GM Announces Solstice Recall [merged] - Pinion Seal Recall - Page 5 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
MobiusPrime : For all those in the past who suspected there were way more diff problems than some people would admit, here is your vindication. for all those who adamantly denied any major issues, here is your wakeup call to join reality. I've noticed the "defenders" of the diff have remained mostly quiet on this thread.
This recall involves a leaky seal. No more, no less.

It looks to me as if GM recognized a seal problem from the beginning of reported problems, and started working, or having Getrag work, on a new design. While that was going on, and until they knew the solution was effective, they replaced seals as they failed. The 2008s got the new seal/yoke design, and it seems that GM is now confident that the redesign was successful. So they issue a recall to get the new parts installed.

If this is not an example of the way things are supposed to work, I don't know what is.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
If this is not an example of the way things are supposed to work, I don't know what is.

#118042 11/18/06 GXP Mean Darkside loaded wo On-Star
MODS: ED IC Pipes, Dejon IC, Magnaflow Catback

#1922 12/03/05 (RIP)
Mysterious Steel/Sand w/ 6-Disc Monsoon
Conv., Pwr & Premium Pkgs A/C LSD Carpet Mats
MODS: GM CAI & CATBAck
Dover DE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pontiac builds excitement...
Saturn has rethought it's image...
The time has come for the enthusiasts...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
post #63 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Happily In The Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusPrime View Post
For all those in the past who suspected there were way more diff problems than some people would admit, here is your vindication. for all those who adamantly denied any major issues, here is your wakeup call to join reality. I've noticed the "defenders" of the diff have remained mostly quiet on this thread.
I'm not sure I ever defended the rear diff, but I will point out that, as the old saying goes, "one's perception is their reality". I have no clunk, no whine, no leak. If they can make ONE Solstice in early 2006 with none of these problems in a repeatable manufacturing process, then they can make others. I haven't had time yet to read through this whole thread, but I suspect what we have here is a supplier that had spotty quality. If that is the case, you could say that the design of the Solstice rear diff is sound, but a bad parts supplier compromised that design in some number of cars due to poor quality. Lucklily for me (so far) I haven't had any issues as a result. So, my perception is that that rear diff is just fine.

Matt

Newman27
Atlanta, Georgia
VIN 113486

Mina

Envious / Ebony Leather / Manual Transmission / Touren Wheels
All Options Except: On-Star, Premium Headliner, 6 CD Changer

Fujita CAI, SOLO Performance Shorty Header/Ultra High Flow Converter/CAT Back Exhaust Kit, DDMWorks ProBeam/Backbone Brace/Venom Brace, Z0K Front/Rear Sway Bars, Stage 1 Brake Kit, Short Shifter

Other Vehicles: '72 Opel GT, '99 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS, '09 Pontiac G8 GT
post #64 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
newman27 : I'm not sure I ever defended the rear diff, but I will point out that, as the old saying goes, "one's perception is their reality". .......
I have been told by several of my mentors that "Perception is not reality, but to an individual, it is far more important."
Quote:
misssol : i think by diff problems he is talking about not so much the leaks but the whining and the clunking, which some people here agree with gm by saying they are normal,which they are not----what i would like to see is gm come out and tell the truth and say they added the torque bar to cure the clunk problem and that the diff's that whine could be from running them low on oil instead of insulting people and blowing them off by telling them these obvious problems are normal when now ,by gm finally doing something about them ,is gm's admission that they are not--they actually had the gall to try and tell the arbitraiter at my lemon hearing, that it was normal for a new car to leave puddles of oil
This recall has absolutely nothing to do with the clunking or whining (of differentials), and does not address the leaks caused by vent issues. The fact that the repair now includes the yoke and nut makes it obvious that the problem goes beyond the seal itself, and explains why just replacing the seals did not always solve the problem.

I think it is also important to realize that there are a variety of issues with the differential, and a variety of causes for the symptoms that various people have seen.

There have been at least two varieties of clunk, one under load, and one not. The torque bar is certainly in response to the first, but is unlikely to have any effect on the second. My car exhibits the second clunk. I won't say that I like it, but I know enough about mechanical systems to understand that it is not harmful, and is not a sign of troubles to come.

Whine can certainly be caused by lack of oil, but have all of those who complain about a whine had serious enough leaks that they ignored for long enough to drop the oil level sufficiently to cause damage ? I don't think so. All gearboxes whine. Metal to metal contact causes it, although it is usually at a low enough volume that you cannot hear it. The design of the Kappa makes whine more noticeable at a lower level. That said, just because whine is normal does not mean that all whines are normal. Some are an indicator of problems, some are not. Someone has to make the judgement about which is which, and sometimes they may get it wrong.

Like whines, leaks can be normal under some circumstances. I won't try to understand what was said at your arbitration, as I was not there and have not read a transcript. Taking statements out of context is rarely a good idea.

John
Lexington, KY
post #65 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
normal: of or pertaining to the norm or average.
I have neither the whine nor clunk. If however, these are present in half of the differentials out there, then they are, by definition, "normal."

Now, are they desired? Designed? Proper? Well, those are different questions.

"Normal" has a meaning. Left-handedness is not "normal." (I _am_ a southpaw.) Obesity in America _is_ now "normal" (unfortunately).

Semantic rant over. We return you to your discussion of the pending recall.

Envious, ebony leather, loaded, DDM Stage II S/C, headers/cat/exhaust, 4-piston brakes/slotted rotors, Probeam, Backbone, Lil' Chromies, K-sphere pedals, Kazera KZ-L wheels, the TWEETY door unlock/lock button, High Note horn, Brushed Al door sills, etched/lighted WindRestrictor, white LED map/footwell lights, 3rd brake light pulser. --- She moves!
post #66 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Chemist : Quote: normal: of or pertaining to the norm or average.

I have neither the whine nor clunk. If however, these are present in half of the differentials out there, then they are, by definition, "normal."

"Normal" has a meaning. Left-handedness is not "normal." (I _am_ a southpaw.) Obesity in America _is_ now "normal" (unfortunately).

I think that in the discussion of "normal" behavior for a mechanical system we should use Merriam-Webster's second (or its medical dictionary's first) definition:
2a: according with, constituting, or not deviating from, a norm, rule, or principle
2b: conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern

It does not matter what proportion of examples exhibits the behavior, but whether the behavior conforms to the design standard of the system in question.

John
Lexington, KY
post #67 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Dealer View Post
Take a look at it again.

It says, "GM will provide reimbursement to owners for repairs completed on or before ten days after the owner mailing is completed,..."

What that means is that if an owner pays for a repair, similar to the recall repair, out of their own pocket, they will be reimbursed. But only if the repair is completed before the 10th day after notification of the recall.

Doesn't set any time limits on the repair being done for no charge by a Pontiac dealership under the terms and procedures of the recall when finally announced.

This reimbursement policy, window and decloration is set forth as part of the changes brought about in recalls by the TREAD Act. Which was passed in the wake of the Ford Explorer tires situations.

Also, everyone keep in mind, there is no actual recall yet. Only the announcement of a future action. Nothing will show up for anyones VIN if it is run by a dealership or even a call to Pontiac Customer Assistance.

Regulations require a manufacturer to notify the NHTSA within a specific amount of time, once they decide to conduct a recall. Even if the manufacturer will not be ready for a time to announce and perform the recall. The NHTSA posts that information in their system, where it is easily picked up by the media. Hence the December 21st story for a recall coming months in the future.
I guess I don't understand your post - I have had no problems with my 2006NA- without LS diff. - If I get a recall notice in February and cannot get in to get it fixed till May will I have to pay or will it be covered??

Ron

Ron

Sly/ebony leather/MP3/Power Pkg./Premium Pkg./Convenience Pkg./ABS/Stick

VIN117129
post #68 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist View Post

Yep, Chemist has it. Normal, and right are not the same thing.

Thanks, Dave Russell

Mallett #33
VIN #1G2MB35B27Y106697
Platinum Pearl over Deep
Ebony Leather

Custom Arelli
post #69 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 06:22 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coiran View Post
I guess I don't understand your post - I have had no problems with my 2006NA- without LS diff. - If I get a recall notice in February and cannot get in to get it fixed till May will I have to pay or will it be covered??

Ron
He is saying you will have it covered. That the 10 days is for reimbursement of those who paid for it themselves.

'07 GXP - 3/19/07 - 5 Speed auto - Black/Charcoal Leather - Red stitching- LSD - Monsoon - MP3 - XM - A/C - ABS - Cruise - GXP Floormats - Chrome wheels - Sport pedals - leather visor covers - GM Stage power upgrade - Polished Santana cupholder

my other vehicle is a 2008 jeep wrangler rubicon unlimited
post #70 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
I think that in the discussion of "normal" behavior for a mechanical system we should use Merriam-Webster's second (or its medical dictionary's first) definition:
2a: according with, constituting, or not deviating from, a norm, rule, or principle
2b: conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern

It does not matter what proportion of examples exhibits the behavior, but whether the behavior conforms to the design standard of the system in question.
2a would seem to be in line with my prior definition. The latter does lend itself to a more liberal use. As in, "normal" behavior is that which we expect to observe (based on prior experience). If we have owned other cars that do not whine or clunk, we do not expect this one to. When it does, we classify the behavior as "abnormal."

I would still offer the (rhetorical, granted) argument (not fight, but argument ) that if we owned 12 Solstices and they all whined and clunked, we would then classify that behavior as "normal" (for the Solstice), regardless of which of the definitions proffered we chose to use.

Again, I do not fight with you. I'm simply enjoying the discussion.

I now retreat to watch some football. Enjoy the evening.

--Chemist (can you tell I am a former (mediocre ) debater?)

Envious, ebony leather, loaded, DDM Stage II S/C, headers/cat/exhaust, 4-piston brakes/slotted rotors, Probeam, Backbone, Lil' Chromies, K-sphere pedals, Kazera KZ-L wheels, the TWEETY door unlock/lock button, High Note horn, Brushed Al door sills, etched/lighted WindRestrictor, white LED map/footwell lights, 3rd brake light pulser. --- She moves!
post #71 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with those who said they'd rather let sleeping dogs lie. Given some of the stories we've heard about botched repairs I'm more worried about messing things up when nothing is wrong. We won't know all the details until the letters go out in Feb. but it might end up a visual inspection and repair only if leaks are spotted. Most of us around here already keep a close eye on the rear for leaks.

I've never heard of a recall with a 10 days limit so not sure about that I was actually hoping that having this on record might help those who spring a leak later out of warranty

-2006 VIN #30, First 1000 Series

Pontiac RIP 1926-2009
post #72 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mceb View Post
I agree with those who said they'd rather let sleeping dogs lie. Given some of the stories we've heard about botched repairs I'm more worried about messing things up when nothing is wrong. We won't know all the details until the letters go out in Feb. but it might end up a visual inspection and repair only if leaks are spotted. Most of us around here already keep a close eye on the rear for leaks.

I've never heard of a recall with a 10 days limit so not sure about that I was actually hoping that having this on record might help those who spring a leak later out of warranty
mceb ... reread this portion from Small Dealer:

Quote:
It says, "GM will provide reimbursement to owners for repairs completed on or before ten days after the owner mailing is completed,..."

What that means is that if an owner pays for a repair, similar to the recall repair, out of their own pocket, they will be reimbursed. But only if the repair is completed before the 10th day after notification of the recall.

Doesn't set any time limits on the repair being done for no charge by a Pontiac dealership under the terms and procedures of the recall when finally announced.

Somehow we need to stop perpetuating this misconception.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
post #73 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsSol View Post
mceb ... reread this portion from Small Dealer:

Somehow we need to stop perpetuating this misconception.
Ahhhh thanks, 10 days is only for reimbursement on older repairs paid out of pocket. That makes more sense, thanks

-2006 VIN #30, First 1000 Series

Pontiac RIP 1926-2009
post #74 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Some "problems" are problems, and some are just things that people don't like. It would be interesting to see how you would deal with this situation as the seller who knew what was actually going on.

We agree, both in general principle and in the enjoyment of a good debate.

I will add that if our 12 Solstices all did something that was evidence of a malfunction, and not just a characteristic, for example if they all had leaking pinion seals, it would not be "normal", as it would not conform to the standard that "gearboxes should not leak at their pinion seals".
Touche!

I yield the field.

As a teacher, I will sometimes give work that no one in the class can perform. At whose door shall I lay the blame, theirs or mine? The fault is most often mine in this instance. While it may be possible that all simply to apply what was (rightly) given them, the more plausible explanation is that they were not given the correct tools. If I reteach and retrain and they fail again to "meet the standard", I then can place the onus on them.

Now,... differentials do NOT "normally" leak, so our problem was not normal and GM issued a recall. Their motives are secondary to their actions, IMO.

Last edited by Chemist; 12-24-2007 at 11:18 AM.
post #75 of 272 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 11:58 AM

We have all dicussed this issue way too many times. We all have thoughts one way or the other blaming GM or not blaming GM etc, but I'm not going to go down that road again. So, all I'm going to say on this topic is......

IT'S ABOUT FRIGGIN' TIME !!!!!

Nov 1 06, 11000+ mls, Carrier Unit Replaced due to constant Leak and Whine
June 15 06, 6000+ mls, Leak Is BACK, Overfilled?
Feb 06, 2000+ mls, Leaking Diff. "Carrier Cover Gasket"
Wife got 10/27/05
Car Del. 10/25/05
Invoice and VIN# 10/7/05
Built as of 9/24/05
GM Picked Up 8/9/05
Up To #2 On Dealers List From #3
First 4 Month Allo.
Deep, 2 Tone, Pol. Whls, all but XM & On Star
Ordered Wife's Car Sat after Apprentice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Water pump? | P0101 »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode