Recall Drive Axle Seal Leak-Replace Seal 2/1/08 - Page 4 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 12:55 PM

I called the dealer and it looks like mine was replaced under the recall in July 08.

I have determined where it's leaking/spraying from yet as it's cold outside...

Mods... LDK short block P werks tune, P werks CAI/ turbo inlet pipe, P werks hot & cold side piping, P werks rear suspension brace, Pwerks Valve springs, Pwerks intercooler, Pwerks phonelic spacers, Pwerks Hf cat, GM 3bar map sensors, Pwerks cross drilled / slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Pwerks stainless steel break lines, Solo Street race exhaust, street edition headlights, DDM 6000K hids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdracing View Post
I called the dealer and it looks like mine was replaced under the recall in July 08.

I have determined where it's leaking/spraying from yet as it's cold outside...
The recall was only for pinion seals and nothing else.

The recall does not guarantee that the seals won't leak again....ask me how I know ..... warranty replacement of the differential.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 08:56 PM

Looks like im out a new rearend. Had the recall done in 2009 with 1100 miles on her. My husband has been driving it a bunch lately because of gas prices and noticed a whine/clunk one day. He got under it when he got home and saw old/new oil on the rearend. No drips on the carport so didn't have a clue. The dealership that did the repairs told him tough luck today....it only has 32000 miles on it now. We never knew the problem wasn't fixed the first time because we never drive it. He has a meeting with the service manager in the morning. Im hopefull but he dosn't think so. He's actually looking at buying a salvaged car and using that rearend, for the price he said they were gonna charge us he said we could have a spare everything for less than what they wante to charge us.
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSol View Post
for the price he said they were gonna charge us he said we could have a spare everything for less than what they wante to charge us.
What was the price - out of curiosity ?
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 06:09 PM

Southernsols husband here. 3000.00. Now they say that it is the left side axle seal and that they don't even sale just the seal, have to have a new rearend. Drove it home and it's going to another dealer next week.
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 06:34 PM

Looks like I may be in the same situation. Just purchased the 06 in November and now that the weather is getting nicer here in NJ been using it a lot more. Have the whine thing going in 4th and more noticible in 5th. Did some car fax checking and appears there were no recalls done on it at all. Going to have to get it to dealer and have them check it out. Have to get a low profile jack to lift it up a bit (my old 91 Jeep Renegade had no problem) and see for myself. Can someone advise where the lift points are? Have to pick up a manual soon and get educated. I may be okay because I don't know why but I purchased an extended warranty from the non-GM dealer I bought it from. Other than that some minor stuff I can handle.

Thanks

MAZOO---Already Gone
post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 06:51 PM

Never mind about the lift points--just found the "Sticky"

MAZOO---Already Gone
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSol View Post
Southernsols husband here. 3000.00. Now they say that it is the left side axle seal and that they don't even sale just the seal, have to have a new rearend. Drove it home and it's going to another dealer next week.
Somebody isn't being truthful with you on the seal! Same seal is used on other cars.....IIRC. Stealership....find a reputable dealer who will do JUST the seal!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 09:33 PM

Kinda what i figured, specially since the seal only costs about 18 bucks. My wife actually did something she has only done twice in her life, she dropped her dads name. He buys his fleet vehicles from them and also gets them serviced there. Tomorrow may turn into an interesting day....eat crow for a bad job or lose a good client for the past 10 years. To be honest it's to the point were we don't want them touching the car now. I'm still toying with the idea of buying a salvaged Sol to play with and have a whole lot of spare parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode