motor oil leak - have not been able to find it on 2009 automatic GXP - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

motor oil leak - have not been able to find it on 2009 automatic GXP

There is a leak somewhere on the driver's side at the back of the engine. A small amount of oil is collecting on the transmission cooling lines and a wiring cable adjacent to them. It was first thought the trans line/lines/ fitting going into the trans had a leak (maybe o-rings failed) but no oil there and definitely no trans oil. I believe the motor oil pressure sensor is right above this area, but could not see it. The leak is definitely one associated with pressure as there is no static leakage and no oil dripping on the floor of my garage.

So, anyone had a similar experience? If so, what was it?

Thanks for your consideration and help,

grandpop07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:16 PM

this was my problem... -> https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...ousing-149273/

Sir William's Fleet
Mean 2007 NA 2007 Solstice ordered on 8/24/06 - Picked up on 12/12/06 - Totaled on 6/12/10
Mean 2008 GXP Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !
Deep 2009 NA Coupe Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it
Mean 2009 GXP Coupe Acquired 8/27/16 with 9100 miles on it
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwm View Post
Certainly could have been a possibility, but there isn't a hint of oil on or around the filter area. So the leak has to be lower down and you know how difficult it is to see down there and getting your hand in there is nigh on impossible. As i said not even a drip shows up on the floor beneath that area. Guess I'll have to get a more significant leak. Can't even see the oil pressure sensor.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Nice collection of Solstices you have. I just have the one and a couple of G8 GTs.

grandpop07
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:15 AM

Is it possible that this is oil that was spilled during a filter change? No dripping seems like a one-time event rather than a leak.
Sting Ya likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:46 AM

I'm with John On this one I'd spray down the area with some brake cleaner to remove any leftover oil give it a couple of days and see if that's what caused the problem .
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:59 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Get a UV dye kit. They work amazingly well, and they're a lot cheaper than a trip to the shop.

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Tracer-Produc.../dp/B0051XCM0C

But there are cheaper options out there. The one I have came with different types of dye for coolant, refrigerant, oil and hydraulic systems. Basically, you clean the engine as best as you can (it doesn't have to be perfect), add a small amount of dye to the engine through the oil filler cap, and run the motor for a few minutes. Put the goggles on and light up the suspect area with the UV flashlight. The source of the leak will be very, very apparent.

I initially thought this stuff was snake oil until a friend of mine who is a professional mechanic showed it to me in action. I find this to be an invaluable tool when chasing leaks.
sirwm and Sting Ya like this.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces

Last edited by raygun; 04-18-2019 at 12:01 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:58 AM

I had a very similar problem, in my case the O ring on the oil filter housing was displaced while installing the new oil filter. There was a puddle of oil right next to the oil filter and then seeped down the side of tne engine.
Sting Ya and raygun like this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun View Post
Get a UV dye kit. They work amazingly well, and they're a lot cheaper than a trip to the shop.
Great idea! (And thanks for the link)... But I think the suggestion below is an excellent thing to check first. That or the plastic filter cap could be cracked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLIEGLA View Post
I had a very similar problem, in my case the O ring on the oil filter housing was displaced while installing the new oil filter.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

oil leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Is it possible that this is oil that was spilled during a filter change? No dripping seems like a one-time event rather than a leak.
All good suggestions, however the oil filter was changed more than 6 months ago and I always change it after the car has sat over-night so most of the oil is drained into the pan for best removal. The area around the filter cap is completely dry and clean so no cracks there. As I said before the leak has to be something below the filter which leads me to the possibility that the oil pressure sensor maybe the culprit. I cannot envision anything else having so minor a leak as appears to be the case.
Thanks for all you folks putting on your thinking caps and sharing your own experiences with our beloved Solstices.

I'm sure I'll find it eventually and will let all know here on the BB.

garndpop07
Sting Ya likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:17 AM

I have the same issue and have been told that it's either my transmission lines or the oil lines that go to the cooler back there that are leaking. The O-rings apparently fail. Can you distinctly tell if its oil or trans fluid? I can't because it's so dirty back there from the leak.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

oil leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
I have the same issue and have been told that it's either my transmission lines or the oil lines that go to the cooler back there that are leaking. The O-rings apparently fail. Can you distinctly tell if its oil or trans fluid? I can't because it's so dirty back there from the leak.
If the 'oil' is pink it's trans fluid. However, you can also tell by smell - test this by smelling oil from the dipstick to 'educate' your nose to tell the difference. Another comparison of which oil is that trans fluid generally cleans the area, probably due to the type of detergents used in its formula. So if the area and the oil look dark it's most likely motor oil. If you dab the oil with a paper towel you can more easily tell the color.

I had my car up on a rack and could see the connection of the trans lines at the trans and there was no sign of leakage.

grandpop07
Sting Ya likes this.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:12 AM

I assume that you have cleaned the area thoroughly, but the oil came back? It would seem that if you check often enough after cleaning you could find the source. I have placed pieces of rag or even aluminum foil in places to isolate oil leaks, since it will give you a this-side/that-side indication.
grandpop07 and Sting Ya like this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:28 AM

It could be your oil cooler o-rings. The oil cooler is on the back of the block under the radiator hose. I have an 07 GXP with 198,000 miles on it and an 06 NA that has the oil cooler. Both started to leak at the o-rings and needed to be replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Cooler.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	569.8 KB
ID:	95093  
grandpop07 likes this.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

oil leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
I assume that you have cleaned the area thoroughly, but the oil came back? It would seem that if you check often enough after cleaning you could find the source. I have placed pieces of rag or even aluminum foil in places to isolate oil leaks, since it will give you a this-side/that-side indication.

Thanks for the suggestions.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

oil leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolCal View Post
It could be your oil cooler o-rings. The oil cooler is on the back of the block under the radiator hose. I have an 07 GXP with 198,000 miles on it and an 06 NA that has the oil cooler. Both started to leak at the o-rings and needed to be replaced.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was not aware of the oil cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode