GM Announces Solstice Recall [merged] - Pinion Seal Recall - Page 4 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Administrator

IIRC ... if we were to "dig" into the archives here and the early stages of the pinion seal leaks - the early leaks were blamed on a malfunctioning seal.

Perhaps this recall is just an assurance that ALL vehicles - those who don't frequent forums, those not driven often, those that have not leaked YET, etc. - will indeed be retro fitted with the NEWER pinion seal and thus reduce the odds of further issues in safety as in the two stated in the GM document.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsSol View Post
IIRC ... if we were to "dig" into the archives here and the early stages of the pinion seal leaks - the early leaks were blamed on a malfunctioning seal.

Perhaps this recall is just an assurance that ALL vehicles - those who don't frequent forums, those not driven often, those that have not leaked YET, etc. - will indeed be retro fitted with the NEWER pinion seal and thus reduce the odds of further issues in safety as in the two stated in the GM document.
C'mon, Moms, using logic? Is that fair?

It will be interesting to see how they handle those of us who have had our seals replaced and have had no problems since. The service department where I took mine (same physical location as my selling dealership, but under different owners/name) certainly were well aware of the issue and how to properly lift our cars. I suppose that when I get my letter, I'll just give them a call and see what happens.

Envious, ebony leather, loaded, DDM Stage II S/C, headers/cat/exhaust, 4-piston brakes/slotted rotors, Probeam, Backbone, Lil' Chromies, K-sphere pedals, Kazera KZ-L wheels, the TWEETY door unlock/lock button, High Note horn, Brushed Al door sills, etched/lighted WindRestrictor, white LED map/footwell lights, 3rd brake light pulser. --- She moves!
post #48 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 08:07 PM

Location: buzzard..what buzzard..do you see a buzzard..I didn't see a buzzard...or that little sparrow either- or dat squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenrose View Post
Limited Slip = 'locking'
NO LS = Open
thank you ma'am!

NEOKAPPA's

Some people grow old before their time...I choose to die before I grow old !

Druid (Cool) MERLIN came home 11-15-05 VIN 4495
Clear bra, Stubby antenna, Kappashield, mudguards, Black wheels with Hankook Ventus tires...CAI..SOLO SQR-2 with free flow CAT & SS header DDM Racing backbone and Pro-beam ..painted calipers and wheel center decals. 25% tint windshield ... Vertical Chrome billet grille .. 95K - stay tuned
post #49 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 08:12 PM

Location: buzzard..what buzzard..do you see a buzzard..I didn't see a buzzard...or that little sparrow either- or dat squirrel
I will be contacting my dealership with this information next week and

...as I said before...don't necessarily want a replacement

but if it is offered...and accepted

will be well documented..as Merlin has had no issues since 11-05

NEOKAPPA's

Some people grow old before their time...I choose to die before I grow old !

Druid (Cool) MERLIN came home 11-15-05 VIN 4495
Clear bra, Stubby antenna, Kappashield, mudguards, Black wheels with Hankook Ventus tires...CAI..SOLO SQR-2 with free flow CAT & SS header DDM Racing backbone and Pro-beam ..painted calipers and wheel center decals. 25% tint windshield ... Vertical Chrome billet grille .. 95K - stay tuned
post #50 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 08:19 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid-2 View Post
the whine goes away with the replacement ???????????????

re-thinking earlier post
Yes it does. I can hear the KS1 now.

Amelia Clunkenquiet - She's cool and she made history.
My 2006 All American, Coast 2 Coast, Rt. 66 pics. 22 states, 9,000 miles in 4 weeks roadtrip.
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...ad-trip-20928/
Founder MASC/MASSC
Founder - KAPPAS for the Cause http://www.sollivision.com
Contact [email protected] for info on MASC/MASSC.

2014 NASSM in the POCONOS!
post #51 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 09:02 PM

Replaced my seal at 3,000 miles

Hope they used the new seal, don't have to do it again????
post #52 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 07:56 AM

For all those in the past who suspected there were way more diff problems than some people would admit, here is your vindication. for all those who adamantly denied any major issues, here is your wakeup call to join reality. I've noticed the "defenders" of the diff have remained mostly quiet on this thread.
post #53 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 08:09 AM

i always thought the clunk,whine,leak were all related --i was wrong about that i guess--i did always believe tthat the drivetrain had problems and gm adding the torque bar was my vindication--you just don't do major changes like that to fix " normal " problems--i am happy gm is finally doing something--i am disgusted tho that gm continues to tell people that clunking and whining is normal--my new 07 must be abnormal then because it doesn't do either--i think the main reason i won my lemon case was because gm tried to tell the arbitrater that a leaking diff was normal.......

Last edited by misssol; 12-22-2007 at 08:13 AM.
post #54 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Dealer View Post
Interesting question.

Limited slip and non-limited slip rear differentials use the same part numbers seal and new seal kits.

No specific information has been given to dealerships, or included in the press coverage and NHTSA information.

It does appear that the effected vehilce populations are a little "light" on numbers.

The 18,748 2006 Solstices, 21,310 2007 Solstices and 15,549 2007 Skys are slightly less than the reported build amounts.

It is entirely possible that a non-limited slip rear differential may not "lock up" as the investigated vehicles do, if driven without fluid.

Would not surprise if the recall did just include the limited slip cars.
"Official" production #s
21,273 2006 Solstice
24,018 2007 Solstice
16,567 2007 Sky
2,365 2007 Opel GT, interesting nowhere in the news release is Europe mentioned as recipient of any vehicles with issues.

Since it is apparent that an under spec seal was supplied by the vendor there would always be teh possibility that some prper seals did make it through. The number differences, if between lsd and not would indicate that 88% of 2006 Solstices were shipped with lsd, which I find to be, in my opinion without fact, a very high number. If in the course of usual production that high a percentage of option gets ordered the company generally will make that option standard equipment.

But the best advice in all the above posts, don't ask to have anything done if you don't currently have a problem. If you do have a problem, ask the dealer to check up through the channels to be sure any repair they do in January will be covered if you are beyond your mileage limit on a 2006. Recalls do have a shelf life. So you might pass now if you don't want a sound seal messed with, but watch out for the expiration date. (Ask to get a firewall kit installed in a Fiero today and I think you'll get a blank stare.)

When more than one friend wants to ride shotgun

Pontiac 1926-2010
"We hardly knew 'ya"

Confusion say: "If it ain't broke...give government a crack at it."
post #55 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 10:37 AM

I think this should be added to sticky thread

2007 "Cool" N/A 5 spd Bought Dec 1, 2007
145 cubic inches of fury... Ya I am bringing cubes back

Miles as of Nov 6, 2018 109,000 miles
post #56 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 10:52 AM

According to the NHTSA bulletin you have only ten days after notification to get it to a dealer for inspection and repair - That's not much time - I can't even get mine out of storage till sometime in March or April after the snow leaves>

Ron

Ron

Sly/ebony leather/MP3/Power Pkg./Premium Pkg./Convenience Pkg./ABS/Stick

VIN117129
post #57 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Also, everyone keep in mind, there is no actual recall yet. Only the announcement of a future action. Nothing will show up for anyones VIN if it is run by a dealership or even a call to Pontiac Customer Assistance.
Yep, nothing shows up yet at https://www.mygmlink.com/ for my 2007 GXP.

And I want to Thank Small Dealer for participating on this forum, not only for this thread, but many others as well!

I have to admit, this recall (at this point in time, very early) is a bit hard to figure out. Would I want them to replace a seal that has shown (for me) no signs of trouble whatsoever? Or take the advice of many here that say "if it ain't broke don't fix it" ?

Curious to know if the two incidents noted here:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22359333/

Were after long slow leaks, which I know I would find long before trouble would occur, or after a more sudden failure/ fast leak.....

Hopefully by the time the recall is official, we'll have more info. I expect we will. So I will stayed tuned.....

sunnygator

"Cool" 2007 GXP
Bought from the dealer May 7, 2007
Chromed Wheels- Monsoon Speakers-GM Mud Flaps
Visor Decals-Custom Plate Frame
Carolina Custom Leather Center Console Armrest
Red Brake Calipers with GXP decals
Davie's Hide-a-plate
K&N Air Filter
Dashhawk GEN II
GMPP Stage II Upgrade
post #58 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
The warranty on a recall repair part is the same as any other GM replacement part.

Which ever is longest, the balance of the original Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty (36 months/36,000 miles for 2006s)/Limited Powertrain Warranty (60 months/100,000 miles for 2007s) or 12 months/12,000 miles.
Thanks for the explanation. If I understand then if I only leak a drop or two and monitor any worsening. It might be better off waiting to next DEC to have the fix done in order to get the most warranty??

Mysterious/2 Tone Leather everything but OnStar/XM arrived 12/22/06
post #59 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 03:14 PM

My two cents. For those of you that might be selling your cars in the future, you may want to go ahead and get the recall fix done even though you are not experiencing any problems at the moment. If I were potential buyer of a used Solstice and I knew that a recall had been announced, I for one would make sure that the fix had been completed before I buy the car. Don't want this problem to be the deal breaker. My original 1000 has not had the problem except for the vent leak but I will have the seal replaced anyway.
post #60 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanSol View Post
I am sure GM has been well aware to the differential issue since day one. It has probably recently achieved the status of Cost Effective to do something about it.

I am curious as to the number of Solstice/Sky that will leave the dealerships with brand new seals, and a new set of improper lift procedure fender dents LOL. Service with caution my kappa brethren.
So until Feb...
Amen!!!! Brother MeanSol
I currently have two fenders with the "lift dents". The service manager said to bring it in anytime for the repair or replacement.

06 Mysterious, vin 110579 came home 2/06.

08 Brazen GXP, Fully loaded came home 9/10.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Pinot in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'!!!!!!!!!! Got that from a junk e-mail but it works!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Water pump? | P0101 »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode