Plastic wheel wells rubbing under hood. - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Plastic wheel wells rubbing under hood.

Has anyone else noticed the paint under the hood being rubbed off by the plastic wheel wells.

My Solstice is only 90 days old and on both sides it has rubbed through to the bare metal.

Has any one else seen this? If not open the hood and take a look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 06:47 PM

plastic wheel well rubbing

yes mine was rubbing on r/h side i put a piece of thick plastic electrical tape on the hood inner, looks to be working fine.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8TR
Has anyone else noticed the paint under the hood being rubbed off by the plastic wheel wells.

My Solstice is only 90 days old and on both sides it has rubbed through to the bare metal.

I don't recall if there is a TSB out on this but IIRC the part # to correct this issue is 10346074. Its a felt *seal* that is applied to the fender liner as a cushion between the liner and the hood.

Call your dealer and ask about it.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 04:00 PM

hood vs. fender rub.

Mine is rubbing off all the paint also and I would like to know if there is a dealer TSB fix. Can someone advise?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Founding Member

You think that is bad? Listen to this:

The end of the lightbulbs, (not filament side) have taken chunks out of my plastic wheel wells... on both sides.

Im going to start a thread on this after I take some pictures.
Mine was like this as soon as i started to drive it.

2006 Pontiac Solstice
VIN 1,715
4,500mi

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by solamia
Mine is rubbing off all the paint also and I would like to know if there is a dealer TSB fix. Can someone advise?
There is no TSB for this but IIRC dealers are applying these *seals* under warranty.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 04:40 PM

I just bought some felt stick on pads and put them on the hood,works fine.

Envious,Sand/Steel,LSD,ABS,A/C,Premium Package,Power Package, Convenience Package,MP3,Floor Mats,Roof Liner,Painted Wheels
Werks Turbo Stage II,Werks high flow cat,AEM Meth /Water injection,AEM gauges, Magnaflow duels,DDM pro beam, DDM induction piping and tune.313 RWHP,351 WTQ

I Am What I Am And Thats All I Am
It's not easy being green
Lead,Follow,or Get over.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 08:45 AM

No Rubbing here

I have 3200 miles on mine...no rubbing that I know of.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 08:51 PM

I have about 5000 miles on mine and the paint where the plastic wheel wells contact the hood have completely worn though down to the bare metal on one side and is not that far behind on the other.

One more question, for those of you with this rubbing problem, are the edges of your wheel wells "hand cut"? I'll have to take a photo of mine. The edges are really uneven and look like they were done with a box cutter! One dealer compared it to another solstice they had on the lot, and theirs did not appear to be hand cut like mine.

I will be taking it to the body shop for them to repaint the underside of the hood (under warranty) and fix a ding in the hood (approx $400) when a complete (metal) winshield wiper arm assembly was kicked up on the highway at 70 MPH and smacked my hood stripping the paint off to the bare metal. It them bounced into the passenger compartment almost hitting me, and then off to hit another car in back of me. Fortunately I was not hurt nor did it tear the leather passenger seat where it hit. I could have been serriously injured!

2007 Solstice GXP in Yellow. 5-Speed Manual. Approx 42,000 miles.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8TR View Post

Mine too... On the right side..

I'm making a list so I can bring it to the dealer and have them look at eaverything all at once...

Diff Noise..
Paint under hood/wheel well
Rubber triangle on clamshell missing and making a mark on the roof.
Ticking noise - When you goose the throttle...'
Clearcoat on hood (small area missing-flaked off)

you know.. all the common problems with the Sol.. I have just about all of them... BUT, I still drive with a SMILE !!!!

Brendon - Sly Gray - All Black Inter. / no Sand - Loaded - No On-Star - 2006 w/6900 miles. - GM CAI - GM Cat-Back - Painted front grilles / working on painting the rear fasca and Door Button Mod.- Vin # 6942

The Motor and Pump Shop Website:
http://www.peabodyelectricmotorservi...es/1/index.htm
or
www.motorandpump.com - Under Construction
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 07:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to zzzybil
bought weatherstripping

for another project and had a lil leftover - nice inch wide 5 year stuff.-..
liked it so much i bought another pack so i can put (( even pieces )) on "both sides'....... of the hood !
barely a rub but i could see what yall talkin about -------- no sense bothering dealership or having my baby in a barn with strangers for "nothing"----- when for $5 i could add my own fix - doesn't seem to alignment issue - just sorta like the piece added to front quarter panels early on !........ prolly see some more stripping added later on by gm ?? why wait - very easy diy - issue and i love hands on TLC anyays
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 10:43 AM

Thanks MomsSol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsSol View Post
I don't recall if there is a TSB out on this but IIRC the part # to correct this issue is 10346074. Its a felt *seal* that is applied to the fender liner as a cushion between the liner and the hood.

Call your dealer and ask about it.

I printed out the complete post you made here a couple of weeks ago, took the car to the dealer. After he looked at the paint wear I handed him the paper and he ordered the parts, I take it to the shop tomorrow morning.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 02:53 PM

Have not had that problem with mine yet, but you might want to get some good velcro material and stick the female, or fuzzy side, on the wheel well part that is rubbing the hood. That was what I was going to do with mine if I see that happening until they come up with some kind of a fix.

our-sol GO TIGERS!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 03:26 PM

Update

Got mine back from the dealer Friday for this problem. They repositioned both the left and right fender liners and installed part # 10346074. The part evidently has changed because I was expecting to see a felt pad and instead it is a length of rubber weatherstripping. Adhesive on one side and round/hollow. This was installed along the edge of the fender itself and keeps the liner from hitting the metal. At least I guess that is the idea. Will have to keep an eye on it, if it continues to rub then I will get some felt pads and put them on myself.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 11:47 AM
mrk

I've looked under the hood but dont see any rub spots? for the life of me i can't figure out where you guys are talking about here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode