Recommends for replacing cracked 2.4 OEM exhaust manifold - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Recommends for replacing cracked 2.4 OEM exhaust manifold

Cast iron manifold cracked in half on my stock 2.4 2006 Solstice. Not wanting to replace it with a used manifold or drop a lot of money for some custom setup. Would like to stay stock or consider short S/S headers. Appreciate your input on a suitable replacement part and source.

I did research this forum and found most of the manifold threads quite old. Did learn the copper gasket to be highest recommended back in 2007. That or the dealer supplied gasket.

Not reusing any parts and going to replace all with new including new cat with doughnut gasket and flange gasket, nuts, lockwashers, etc.

Any suggestions, recommendations, cautions, torque specs, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06 sols 2.4.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	98077  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:02 AM

Solo Performance offers a nice shorty header for a 2.4 I had one of the early designs which were prone to cracking ( mine was OK ) but they have since cured this problem and was very pleased with it . I would not go the Ebay route most I've seen are cheap Chinese junk . Depending on how much you want to invest you could get yours re welded and have it ceramic coated for added strength . I know you mentioned not wanting a used one but I have one taken off my car at 26000 miles it's like new and to be honest this is the first I've heard of a factory exhaust manifold cracking .
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:28 PM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
depending on your situation and ability's the Polaris sling shot(3 wheeler) header on flebay, is nice and should almost fit....almost.Ive got a solo....I got used and cracked to use for locations when I get to build my header. I got a chain stainless cobalt header I will probably mod to fit my solstice, if I had seen the topspeed slingshot header I would of got it, a lot less to make it fit and it is made correctly unlike many other headers for this engine.IMHO the solo is junk, not pared correctly, just a bad coppy of the oe manifold. there is also a 4-2-1 long tube slingshot header that has dyno saying almost 18 hp gain, it could probably be made to fit the solstice, but it's $485. the topspeed is $250, there are other "ram horn" headers that look like the topspeed, but the tubes are not clocked correctly.I't mainly made for turbo upgrade, as it has thick tubes, 3mm wall as I recall. but it exits the oe loction of the slingshot exhaust witch is ever so slightly different than the solstice/sky ex.( to me the sling shot looks like a solstice front half with only 3 wheels,( 2 in front 1 in rear), same engine same trans,looks like same front suspension too.) Im very tempted to get the topspeed header any way and use the cobaly header for long tube if I ever get around to it.but I really dont have $250 extra to get more stuff...after I already got the other..even though the $250 header will take a lot less work to fit.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

@Sting Ya: Sent you PM abt it.

Last edited by midwestmike; 07-07-2019 at 03:26 PM. Reason: forgot recipient
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

@marksbug: Thank you for the info. Have read here that the Solo is crap but it was an old thread. Didn't know if they improved. Also DD is supposed to have one, but again I'm not interested in dumping a lot of money into the manifold, just trying to get my Sol on the road again before I run out of summer ...and money. Lol!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 05:02 PM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
THEN YOUR BETTER OFF FINDING A USED EX MANIFOLD. I'm hopeing sometyme this fall/winter Ill have time to start building the ss header for mine. and thinken about the LTG 6 speed trans.....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:44 PM

Garage
PM Hoosier GXP He will have one, I would bet. If not contact Robotech, he just took one off of his. I have one but it is broken to.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Thank you skersfan. Appreciate it! I pm'd Sting Ya but will ask those members, too.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Help please: Exhaust manifold wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmike View Post
Cast iron manifold cracked in half on my stock 2.4 2006 Solstice. Not able to drop a lot of money for some custom setup, I'd like to stay stock or consider some other option. Appreciate your advice.
Thanks!
Mike
Need a stock 2.4L exhaust manifold for my 2006 Solstice. Anybody have a good one they'd like to sell? If so, please PM me. There's a car show end of this month I'd like to be in, if possible. I'm located in St. Louis. Thanks! Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06 sols 2.4.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	98333  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode