Removing rear hub (Axle stuck) - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Removing rear hub (Axle stuck)

I am in the process of attempting to remove the rear hub assemblies to replace the wheel studs with some ARP studs. I was able to get the front hubs done pretty easily but am running into issues on the rear of the car. Long story short; I cannot get the hub to come off the axle.

The first thing attempted was to just push the axle through by hand, followed by a rubber mallet. Neither of these worked so I picked up a puller from Autozone. All this did was indent itself in the tip of the axle as it was tightened. I have searched this forum and others for tips and suggestions on how to get the axle free but have not come up with anything.

Anybody have any tips for the Solstice? How hard should it be to get the axle to come free?

I have only attempted the passenger's side so far. And yes, the axle nut has been removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 03:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to kwayne
there are 3 bolts from the back; I can't post a pick; pm me your email and I'll send it to you that way

Ken - cousin from Skyroadster.com

Mean Green Wolverine
'07 Redline Green/Tan/3 pedals/1 CD Monsoon/Spoiler
Ordered 6/6/06 Del. 4/7/07

Dejon IC, Pipes & Intake
Solo Street Race Exhaust
Wastegate mod/nanny valve bypass
GMPP upgrade Kit

Last edited by kwayne; 03-14-2012 at 03:54 PM.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 03:35 PM

See if this will help you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AXLE SHAFTS.pdf (722.4 KB, 552 views)
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Got the 3 bolts in the back. I can pull the whole assembly out a little ways; its just getting the axle out of the hub. PB Blaster last night and this morning followed by a 3lb dead blow and still nothing.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

According to that .pdf I have everything taken care of up to removing the axle. Thanks for the sanity check.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Here's a pic pf the end of the axle. One "watch out" I came across was the wheel speed sensor rubbing on the back of the spindle. Once the hub bolts are loose the hub comes out just enough to catch this and start rubbing the connection. Fortunatley, I noticed this before any damage was done but it is something to be aware of for anyone else doing the work.

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:01 PM

Facing the same problem myself.
Havn't found a puller to get the hub off the axle.
I need to replace the bearing hub under the lug hub because I have a bad ABS wheel sensor, and it's part of the bearing hub.
(sensor is integurl with the bearing hub)

Thx

Jeffers
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 04:06 PM

The assy corrodes and sticks to the upright. Autozone has a rent a tool combo puller and slide hammer. Use the puller to break the splines loose from the hub, then the slide hammer to yank the hub assy out of the upright, Not easy but it works. Then clean up the opening in the upright so the new one slides easily in.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glake89 View Post
The assy corrodes and sticks to the upright. Autozone has a rent a tool combo puller and slide hammer. Use the puller to break the splines loose from the hub, then the slide hammer to yank the hub assy out of the upright, Not easy but it works. Then clean up the opening in the upright so the new one slides easily in.
For me there's no problem sliding the bearing hub out of the upright (that's loose)
It's getting the splinded axle out of the bearing hub.
Today I rented a hub puller and slide hammer.
OEM brand 27037 hub puller won't fit over the flange in the center of the wheel lugs.
OEM brand 27037 hub puller is the same one both O'Rileys and Autozone rents.
Also tried a air hammer in the center of the axle with no effect.

(Need to replace bearing hub for bad ABS sensor)

~Jeffers
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 04:23 PM

Sorry, I said Autozone. I got mine from Advance and it was a tight fit but I did get it over the flange. After putting pressure on the large bolt, a couple whacks w/ a large hammer did it. Be careful not to drive the half shaft into the diff.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glake89 View Post
Sorry, I said Autozone. I got mine from Advance and it was a tight fit but I did get it over the flange. After putting pressure on the large bolt, a couple whacks w/ a large hammer did it. Be careful not to drive the half shaft into the diff.

Thanks,

this one at Advance looks promising.

Buy OTC Hub Puller OTC7394 at Advance Auto Parts

Buy OTC Hub Puller OTC7394 at Advance Auto Parts

~Jeffers
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffers View Post
I ended up backing the axle nut out two turns, and then drove off to do some hard cornering. By the time I got back, it came off with a hammer. Less than 10 miles did the trick.

~Jeffers
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:48 AM

Ouch! Scary thought, but good idea!

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 06:04 PM

I came across this thread looking for something else, here is my experience with stuck hubs in case someone is trying to do this, as I removed 4 stuck Solstice hubs front and rear:

Rear Hub replacement (after you remove brake caliper and rotor):

1) Remove the axle nut, it's a 36mm nut, I'm sure you can rent these from the auto parts store. My trusty Snap-on impact with a 30 gal compressor removed it no problem (high quality impact gun makes a big difference with crap air supply, got to pulse the trigger though)
2) You screw the axle nut back onto the shaft so the end of the nut is flush with the end of the axle shaft threads (this is to protect the threads for the next step
3) With your steel headed heavy BFH large hammer, beat the axle in until it just moves, stop beating it in. You don't want to bind the CV, so make sure you don't keep beating it in after you initially break it loose
4) Remove the three 15mm bolts holding the hub in
5) With a flat chisel and chisel holder (or vise grip), use your BFH at each ear of the hub. You're prying it between the metal hub and the brake shield. You must equally move around chiseling the 3 ears of the hub, if one ear moves a hair go to the next ear.

*As the hub comes out, beat on the axle nut again to push the splines through a little more. So you're alternating between chiseling the hub off and beating the axle inward.

*Grind / file down the damage from chiseling if you're re-installing the hub

Front hub removal
1) Same thing as rear, except you don't have to deal with the axle.

The axle nuts are 1-time use, I think the P/N is 10289657 as this is what I was initially searching for

"You are the product" - Autoguide.com group forums
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 09:10 PM

Before you cut loose with the hammer you might want to try using a puller. It will usually work, and will do a lot less damage.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode