Recall Drive Axle Seal Leak-Replace Seal 2/1/08 - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 10:40 AM

The pinion seal is leaking again (third time) in less than 11K miles. I had the 'formal' recall / new seal installed twice. I do not beleive the 'fix' is a validated fix. At this rate the differential pinion seal is being replaced more often than the engine oil! With a continously leaking differential and defective second gear syncro that I can't get repaired, plus two walk homes due to engine controller failures I am not sure I want to keep this vehicle any longer! This is one reason (of many) GM has one foot in the grave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 12:08 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
The pinion seal fix has proven to be very reliable over a large sample base. If yours is continuing to fail, then I would look elswhere for the problem. This kind of failure can result from other problems such as vibration in the drive shaft. I would consider pulling the drive shaft and checking the balance. I had a similar problem on an F 150 and they ended up having to order a new drive shaft. I discovered that my year F 150 had 3 different drive shaft types and they had to get the specific type for my vehicle. Amazing.

I also lost a seal when I had a U joint fail. The bolts were not torqued properly at the factory and it developed a wobble as the bolts came adrift. It killed the seal. I suspect that is not your problem but looking at the U joints is also something I would consider.

Finally, I would look at contamination, either in the hardware or in the environment. You are not using a lot of diamond tipped grinding disks are you?
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Founding Member

I would also try another dealership and see if you get a better installer for the pinion seal.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 04:24 PM

I agree with Latin, you need another dealer. Dollars to doughnuts, they did not follow the procedure needed and did not use the appropriate tool.

Team Solstice 2009

I hang out on the kappaperformance forum
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 06:21 PM

Thanks everyone! Had to blow off some steam. Another dealership it will be, as soon as the weather allows me to take her out again. (Until then I drive my trusty 97 Cavalier! 12 years old, 90k+ miles, runs like new. No bells or whistles to break.)
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:56 PM

Add me to the list of frustrated owners...

I didn't even get the recall letter until last August. I hadn't seen any leaks and my GXP seemed completely fine. So I didn't make a special trip to take it in. I had the dealer do the recall in October when I took it in for an oil change. In December I noticed spots on the garage floor. So I put down some shop towels and determined that it was leaking 2-3 drops/night. So I took it back to the dealer. They 'fixed' it again. A week later it started leaking again. And this time, much more - maybe 15-20 drops/night. Enough to form a small puddle. So I took it back again. Again, fixed. They said they overfilled the differential. Two weeks ago? Yep, I notice more spots on the garage floor. I've been watching it, replacing shop towels, and it's again back to 2-3 drops/night.

This is so annoying. The car goes back again on Tuesday. I understand recalls. I have no problem with that. But this is the first car I've ever owned where the recall actually broke the car. 16k miles and it leaks like an old Harley. Awesome.

2007 Solstice GXP. Loaded & Mean.
2006 Saab 9-3 Aero.
post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 03:14 PM

A followup for posterity....

So that last post was back in March of '09. Today is 12/1/09.

After that last dealer trip back in March, the leaking stopped and the car seemed ok. Over the summer, I started to notice some occasional grinding/dragging while going around corners. Especially when warmed up. I took it in to the dealer to ask them to check the differential. They dismissed it as normal.

In October (around 30k miles) the grinding got much worse. Bad enough that you could really hear it even from outside the car. It would grind on every corner, regardless of speed, temperature, or sharpness of the turn. I took it back to the dealer and told them that there's no way this is normal. They agreed and said there was a TSB involving a different fluid additive. The grinding went away for about a month. A few weeks ago, the grinding suddenly came back, as loud and obnoxious as ever.

I took it right back in. This time the dealer agreed that the clutch packs are shot and GM told them to replace the whole rear end this time. Nice. It's getting that done today. Glad this is all under warranty, as the dealer says it'd be about $3,000 worth of work if it weren't.

So if anyone is reading this with an '07 GXP that's grinding around corners, TAKE IT IN!!!

2007 Solstice GXP. Loaded & Mean.
2006 Saab 9-3 Aero.

Last edited by Delta5; 12-01-2009 at 03:17 PM.
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 07:32 AM

Good Morning, I Own Three Coupes And One Ragtop. One Is Auto And When I Went To Dealer I Noticed That On The Rear Diff On Manuals Threr Was A Shiney Black Bracket Attached To Diff With Two Large Bolts On Underside. On The Auto Vehicle , There Was No Black Bracket. Is This Correct. 2009 New Coupe Auto Number 760 Compared To 2009 Coupe Number 1006 5 Speed . Thank You.
post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 08:58 AM

Hi All,

I have a GXP here in the UK, so no local dealerships, the diff is leaking, how can I get this repaired? Will it be covered on a recall? If so how? and who can do it?
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_s View Post
Hi All,

I have a GXP here in the UK, so no local dealerships, the diff is leaking, how can I get this repaired? Will it be covered on a recall? If so how? and who can do it?
I just had my Pinion Seal replaced and it was the recall issue.
As far as getting it repaired in the Old Country, can't help you. Try contacting GM.

Recall Reason POWER TRAIN:AXLE ASSEMBLY:AXLE SHAFT:SEAL
Recall Date DEC 20, 2007
Model Affected SOLSTICE
Potential Units Affected 275936

Recall Summary
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE REAR AXLE PINION SEAL DOES NOT MEET ALL OF THE SPECIFICATIONS AND MAY EXPERIENCE A FLUID LEAK.

Consequence
A REAR DIFFERENTIAL FAILURE MAY CAUSE LOSS OF MOTIVE POWER AND POSSIBLY LOSS OF CONTROL INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE PINION SEAL FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 1, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CADILLAC AT 1-800-458-8006 OR HTTP://WWW.CADILLAC.COM; PONTIAC AT 1-800-620-7668 OR HTTP://WWW.PONTIAC.COM; AND SATURN AT 1-800-972-8876 OR HTTP://WWW.SATURN.COM.

Notes
GENERAL MOTORS CORP. 07204

Fast Cat
Mods:GMPP Tune, Stainless Steel Exhaust, Stubby / Factory Options: Ebony Leather w/ Red Stitching, 6 Disc Monsoon, Sport Pedals, Chrome Wheels, Power Seat.
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 05:59 AM

I just purchased an '06 NA 2 weeks ago. About a week ago I started hearing the grinding and clunking associated with the diff problems on Solstices. Took it into the dealer yesterday and they performed a diff flush and refilled it with new fluid and the additive. They did not change the seals. They told me that there were no outstanding recalls on my vehicle and this TSB needs to be performed about every 30K miles. I'm a bit suspicious that they are trying to slap a band-aid on the problem until I'm out of warranty and in the meantime guarantee them some business on a regular basis. Does the diff still leak after the seals have been changed out and the fluid just needs to be changed regularly or are they trying to get one over on me? Thanks.
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFL_Solstice View Post
I just purchased an '06 NA 2 weeks ago. About a week ago I started hearing the grinding and clunking associated with the diff problems on Solstices. Took it into the dealer yesterday and they performed a diff flush and refilled it with new fluid and the additive. They did not change the seals. They told me that there were no outstanding recalls on my vehicle and this TSB needs to be performed about every 30K miles. I'm a bit suspicious that they are trying to slap a band-aid on the problem until I'm out of warranty and in the meantime guarantee them some business on a regular basis. Does the diff still leak after the seals have been changed out and the fluid just needs to be changed regularly or are they trying to get one over on me? Thanks.
Ask them to check your VIN. 06 models were all on the recall to have the seals replaced..their system should show if this was done on your car or not.

Unfortunately, the 06 differentials are problematic and were redesigned in 07, many members here have had their's replaced - most under warranty. This is something you dealership should also be able to ascertain from your VIN.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsSol View Post
Ask them to check your VIN. 06 models were all on the recall to have the seals replaced..their system should show if this was done on your car or not.

Unfortunately, the 06 differentials are problematic and were redesigned in 07, many members here have had their's replaced - most under warranty. This is something you dealership should also be able to ascertain from your VIN.
Thanks for the info. I gave my dealer the VIN and all they would tell me is that there are no outstanding recalls for my car. I'm thinking I might call up another local GM dealer and see what info they are willing to give me. I've still got a couple of months on the 5 yr 100k powertrain from GM so hopefully that'll cover it.

Unfortunately for me it seems like the original owner of my SOL decided to forego maintenance and trade in the car instead.
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 09:49 AM

Drive axle leak -

Ok, I am upset Axelrod Pontiac won't fix my leak!

I had my car serviced last Saturday at Axelrod Pontiac and they checked the rear drive axel which was caked with grease. (also on my garage floor). They said that they can't fix it on a Saturday but they "cleaned it off and topped up the fluid".

I made an appointment for today and no sign of fluid leak, so they won't fix it!

They also said that there is a weap whole in the differential and that it is "normal" for fluid to overflow from it.

They aslo said that if it was repaired that the manufacture wouldn't pay to remove the DDM backbone or the Curt hitch that I have on the car. I tried to explain that the backbone has the same 12 bolts that were on the factory backbone... He also was wrong about the hitch. Which dosn't need to be removed to get the exhaust out of the way.

Is there any dealership in cleveland that could help me!

Last edited by Tommyboy; 05-06-2011 at 09:57 AM.
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Administrator

caked in grease..or covered in oil? With a puddle on the floor? How big a puddle?

Have you any of the TSBs done? Vent tube, seals, pinion seal recall (sorry I did not notice model year of your car).

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode