• 2 Post By WintR
  • 3 Post By 4501 Safari
  • 3 Post By syjos
  • 1 Post By syjos
  • 1 Post By raygun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Flex Sockets and Pass through sockets...

Is there any particular job on the Kappa platform that you've felt the need to have flex sockets or pass through sockets?

I ordered a Metric/SAE combo set of Gearwrench flex sockets from TOOLSid they didnt send me the SAE set. They claimed that the combo set promotion was no longer going on and I wouldn't be getting a SAE set. They told me if I wanted to return the Metric set that I would have to pay my own shipping to return it, and I wouldn't get my original shipping ($17) back. It only took a couple emails from me offering to file a dispute with my CC company claiming false advertisement from TOOLSid before they offered to give me a full refund plus pay shipping back. Now that the metric set is being returned I'm questioning whether or not I even need a set of flex sockets. I've never had them before and have managed to get all jobs performed successfully. If anyone can tell me a job that they just had to have the lower profile of a flex socket vs flex joint + socket then I'd be more inclined to rebuy one.

How about a pass through socket set?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:19 AM

"It's better to have a tool and not need it than need a tool and not have it " a rule I live by . I don't know how much you work on your cars and that for me is the answer . I've spent a lifetime fixing ,rebuilding , and modifying cars and bikes ,stuff around the house and it always ends up that I'm in the middle of something and need a specific tool . Through the years I've acquired 2 complete tool boxes and I have tools that I've only used once but I have them . I have a pass through socket set and it has come in handy more then once it's a great tool to have in your box
Saveaux likes this.

Last edited by Sting Ya; 03-07-2019 at 10:26 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:43 AM

I have a pole barn about 150 feet from my house and "heavy wrenching" always occurs in that building. When I decided to stock a tool box in the house garage, mostly for tweaking things on the Solstice and household projects/repairs, I decided to buy a socket set with a flex head "just in case". I've used it a couple of times per year since buying it. Again, not an "essential" but it has come in handy several times.

My son bought me a set of pass-through sockets 3 years ago for Christmas. Haven't used them once yet, but as Sting expresses - when I need 'em, I got 'em. I don't like to waste money any more than anyone else, but I've owned the "major usage" tools for many years now. I won't hesitate to suggest the "nice but not necessary" tools as gift ideas from my family.
Sting Ya and Saveaux like this.

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:46 AM

That sounds like a good rule. I've bought tools that looked interesting might have been 5 years before I used it and only once or twice after that. I probly got some that I never used. A lot more of the fasteners are metric now
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 11:37 AM

This is hanging on my wall right now. Regardless, I have never bought a tool that I didn't at least have an expectation that I would use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190307_133450148.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	94073  

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 01:27 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
If I see a tool I don't have I bring it home. I have a lot of people who use my tools as well. I have a tool set in both my trucks and my trailer. I have generally four of everything that I have collected over the years. My wife and kids buy me tools for birthdays and Christmas. three walls of my garage are home to tool boxes. You can never have too many tools.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 05:18 PM

I'm always on the lookout for tools that provide some sort of different access. Whenever I come across any wrenches, pliers, etc with some sort of offset, angle, size or flexibility that I don't currently have I will buy them if they're reasonably priced. It never fails that I find a use for them within a couple of months.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
You can never have too many tools.
Well, except in the office . . .
Sting Ya, raygun and Saveaux like this.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 05:23 PM

My favorite phrase is 'He who has the most tools, wins!'

Deep, steel/sand, loaded except standard radio and no smoker's; #08974
Mods: Kappasphere CAI, Clear Image Shorty Header, second horn, visor decals, mudflaps, tonneau cover, brake light flasher, trailer hitch, 'lil Chromies, trunk monkey, retune, DDMWorks backbone, GMPP Suspension, wood grain dash, Solo Quiet cat-back exhaust, deleted:Solo high-flow cat
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:45 AM

Thumbs up Two good wrench sets...

When the HPFP fails on the road and you are out there alone but have packed a spare and the related pieces, I hope you will have this: 6 Piece Flex Head Flare Nut Wrench Set - Metric as found on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1 and perhaps a puller for the wiper arms so you can remove the cowl panel. You actually only need to carry the wrenches that will release the HPFP and the wiper arm nuts. There's also an Extra Long Flex-Head Ratcheting Box End Wrench Set , (6-point), that allows you to get to that one bolt holding the belly pan under the transmission without messing with the exhaust. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

I would always do the balance between having something done, and worrying about the level of care, or buying the tool(s) and doing it myself. Buying the tools usually won out, less often now that I'm older with less strength and flexibility. Still have the desire, knowledge and patience though.

We don't want to think about it but someone is going to think they've hit the jackpot at our estate sales.

Richard Snipes
Sting Ya, raygun and syjos like this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 09:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4501 Safari View Post

We don't want to think about it but someone is going to think they've hit the jackpot at our estate sales.

Richard Snipes

I have a complete mechanics tool set in my basement shop, garage and boat. Plus a woodworking shop, tools and materials.

I purchase mostly new from Craftsmen but have many tools from garage and estate sales.

After seeing wives and children selling their deceased husbands and fathers tools and toys at estate sales, I told my wife that when I hit 75 or my health starts to decline, I will place price tags on everything I own.
Sting Ya, raygun and 4501 Safari like this.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 04:49 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
When y'all decide to have an estate sale, I hope you call me first.

(If there's not an app for that, there will be soon.)

On a slightly less depressing note: I have a number of tools that I've used once, or rarely. Having the right tool will save you HOURS in some circumstances. For instance, I'd never heard of a crowfoot wrench until I had to pull the turbo off of the '06 for the third time. It saved me a ton of time.

I also hadn't seen pass-trough sockets before, but that would probably have made my recent water pump adventure far more expeditious.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 05:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun View Post

On a slightly less depressing note: I have a number of tools that I've used once, or rarely. Having the right tool will save you HOURS in some circumstances.
I totally agree. I have tools that's been used once or twice in the last 50+ years. When you need them, its handy to have your own instead of trying to find one to rent.

My wife will send you a personal invitation to the estate sale. She has many on her list. All friends.
raygun likes this.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 06:00 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Flex Sockets and Pass through sockets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
I totally agree. I have tools that's been used once or twice in the last 50+ years. When you need them, its handy to have your own instead of trying to find one to rent.

My wife will send you a personal invitation to the estate sale. She has many on her list. All friends.

I just spewed fried rice. It was not fun. Thanks for that.

Not the first time; no more reading the forum while eating or drinking.

Personally, I plan to live forever so my kids can’t get the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sting Ya likes this.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
All friends.

With friends like that, who needs enemas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode