Replacing water pump and dropping a bolt - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to fezfernando
Replacing water pump and dropping a bolt

So Iím replacing the water pump on my 08 GXP. Iím following the DDMWorks recommendation for replacement (although the turbo is burning oil so it needs replaced too). I used the half moon tool to hold the sprocket in place. When I was trying to locate the holes to reinstall the pump on the gear, I dropped a 2Ē bolt in to the engine.

How screwed am I?

How much effort will it be to remove the front of the engine to access the timing chain and hopefully the bolt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:50 PM

Garage
Try something like this first:
Flexible Magnetic Grabber Pickup Tool
https://www.amazon.com/RAM-PRO-Flexi...6EHBESCT8MJSTA

2007 GXP Pure
Probeam/Backbone/Trifecta Tune
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alannn View Post
Try something like this first:
Flexible Magnetic Grabber Pickup Tool
https://www.amazon.com/RAM-PRO-Flexi...6EHBESCT8MJSTA
I've retrieved a lot of bolts over the years with those handy magnet grabbers.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:43 PM

Garage
Those are lifesavers.

There is only one difference between a handy person and one that is not.

The handy person knows how to correct, cover up or hide mistakes.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:46 PM

Garage
This type is neat too, pull trigger to energize the magnet.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F113350061611
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 02:28 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezfernando View Post
So Iím replacing the water pump on my 08 GXP. Iím following the DDMWorks recommendation for replacement (although the turbo is burning oil so it needs replaced too). I used the half moon tool to hold the sprocket in place. When I was trying to locate the holes to reinstall the pump on the gear, I dropped a 2Ē bolt in to the engine.

How screwed am I?

How much effort will it be to remove the front of the engine to access the timing chain and hopefully the bolt?
Hopefully one of the suggestions offered so far will help you with getting the bolt. Make sure to use a lot of Vasoline or grease to hold the bolts to the socket when doing the install. There is a little pocket down below the water pump that hopefully caught the bolt and if so, with a magnet you might be able to retrieve it. In the picture you will see what is below the water pump (big round hole) and I am pointing to the little pocket below that hopefully caught it.

If you can not get it out, you will need to remove both belts from the engine, the crank pulley and the front plate. Once those are removed you will have access to basically anywhere the bolt would have went, unless it went all the way into the oil pan.

Hope that helps,
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DDMWorks Engine without timing.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	94033  
easyryderca, raygun and Tronak like this.

Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
[email protected]

2.4L - Stage 3 Supercharged - 305whp - 93 octane
2.4L - Rotrex Supercharged - 340whp - 93 octane
2.4L - Custom Turbo - 304whp - 93 octane
2.0L - 2871 Hybrid turbo - 371whp - 93 octane
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 04:09 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Thanks Dave. Helpful as always

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:15 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
On a side note: this is one reason that I like the full circle tool rather than the half-circle version. At least on the one I have, the holes to access the screws in the pump gear were pretty deep, and made it a lot harder to drop a bolt. (It also nicely covers up the rest of the opening, and bolts to the timing cover in four places.)

Removing the valve cover may give you better access to get the magnet tool down where it needs to go, depending on where it landed.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces

Last edited by raygun; 03-05-2019 at 09:18 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:21 AM

Garage
I like that trigger operated magnetic pick up - without that, they try to glom onto everything on the way down.

This post brings back nightmares of doing a valve job on a Jaguar straight 6 in the car and dropping one of the cam sprocket bolts into the timing case while reassembling and gearing it hit things all the way down. Fortunately it made it into the sump so a fairly easy resolution.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:40 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
My dad dropped a very small aluminum thing (I don't recall what it was) into one of the cylinders while changing plugs on a first generation 300ZX.

Fun thing about AL: magnets don't work as well as one might hope.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 06:22 PM

Garage
Not to derail this thread, but all this talk of graspers reminds me of claw graspers.

It's not that magnets are new technology, but I remember growing up only having the flexible "claw" graspers and not a magnetic type.

These things were a joke. I remember trying to unsuccessfully pick things up pretty often.

Do you have or remember these things?

Ours did NOT have a fancy light on it like this one...

Flexible Claw Pick Up Tool 4 Claw LED Alloy Shaft Universal Magnet Lighting Multifunction Collect Grabber Tools https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H984GC5..._hOWFCbASTGZHD
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 07:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveaux View Post
Not to derail this thread, but all this talk of graspers reminds me of claw graspers.

It's not that magnets are new technology, but I remember growing up only having the flexible "claw" graspers and not a magnetic type.

These things were a joke. I remember trying to unsuccessfully pick things up pretty often.

Do you have or remember these things?

Ours did NOT have a fancy light on it like this one...

Flexible Claw Pick Up Tool 4 Claw LED Alloy Shaft Universal Magnet Lighting Multifunction Collect Grabber Tools https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H984GC5..._hOWFCbASTGZHD

I have several of those graspers and they are indispensible on boats. Drop a bolt on a car in the engine compartment and it usually falls to the ground, unless you drop it into the engine. On a boat, it drops into the bilge, under the engine or a spot that is unreachable. Most fasteners used on boats are non magnetic stainless so magnetic pickups are useless.

One of my claw grabbers has a 4 foot extension to get way under things.
rob the elder likes this.

Last edited by syjos; 03-06-2019 at 09:19 AM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hopefully one of the suggestions offered so far will help you with getting the bolt. Make sure to use a lot of Vasoline or grease to hold the bolts to the socket when doing the install. There is a little pocket down below the water pump that hopefully caught the bolt and if so, with a magnet you might be able to retrieve it. In the picture you will see what is below the water pump (big round hole) and I am pointing to the little pocket below that hopefully caught it.

If you can not get it out, you will need to remove both belts from the engine, the crank pulley and the front plate. Once those are removed you will have access to basically anywhere the bolt would have went, unless it went all the way into the oil pan.

Hope that helps,
Dave
Thanks Dave for the suggestion on where it might have landed. The magnetic ďwormĒ I ordered arrived today. Hopefully, Iíll be able to find it this evening. I really wish I would have known about the full circle tool. I would have DEFINITELY used that instead, knowing what I know now.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Update: I FOUND IT!!!

Thatís the best $13 I have ever spent on a tool.

If anyone is looking for such a tool: https://www.google.com/search?q=v8+t...26+mighty+worm
easyryderca, joybill44 and raygun like this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 03:26 PM

Congrats! Glad to hear you found it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode