Heater/AC Blower not working - New issue not found in post. - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By TomatoSoup
  • 1 Post By Willis Doss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Heater/AC Blower not working - New issue not found in post.

Hello everyone! Long time reader / first time poster.

So I went about all this backwards :-( but it's been a good learning experience none the less.
I replaced the fuse relay (30) in the floor fuse box and confirmed the other two 10/16 were good.
Still did not work
Replaced the blower resister - still did not fix.
Pulled the blower and powered it up and it worked, so I ordered a new wiring harness.
Put the new wiring harness in and still did not work.
So (what I should have done up front :-( ), I ordered a Power Probe 3 and then tested all my connections.

For some reason everything test out except for the ground cable end dongle on the actual motor. It's getting power but no ground.
Anyone else had this issue or know why it would not be getting a ground. Looking at the wiring map but can't really read it so am about to start trying to learn how to read them but thought I would post here first.

Thanks for any help and Thanks for all the help you have provided me in the past from all your post!!

Willis
2006 Base Pontiac Solstice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:55 PM

According to the wiring diagram I have, the power is always supplied, provided the relay 30 is energised. The ground is controlled via the switch on the HVAC control box (center dial) and the blower resistor. So first question is how you are measuring ground? Because if the dial is on (but not high/full speed) there will be resistance to ground via the blower resistor. If on high, that takes a different path through the high speed fan relay.

If we assume for a moment that you ARE measuring correctly, the one point of failure - other than what you've replaced - is the fan speed switch, or the connector to it, behind the HVAC controller box.
rob the elder and ChopTop like this.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Soup!
I took my car to a stereo shop 5 years ago and had a new system put in. After your suggestion I removed my dash to looked at the AVAC controller box and as soon as I started pulling it away the connector to the speed control switch came undone. I am assuming that when they replaced it that they just did not push it back in enough to click. I never would have thought to look there though because all three lights were working -- however since it was not a solid connection just the light part was getting power.
Anyway, I pushed it back in place properly and the fan kicked on!

Of course the AC problem is still not fully fixed though :-( AC blows warm air but never gets cold. I was able to see the AC clutch kick on so I had an old can of refrigerant that has a gauge on it so I checked my refrigerant. It shows right on the line between needing some added and good - but it does not appear to be drawling anything from the can.

Still researching to see what else I can try.
Willis
ChopTop likes this.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:11 AM

With the engine hot, when you move the temperature controller from cold to hot does the air temperature change? If it stays the same temperature the blend door is not functioning. If it does change, the refrigerant system is not correct. My next step would be to put a proper set of gauges on it to see if the refrigerant is correct and if the compressor is working.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks John,

Yea, it gets hot.
I did have the gauge from the refrigerant bottle - is that not the same?

Willis
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 01:40 PM

The gauge on the refrigerant can may tell you that the charge is low, but can't tell you if the rest of the components are working. In some cases, misreading the meaning of the indicated pressure can cause you to overfill the system, causing damage to it.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode