Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

motor oil leak - have not been able to find it on 2009 automatic GXP

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  grandpop07 
#1 ·
There is a leak somewhere on the driver's side at the back of the engine. A small amount of oil is collecting on the transmission cooling lines and a wiring cable adjacent to them. It was first thought the trans line/lines/ fitting going into the trans had a leak (maybe o-rings failed) but no oil there and definitely no trans oil. I believe the motor oil pressure sensor is right above this area, but could not see it. The leak is definitely one associated with pressure as there is no static leakage and no oil dripping on the floor of my garage.

So, anyone had a similar experience? If so, what was it?

Thanks for your consideration and help,

grandpop07

#2 ·
#3 ·
Thanks for reply

Certainly could have been a possibility, but there isn't a hint of oil on or around the filter area. So the leak has to be lower down and you know how difficult it is to see down there and getting your hand in there is nigh on impossible. As i said not even a drip shows up on the floor beneath that area. Guess I'll have to get a more significant leak. Can't even see the oil pressure sensor.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Nice collection of Solstices you have. I just have the one and a couple of G8 GTs.

grandpop07

#9 ·
oil leak

All good suggestions, however the oil filter was changed more than 6 months ago and I always change it after the car has sat over-night so most of the oil is drained into the pan for best removal. The area around the filter cap is completely dry and clean so no cracks there. As I said before the leak has to be something below the filter which leads me to the possibility that the oil pressure sensor maybe the culprit. I cannot envision anything else having so minor a leak as appears to be the case.
Thanks for all you folks putting on your thinking caps and sharing your own experiences with our beloved Solstices.

I'm sure I'll find it eventually and will let all know here on the BB.

garndpop07

#6 · (Edited)
Get a UV dye kit. They work amazingly well, and they're a lot cheaper than a trip to the shop.

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Tracer-Products-TP8621-Complete-Finder/dp/B0051XCM0C

But there are cheaper options out there. The one I have came with different types of dye for coolant, refrigerant, oil and hydraulic systems. Basically, you clean the engine as best as you can (it doesn't have to be perfect), add a small amount of dye to the engine through the oil filler cap, and run the motor for a few minutes. Put the goggles on and light up the suspect area with the UV flashlight. The source of the leak will be very, very apparent.

I initially thought this stuff was snake oil until a friend of mine who is a professional mechanic showed it to me in action. I find this to be an invaluable tool when chasing leaks.

Reactions: Sting Ya and sirwm
#8 ·
Get a UV dye kit. They work amazingly well, and they're a lot cheaper than a trip to the shop.
Great idea! (And thanks for the link)... But I think the suggestion below is an excellent thing to check first. That or the plastic filter cap could be cracked:

I had a very similar problem, in my case the O ring on the oil filter housing was displaced while installing the new oil filter.

#10 ·
I have the same issue and have been told that it's either my transmission lines or the oil lines that go to the cooler back there that are leaking. The O-rings apparently fail. Can you distinctly tell if its oil or trans fluid? I can't because it's so dirty back there from the leak.

#11 ·
oil leak

If the 'oil' is pink it's trans fluid. However, you can also tell by smell - test this by smelling oil from the dipstick to 'educate' your nose to tell the difference. Another comparison of which oil is that trans fluid generally cleans the area, probably due to the type of detergents used in its formula. So if the area and the oil look dark it's most likely motor oil. If you dab the oil with a paper towel you can more easily tell the color.

I had my car up on a rack and could see the connection of the trans lines at the trans and there was no sign of leakage.

grandpop07

#12 ·
I assume that you have cleaned the area thoroughly, but the oil came back? It would seem that if you check often enough after cleaning you could find the source. I have placed pieces of rag or even aluminum foil in places to isolate oil leaks, since it will give you a this-side/that-side indication.

#16 ·
I would assure that the cap on your oil filter is not cross threaded or loose.

#19 ·
So it has been a while! What was the verdict on this issue. Hopefully all is worked out.

#20 ·
oil leak

!

Thanks for asking, but no, have not resolved the issue. Gave up for awhile since no dripping on the floor under the car and no apparent decrease in the oil level on the dipstick - always checked when cold. I don't do well crawling around under cars anymore, so no, have not sprayed any cleaner on the oil residue. I'll get back to it again pretty soon, but choose to drive it as is for now since the weather has turned nice and warm.

Enjoy!

grandpop07

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.