rear Axle Leak again after 2nd seal installed at GM dealer. - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By 44thSKY
  • 1 Post By JohnWR
  • 1 Post By rob the elder
  • 1 Post By JohnWR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

rear Axle Leak again after 2nd seal installed at GM dealer.

Hi, Would like your input on my issue with my 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP.

I keep my car parked indoor at winter time ( MN), had the chance to run it 3 time when it was 20 degrees . after parking I saw a small leak at the back. been told that its the seal shrinking and expanding due to the cold and the card running. and a small leak is not a big deal and needs to be checked if its keep happening at the summer time.

moving forward... I got the car to GM dealer for an oil change before the summer start and told them about the small leak... they recommended to fix it.

They replace the left axle seal, after getting home (15 miles) I saw it leaking again.

following morning I came again to the dealership..., they said that it can be a faulty seal. they replace the seal again with applying anaerobic sealer. ( been told that the 1st seal was defective and had a punch on it... maybe from incorrect installation...? who knows...)

came home again to find out that there is still a leaking

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:39 AM

I'd go back to the dealer. But, watch for the answer being a different seal, maybe?? Might tell you a lot about the dealer's organization. Folks on this forum might have a bit of knowledge of what that answer might involve. Keep us posted then.
Sting Ya and easyryderca like this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:25 AM

The problem I've run into with my car is that just because it's a GM dealer does not mean they are familiar with our cars . I would try to find an ex Pontiac dealer , my local dealer became a Buick /GMC truck dealer also the rear end on our cars was also used on a Cadillac CTS another option . I have to believe from what you described is an improper installation and who knows with all the cheap Chinese replacement parts flooding the US market you may have ended up with another bad seal it's not uncommon .Good Luck !
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:05 AM

The end of the axle is splined and there is a sleeve available to cover the splines to keep them from cutting the seal during installation.

It is also possible that the surface of the axle shaft is damaged where the seal runs. Even cheap seals are unlikely to leak immediately.
Sting Ya likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
The end of the axle is splined and there is a sleeve available to cover the splines to keep them from cutting the seal during installation.

It is also possible that the surface of the axle shaft is damaged where the seal runs. Even cheap seals are unlikely to leak immediately.
is this sleeve is universal or special tool specific to the Pontiac Solstice?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisal View Post
is this sleeve is universal or special tool specific to the Pontiac Solstice?
It is identified as a J 44394 Seal Protector. Most of the listings I have seen refer to J 44394-A or "similar to", and is a set of 10.
It is applicable at least to the Solstice, Sky, and 2006-7 Cadillac CTS, CTS-V, and DTS, as well as most 2011 and later GM vehicles.

John
Lexington, KY
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:19 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I have about six. Blue plastic tool that slips over the end of the axle during install. Without it the seal gets cut. Found on Amazon. Basically a throw away tool that can be used once or a few times and discarded

Not sure if it's this one but it's like this

https://smile.amazon.com/OTC-Tools-6...y&sr=8-1-fkmr2
Sting Ya likes this.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

Last edited by rob the elder; 04-05-2019 at 09:22 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:47 AM

No. The recall was for the pinion shaft seal. This discussion is about one of the axle shaft seals.

Some confusion arises because the official name of the unit that most people call the differential is "drive axle".
ChopTop likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
No. The recall was for the pinion shaft seal. This discussion is about one of the axle shaft seals.

Some confusion arises because the official name of the unit that most people call the differential is "drive axle".
Deleted my post to avoid confusion.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Update: Came back from 3rd Seal replacement

Update:

So I decided to get this tool ( Kent Moore J-44394 Axle Seal Protector, $10 on ebay) and go to the dealer and explained to them that after research, most likely they are damaging the seal during the installation and they need this tool.

They take it pretty nice....lol ( I didn't want to sound like a smart a**SS ) .

left the car At GM for 1 day to run it and make sure no leaks. Picked it up today and been told that they actually have this type of tool, but they use what I got them.
They did indicate that the Axel rod that slides in was not smooth, but it not likely to be the problem.

So far no leak any more (after 25 miles driving) ..... Finger crossed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode