin range, your specific Solstice is not one of the recalled VINs.

Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, itís attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 01:25 PM

Yup, that is what I figured. I am sure I would of received notice im my Sol was affected. Thanks.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE JANUARY 3, 2008

GM has added an additional 962 vehicles to this recall. The mailing to the additional owners will be going out on January 10th. GM VIS, which dealerships use to check things, has already been updated.

The new VIN range is:
Quote:
Vehicles Involved

Pontiac Solstice 8Y108600-8Y116302

Saturn Sky 8Y108605-8Y116318

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 11:59 AM

Bought in late May (08!), but my VIN is within the expanded range - you would have thought that the dealer might have done this before selling the car. I haven't gotten any notices from GM, but my OnStar email claims that this car should be checked, and that it hasn't been yet.

Out of curiosity - do they have to lift the car to check? Given all the conversation about dealers denting the car in lifting, I'm a bit concerned...

Thanks -

Enjoying a BRAZEN Mid-life Crisis!

2008 BRAZEN GXP
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMIowa
Bought in late May (08!), but my VIN is within the expanded range - you would have thought that the dealer might have done this before selling the car. I haven't gotten any notices from GM, but my OnStar email claims that this car should be checked, and that it hasn't been yet.

Out of curiosity - do they have to lift the car to check? Given all the conversation about dealers denting the car in lifting, I'm a bit concerned...
Yes you car is showing that the recall is currently "open". That could mean one of two things. It has not been done, or it has been done but that the warranty claim submitted by the dealership hasn't passed through the system. Unlikely that a month after delivery the claim hasn't been submitted. So best to assume that the recall needs to be done.

It is something that should have been done before you took delivery of the car.

Finally, the car may have to be lifted. The first step of the recall procedure is to inspect the inboard seat adjuster studs. If any of them fail the inspection they must be replaced.
Replacement happens from under the car. The replacement procedure does advise the tech to check the service information for the proper lifting procedure.

By all means, feel free to point out to the service department, or leave a note in the car or on the outside to lift carefully and properly.

Last edited by Small Dealer; 06-29-2008 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling or typing error
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the info, SD! I'll try to make the point to them without being too obnoxious. I did note when I set this up that this was the first one of these they've done - but I know they sold at least 4 SOLs this year that were all ordered together, so they probably didn't do any pre-sale...

I'll see how it goes....Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode