Car Died - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By kellanlaw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Car Died

Hey guys, so my car has been great except it's been feeling a bit sluggish lately and it's been idling funny. After checking the throttle body I learned that it was very dusty and dirty, so I changed out my intake filter and cleaned it with carb cleaner. Afterwards car was a little flooded but started up and actually ran great, even idling better! Drove it all the way home, put some stuff in the house, go back in it and went to the bank. I got about a half mile down the road and as I was turning onto the highway (didn't gas it hard or anything) the engine sounded like it was misfiring so I slowed down and then a bunch of white smoke came out from under the hood and out the exhaust. We had to tow it home. Got new spark plugs for it, gaped them accordingly (aftermarket turbo system is on it) and just now whenever we try to turn it over it has made a clunk sound. Anybody have any idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 03:46 PM

Ouch. I think a new engine is in your future. The white smoke symptoms sound catastrophic.

Sorry

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

So after a bit more investigating, turns out one of my aftermarket injectors is flooding my back cylinder. Time to get some new ones!
sirwm, ChopTop and raygun like this.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 07:36 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Ouch. I think a new engine is in your future. The white smoke symptoms sound catastrophic.

Sorry
To be fair, that could be anything that lets coolant out under the hood (broken radiator, radiator hose, turbo coolant pipe, yada yada.) none of which are particularly difficult or expensive to fix.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 07:46 PM

Make sure when replacing your fuel injectors they are identical to what you have in there or you will need to be retuned, especially with an aftermarket turbo. This car sounds like it might be a bit too much for you with all of the aftermarket equipment to keep it running correctly. I hope I'm wrong as if you don't know what/how to use on a car with aftermarket, you're setting yourself up for a money pit....

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun View Post
To be fair, that could be anything that lets coolant out under the hood (broken radiator, radiator hose, turbo coolant pipe, yada yada.) none of which are particularly difficult or expensive to fix.
Or a crappy aftermarket turbo leaking oil.

Not every out of place mis-fire or funny smell requires a new engine lol.

2007 Solstice GXP
#3 ASP, DET and NWOR SCCA
"It's a Kappa - not a classic"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 07:41 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1734 View Post
Or a crappy aftermarket turbo leaking oil.

Not every out of place mis-fire or funny smell requires a new engine lol.
Yeah... if I did that, the '06 would be on engine #10 instead of #4.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode