MAF 1 G/S - Protective Mode/Hard Downshift - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 9
MAF 1 G/S - Protective Mode/Hard Downshift

I've read nearly every thread on the Sky and Solstice forums about the protective mode issue. For those that may be so lucky, when the ECM and TCM fall out of sync, the transmission is placed in a protective mode that causes an incredibly hard downshift around 20 MPH and then a smaller one around 10 MPH.

Following those thread's advice, I cleaned my MAF, changed both solenoids and then changed my MAF twice. Despite this I still was getting the hard jerk each and every time that I drove. I finally wised up and grabbed an OBD II reader so that I could take screenshots.

The MAF is showing as only receiving 1 G/S. Am I right in believing that this indicates a MAF wiring issue? Or could there still be other issue that I need to look at for.

The error codes are:

PO102
P0700
P2637

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190517-084735_Torque (Lite).jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	96079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190517-084800_Torque (Lite).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	96081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190517-084747_Torque (Lite).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	96083  
jovan156 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 9
So I posed the same question to my Mercedes forum this morning and got some feedback... I guess because I'm more active there... but I'd love to hear from Kappa owners on this. Please and thank you all.
jovan156 is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 5,258
First i will say that the most likely reason that no one has responded is because no one who has read your post has experienced this problem or thinks they can contribute. It has no relationship to your activity here.

I have had some time to do some research and it seems the root of your trouble is the P0102. Clear it and everything else will go away.

P0102 is either a wiring problem or a bad MAF sensor, and you should be seeing between 2 and 6 G/sec at idle
P0700 is simply an indication that the TCM has requested the MIL to be turned on
P2637 is an indication that the ECM is giving the TCM an incorrect torque reading and is the reason for your hard downshifts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08-09-361 P0102-3.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	1,014.3 KB
ID:	96129   Click image for larger version

Name:	08-09-362 P0102-3.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	96131   Click image for larger version

Name:	08-11-229 MAF Connector.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	940.0 KB
ID:	96135  

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked

Last edited by JohnWR; 05-18-2019 at 01:06 PM.
JohnWR is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:03 AM
Member
 
sirwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shamong, NJ
Posts: 3,348
... and generally it takes 24 hours before all the handy folks around here get an opportunity to read any post.

There are people on the east coast, west coast, and everywhere in between.

Sir William's Fleet
Mean 2007 NA 2007 Solstice ordered on 8/24/06 - Picked up on 12/12/06 - Totaled on 6/12/10
Mean 2008 GXP Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !
Deep 2009 NA Coupe Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it
Mean 2009 GXP Coupe Acquired 8/27/16 with 9100 miles on it
sirwm is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 02:37 PM
Member
 
The_Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Waterford, MI
Posts: 3,534
Does the MAF always stay at 1g/sec? If so, a few things to check. First and foremost, with the Torque, did you download the correct PIDs for Pontiac? IMSMC, there are Pontiac PIDs that must be used to get correct readings from your Torque app.

Now, part deux. If you downloaded the correct PIDs, and the MAF is staying around 1g/sec, this is definitely an issue. My suggestion is to "data log" a bit with the Torque app. Make sure you are getting readings (or not getting readings) from the MAF. I haven't used my Torque app in about a year, so I would have to do some research on how to download the PIDs and how to data log. Then, you'll have to chose what to datalog. HINT: Don't log more then about 5 items as it really slows down the log..... Once you've data logged for a quick 2 minute drive, send them to yourself in a .CSV file so that it can be transfered to excel. Then, post when you've done this and I'll take a look at it. I will need you to send me the .csv or the excel file as they usually can't be posted here unless you know a trick. This will help tremendously rather then just a screenshot of the gauge....

____________________________________________

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
The_Ghost is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
First i will say that the most likely reason that no one has responded is because no one who has read your post has experienced this problem or thinks they can contribute. It has no relationship to your activity here.

I have had some time to do some research and it seems the root of your trouble is the P0102. Clear it and everything else will go away.

P0102 is either a wiring problem or a bad MAF sensor, and you should be seeing between 2 and 6 G/sec at idle
P0700 is simply an indication that the TCM has requested the MIL to be turned on
P2637 is an indication that the ECM is giving the TCM an incorrect torque reading and is the reason for your hard downshifts
It wasn't a hit out. I accidentally deleted a part saying ... but I don't know who I'd reach out to here to find a good path to follow like on the Benz forums ... I guess bc I'm more active there. I was using speech to text so you can imagine that headache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwm View Post
... and generally it takes 24 hours before all the handy folks around here get an opportunity to read any post.

There are people on the east coast, west coast, and everywhere in between.
That's understandable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
Does the MAF always stay at 1g/sec? If so, a few things to check. First and foremost, with the Torque, did you download the correct PIDs for Pontiac? IMSMC, there are Pontiac PIDs that must be used to get correct readings from your Torque app.

Now, part deux. If you downloaded the correct PIDs, and the MAF is staying around 1g/sec, this is definitely an issue. My suggestion is to "data log" a bit with the Torque app. Make sure you are getting readings (or not getting readings) from the MAF. I haven't used my Torque app in about a year, so I would have to do some research on how to download the PIDs and how to data log. Then, you'll have to chose what to datalog. HINT: Don't log more then about 5 items as it really slows down the log..... Once you've data logged for a quick 2 minute drive, send them to yourself in a .CSV file so that it can be transfered to excel. Then, post when you've done this and I'll take a look at it. I will need you to send me the .csv or the excel file as they usually can't be posted here unless you know a trick. This will help tremendously rather then just a screenshot of the gauge....
It does. The hard downshift is consistent with the issue that RobtheElder described over the years but instead of being intermittent, it happens each and every time I drive. I've taken readings over the past few months and it's always been 1 g/s despite O2 sensors and the likes seemingly functioning properly on the face of it. I'll gather that info on my way home this evening and get it to you. I appreciate you taking being willing to take a look.
jovan156 is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 9
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Cg...DqUbi8mo2CSRj6

This will take you to a google drive link that allows you to view the log. Sorry for having such a long log. The info that you're looking for starts on May 21 (today). You can disregard all of the useless May 20th stuff.

Anybody that doesn't feel comfortable with that can request the direct file and I'll send it over.
jovan156 is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:10 PM
Member
 
The_Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Waterford, MI
Posts: 3,534
Yeah, you have a MAF issue. It's either that or like I stated earlier, you don't have the correct PIDs for Torque. If you do, have you replaced your MAF? Do you have a CAI? If so, are you using an "oiled" filter on the end? Something like a K&N? Oiled air filters cause major issues with MAFs. If you have one, get rid of it and get a new MAF. Otherwise you're going to have to trace back the wiring and figure out which wire is bad in your MAF line. Calling Soup....TomatoSoup, are you around? Can you help with wiring for the MAF????

____________________________________________

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
The_Ghost is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 5,258
After cleaning one MAF and replacing two, a dirty one doesn't seem likely, but still possible.

Wiring diagrams for 2.0 and 2.4 are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08-09-338 2.4 Temp Press MAF.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	860.5 KB
ID:	96255   Click image for larger version

Name:	08-09-031 2.0 Temp Press MAF.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	96257  

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
JohnWR is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
Yeah, you have a MAF issue. It's either that or like I stated earlier, you don't have the correct PIDs for Torque. If you do, have you replaced your MAF? Do you have a CAI? If so, are you using an "oiled" filter on the end? Something like a K&N? Oiled air filters cause major issues with MAFs. If you have one, get rid of it and get a new MAF. Otherwise you're going to have to trace back the wiring and figure out which wire is bad in your MAF line. Calling Soup....TomatoSoup, are you around? Can you help with wiring for the MAF????
Yeah, I'd read about oiled filters getting the MAF dirty. Unfortunately, it's not that. And while I couldn't find a new load of PIDs anywhere, I'm certain that they're right if only because I'm experiencing a hard downshift/jerk each time... Is RobtheElder still around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
After cleaning one MAF and replacing two, a dirty one doesn't seem likely, but still possible.

Wiring diagrams for 2.0 and 2.4 are attached.
Thanks. I guess I knew that it was the MAF wiring but wiring is the one thing that I'm iffy on. With everything other than wiring, I can gauge the price if I had to take it to a local indie because I can do those jobs myself. Does anybody have a guess at how much it may cost for a wiring job? Usually this shop gives me a lower price than what I see online.. but I'd still like to know.

I'll print out the diagrams and take a look under the hood in a second. Thanks a ton!
jovan156 is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 5,258
You're welcome. Good luck.

Assuming the MAF is good, the options are wiring and the ECM.

Taking it to a mechanic with a scan tool is your best bet. They can run the diagnostics and probably find the problem relatively quickly.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
JohnWR is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
You're welcome. Good luck.

Assuming the MAF is good, the options are wiring and the ECM.

Taking it to a mechanic with a scan tool is your best bet. They can run the diagnostics and probably find the problem relatively quickly.
Prayers up for it being wiring then haha.
jovan156 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MAF Hard Downshifting jovan156 General Solstice Discussion 3 09-06-2017 08:15 AM
A question about protective film and polish . . . Rixtoy1 Car Care and Detailing Forum 13 03-20-2008 07:06 PM
Sport mode/Economy mode/Winter mode..? Squirrel Boy General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions 28 01-30-2008 01:31 PM
Teflon Protective Sealant Axel Car Care and Detailing Forum 2 03-12-2006 06:02 PM
Body Side Protective Film first 1k General Solstice Discussion 7 12-18-2005 12:38 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome