3Likes
  • 1 Post By joybill44
  • 1 Post By Rick Bennett
  • 1 Post By firsttimeowner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Passing inspection

So had problem with my red top battery this winter, got it replaced for free so thatís fine now!
But I took it in for inspection and I had cat not ready and evap also
So how long to you need to drive for those codes to disappear. Should disconnect battery for ten minutes ?
How about it gurus ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 05:33 PM

Had the same problem a couple of years ago. Replaced the battery and took the car in for inspection the next day. Took it to three different inspection stations and it wouldn't pass any of them. Called my local GMC dealer, explained the situation to them and they told me to drive the car for a couple of days (about fifty miles) and try again. Im not a computer guy but the dealer told me that a dead battery causes the computer to lose some information that is necessary for inspections and that driving for a while replaces that lost info. It worked!
Sting Ya likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 05:37 PM

The car goes through a relearn process whenever the battery is disconnected what I did per my local GM service advisor was start the car let it get up to operating temperature drive it a couple of miles shut it off and repeat 10 times just to be sure either method will work .
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:19 PM

Garage
the car has to go thru a 'drive cycle' to pass all the monitors, do not unhook the battery that will just reset all the monitors and you will have to keep driving it
stevebot39 likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:43 PM

Just went through this with my Torrent, did some work to remove CEL,(replaced EGR valve and gas cap) Evap codes-drove it to garage which was 20 kilometres away, and it failed due to not enough history, drove another 40kilometres, brought it back and it passed.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well I passed
Had to drive mine more then 100 miles
Still had the evap canister not ready but it was working according to the reading is on the tester ?
Wo ho
But today we had Snain hoping for warmer weather.
sirwm likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:58 AM

Oklahomans fixed the problem by voting out inspection loving politicians. That was in 2001 and the world did not end.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:34 PM

Garage
Same here. Car stored with a tender but 10 year old OEM battery finally failed. New battery, then inspection the next day. Not Ready. EPA gave a recommended "cycle" to drive, but I just drove normally and came back the next day and passed. It just takes time for all the sensors to register, which includes enough driving to warm the cat converter.

SteveBot39
Winter Solstice, Tucson AZ - '09 NA Automatic Cool Silver Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow cat and exhaust, ESTuned; GXP sway bars, DDM chassis kit; Stoptech brakes; Michelin PSS tires; Pioneer radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL N AZ

Summer Solstice, South Euclid OH - '09 NA Auto Mysterious Black Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow, DDM chassis kit, Hawk brake pads, Conti EC Sport tires on Black ASA wheels, Advent radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL 4 OH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode