How do you change battery in 2007 Pontiac Solstice? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

How do you change battery in 2007 Pontiac Solstice?

How do you change battery in 2007 Pontiac Solstice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 07:00 AM

2006/#482/First 1,000/Triple Blk/2.4 Manual/BCCoilovers/JPM Shifter (classic white w/black 5spd pattern)

2009/#480/GXP of 1266 Targa Coupes/Aggressive/Silver Metallic Stripe/Auto/Optional Polished Split Spokes/GMPP/Solo Mach Shorty/Norms Front GXP Splitter/BCCoilovers/DDM Backbeam & Probeam

LowLife handle simply means likes lowered cars
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 07:37 AM

Garage
Yes, one of GMs odder jokes on their customers.

Not many cars I can think of require dismantling the body panels to change a battery......

At vintage MG meets we sometimes have a contest to see who can start their engine using the factory hand crank the fastest. I guess BMC figured having one clipped in the trunk was a good idea, but they actually come in much handier for setting valves than starting.

This would seem the obvious equivalent for Kappa meets. First guy to have his battery out sitting beside his car is the winner. Paint scratches deducted from time.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 08:46 AM

Remove the wheel and then remove the plastic fender wheel-well liner. This method is much easier and you don't have to remove the fender at all. Just push back the plastic liner enough to remove the battery and your done. Install the new battery the same way. You don't even have to remove the entire front section of the wheel liner. Only the rear part attached to the fender.
WickedMike likes this.

Red Devil 07' Solstice - Sport Package ( traded in 2012' )
Black Widow 08' Solstice - GXP
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...Car_Colage.jpg
http://www.hulu.com/watch/357322/my-...?from=fb_share
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 02:27 PM

In years past, I had read, on the Forum, that when removing the fender panel it was a good idea to put alignment marks on the fender (actually on tape) to facilitate realignment of the panel. The liner movement method described by RedDevil eliminates that concern.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Remove the wheel and then remove the plastic fender wheel-well liner. This method is much easier and you don't have to remove the fender at all. Just push back the plastic liner enough to remove the battery and your done. Install the new battery the same way. You don't even have to remove the entire front section of the wheel liner. Only the rear part attached to the fender.
Of course, to remove the tire means you'd have to jack the car up first. Not having a jack or the special 'pucks' would make that difficult. I would opt for the fender removal.

Don't mean to get this thread too far off the subject, but in reference to lifting our cars, I heard if not done right one can crumple the door panels. Is this due to NOT using the pucks to lift, raising only one corner of the car, or some other cause? If anyone has the factual reason I'd (and maybe others) would like to know.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 07:27 AM
Founding Member

2006 battery change

I had to change the battery in my wife's and I did not remove the tire. I turned the tires to the left and loosened the inner liner and took out the fender brace and will come straight up.

#637 - 10/28/05 - "The Redhead" - Agressive w/black leather - all packages - standard radio - added Zyoxx 18" black and red rims, rocker panel graphics, dual racing stripe, windscreen graphics, painted engine covers, painted calipers with graphics, stubby antenna, kappashield, chromies, chrome wire loom, kappa floor mats (sometimes diamond plate mats), kappa racing pedals, and splash guards. OVER 135,000 MILES!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomShadow View Post
Of course, to remove the tire means you'd have to jack the car up first. Not having a jack or the special 'pucks' would make that difficult. I would opt for the fender removal.

Don't mean to get this thread too far off the subject, but in reference to lifting our cars, I heard if not done right one can crumple the door panels. Is this due to NOT using the pucks to lift, raising only one corner of the car, or some other cause? If anyone has the factual reason I'd (and maybe others) would like to know.
LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. It all has to do with the lifting points. If the wrong location is used to lift the car, the under panels can have body damage. There are specific lift points that you must use. Check your owners manual. They are show in there. The puck is not needed, just the correct lift spot.
joybill44 likes this.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 09:51 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. It all has to do with the lifting points. If the wrong location is used to lift the car, the under panels can have body damage. There are specific lift points that you must use. Check your owners manual. They are show in there. The puck is not needed, just the correct lift spot.
Note that the owner's manual has no reference to jacking, lifting, or jack stand locations or point.

The Service Manual on the other hand . . . see attachments:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jacking1.jpg
Views:	2655
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	18236   Click image for larger version

Name:	jacking2.jpg
Views:	892
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	18237   Click image for larger version

Name:	jacking-pic.jpg
Views:	1723
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	18238   Click image for larger version

Name:	jacking-stands.jpg
Views:	3323
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	18239  

1st 1K - #741
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
Note that the owner's manual has no reference to jacking, lifting, or jack stand locations or point.

The Service Manual on the other hand . . . see attachments:
Sorry, your right, I knew it was in some type of manual.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 02:02 PM

Thank you fellas!!
I'll look it up. Don't plan on doing work on the car at this point but who knows about the future.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 05:40 PM

I hate to be critical of the "how to change your battery" video. It definitely helped me get my battery out. However, removal of the fender panel is not necessary. If you remove the two screws at the bottom of the fender, ,the four screws holding the wheel well 'skirt' to the fender, and the two facing out in the door jamb... then the whole hinged assembly, with the fender panel still installed, will swing out, allowing you to slide the battery out (once, of course you have loosened the hold down bolt at the base of the battery shelf.

Thanks for the help though!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 09:26 PM

Just in case anyone wants to see the method Clocke is talking about - see this video instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZTiqKkBWxg

2007 Cool Liquid Silver GXP (all options minus onstar).
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:52 AM

Thank you for posting these instructions. This is going to make my job of replacing my battery a lot easier. I have a 2007 solstice but everything looks the same as your 2006. Thanks again Bob
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:44 AM

Hi:Thank you for posting this. I followed your instructions to replace my battery in my 2007 solstice. I got my battery out and the new one installed. But I could not align my fender. If you have to change your battery again there is an easier way. Don't fight the bolts between/behind the door. Here is what I did. Open your hood. Take the three bolts on the top of the fender out. Take the three bolts that hold the plastic wheel well cover from the fender. That leaves the two bolts holding the bottom of the fender; Remove the bolt closest to the door and just loosen the bolt closest to the tire. With this done the fender panel will lift right off. With the fender off the two bolts that you could not get to behind the door are now easy to take out with a ratchet. Before you take these out take a marker and mark around the frame so that when you remount the bracket it will be in the same place to align your fender. What you have left is a triangle piece. That piece actually aligns the fender. Take out the two bolts that connect it to the side of the car by the door; The third bolt is the one from the back of the top of the triangle on the opposite side closest to the tire just loosen this one. This triangle bracket will now swivel out of your way. Disconnect your battery cables and remove the piece holding the battery at the bottom take the battery out. Put the new battery in replace the cables and the battery holder. Swing the triangle back in place align the bracket with your marks bolt it down then tighten the third bolt on the other side. Then re install the fender panel. This may sound complicated but it really is very simple. No special tools; just a ratchet and the right size sockets. All bolts were easy to get to. Took a lot less time this way. Hope this will help you if you have to replace your battery again. Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode