Recall Drive Axle Seal Leak-Replace Seal 2/1/08 - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 09:58 AM

recall was done in 2007. Car is 2007 n/a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 10:00 AM

It looked like grease and and the stain on my floor is about 6 inches
post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Bad dealer or uneducated. As you said, the backbone is exact the same bolts...d'uh and it's not a "weep hole" it's a vent tube, if it is the older style, early 07s had them too, then there a TSB.

Sorry, I don't have time to look for it right now but if you go to the FAQ section I think a link to a discussion on the issue may be found there, you could then take that to the dealer

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 09:44 PM

I apologize for thread-jacking, but I'm curious, has there been any problems found with the '08+ differentials? This thread makes me nervous!!! LOL mine's a 2008 Sky 2.4L auto
thanks
post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Bond View Post
I apologize for thread-jacking, but I'm curious, has there been any problems found with the '08+ differentials? This thread makes me nervous!!! LOL mine's a 2008 Sky 2.4L auto
thanks
No, the differentials were redesigned in 07 and I don't recall too many having issues with the newer design.

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 12:57 AM

I just purchased a 2006 Solstice N/A ,and now wish I would have read all the data regarding this recall for the pinon seal/differential.There are many complaints on safercar.gov and other sites that specifically mention the rear diff locking up while driving... possibly at highway speeds, yikes! sometimes without warning no less, and of course ,lots of accident reports from the failure.Whats even more distressful is how many times some of these owners have taken their car in for the recall repairs only to have leaks or complete failure again and again.So did GM really never "Fix" the issues with revisions etc,or are the dealerships careless and some mechanics too incompetent to make the required repairs correctly?
I am now quite terrified to even drive the Solstice I just bought a few hours earlier this evening.I have loved the Solstice design for many years and was excited to finally purchase one,but totally losing control of your vehicle at 70+ mph doesn't sound very appealing to me.
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermyst View Post
I just purchased a 2006 Solstice N/A ,and now wish I would have read all the data regarding this recall for the pinon seal/differential.There are many complaints on safercar.gov and other sites that specifically mention the rear diff locking up while driving... possibly at highway speeds, yikes! sometimes without warning no less, and of course ,lots of accident reports from the failure.Whats even more distressful is how many times some of these owners have taken their car in for the recall repairs only to have leaks or complete failure again and again.So did GM really never "Fix" the issues with revisions etc,or are the dealerships careless and some mechanics too incompetent to make the required repairs correctly?
I am now quite terrified to even drive the Solstice I just bought a few hours earlier this evening.I have loved the Solstice design for many years and was excited to finally purchase one,but totally losing control of your vehicle at 70+ mph doesn't sound very appealing to me.
From what I understand, failures were rare and the repetitive repairs were before the TSB came out. Have a dealer check that the recall was done and the fluid level is good. The bad seals seeped, they did not abruptly fail.

How can I be old if I never grew up?

Team Solstice [email protected]

2007 Solstice GXP - Yeller, Ebony Top, AC, NO spoiler, MSRP - ordered 06/09/15 - delivered 07/04/02 and it's pronounced zed, not zee! ;-)

Mods: Street edition headlights, Windrestrictor, Clearbra, Kitt brake light, chicklets removed, fake chrome turn signals
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:29 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I personally have only read of one differential catastrophic failure that resulted in a lockup while driving. Most failures have given plenty of evidence before they reach that point

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 09:47 PM

I did a GM Vin History check and the previous owner had the car in for recall replacement of pinion seal 1/09,however this morning when I crawled under the car to examine the diff housing there is dried on crud on most of it. I have been doing alot of reading about the subject and see that quite a few solstice forum members ended up getting GM to swap out their 06 carrier for an 08 redesigned unit GM P/N 25858218
I am aware that GM has already done the recall work in 09 so I would have to buy the diff myself and have it installed,maybe get one from car-parts.com? Provided they assure me of that particular part #,what do you guys think?

CARRIER. Final Drive. Hardware Part for Pontiac Solstice (2006, 2007, 2008) (25858218)

Last edited by Silvermyst; 02-09-2012 at 10:02 PM.
post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 04:38 PM

More info emerges
I had an opportunity this morning to drive on the highway for 25-30 miles
The diff has a LOUD whine at approx 58mph ,its really bad 60-67mph and increases in pitch the faster you are going,its only when you are pressing on the gas,if you let off the gas pedal still in gear you don't hear any whine.
So,I take the car in to a mechanic and he looks the car over and mentions that the diff has been changed out completly,turns out the car had a rear collision in 2011 so if thats the case the recall work done in 2009 on the original diff is moot since its no longer on the car.Would really have been nice for Getrag to put the UPC and GM Part # on the BOTTOM of the diff so you don't have to remove to see which revision you have.
I brought with me a couple quarts of GM #88862624 - GM Dexron LS Gear Oil which already has the friction additive added hoping it might quiet down the carrier,the mechanic said that the old fluid was really dirty,like it had never been changed and added that there was lots of metal particles in the remains...G R E A T
I am glad for one thing,I bought the car for what I thought was a really good price,so it won't hurt as bad having to put some repair $ in her right away.

Last edited by Silvermyst; 02-10-2012 at 04:42 PM.
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 05:43 PM

So... Now my diff is leaking... 2007 Pontiac solstice.

Would this be covered under the power train warranty?

Mods... LDK short block P werks tune, P werks CAI/ turbo inlet pipe, P werks hot & cold side piping, P werks rear suspension brace, Pwerks Valve springs, Pwerks intercooler, Pwerks phonelic spacers, Pwerks Hf cat, GM 3bar map sensors, Pwerks cross drilled / slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Pwerks stainless steel break lines, Solo Street race exhaust, street edition headlights, DDM 6000K hids.
post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdracing View Post
So... Now my diff is leaking... 2007 Pontiac solstice.

Would this be covered under the power train warranty?
Yes, it will be as long as it's not just the vent overflowing. If there is "spray" on the underside it is most likely the vent. If there is obvious seepage on either side then it's probably the seals.

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 06:04 PM

It's dripping from my kappa reBAR

would you call that a spray?

Mods... LDK short block P werks tune, P werks CAI/ turbo inlet pipe, P werks hot & cold side piping, P werks rear suspension brace, Pwerks Valve springs, Pwerks intercooler, Pwerks phonelic spacers, Pwerks Hf cat, GM 3bar map sensors, Pwerks cross drilled / slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Pwerks stainless steel break lines, Solo Street race exhaust, street edition headlights, DDM 6000K hids.
post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Sounds like it is spraying from the vent. Again, unless there is an obvious drip from either side where the seals are. But, if the seals were leaking enough to spray unto the reBAR it would a large leak from the seal.

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:

Take it to a GM dealer, and have it checked. I would recommend a Cadilliac dealer, as both the STS and the CTS have the same differential, and have had the same problem.

Thanks, Dave Russell

Mallett #33
VIN #1G2MB35B27Y106697
Platinum Pearl over Deep
Ebony Leather

Custom Arelli
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode