Solo Cat Back 2.4 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By chickenwire
  • 1 Post By D-ROD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Solo Cat Back 2.4

Anyone have experience with the Solo single cat back on 2.4? With high flow cat or without. Have the solo cat with stock exhaust but not satisfied with sound.. OK at at idle and moderate acceleration but when jumped on, getting that fap pap pap irritating note. Giving consideration to just installing a Storm muffler or the cat back system. Solo says that I would not be taking advantage of the high flow cat with stock exhaust. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 05:45 PM

I put the Q (or QQ) version behind my hi-flow cat, because it was recommended by Solo; seems the regular exhaust may drone in that setup. It sounded great, even after I melted the cat and put the stock one back on. I've only had a few occasions when someone else drove it, while I stood aside, but it sounds like the roadster it is.

Deep, steel/sand, loaded except standard radio and no smoker's; #08974
Mods: Kappasphere CAI, Clear Image Shorty Header, second horn, visor decals, mudflaps, tonneau cover, brake light flasher, trailer hitch, 'lil Chromies, trunk monkey, retune, DDMWorks backbone, GMPP Suspension, wood grain dash, Solo Quiet cat-back exhaust, deleted:Solo high-flow cat
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Interesting to note that I have no drone at all. It is that annoying frap farty sound under full acceleration i would love to be rid of. Many say that stock muffler is not restrictive and I know that the Solo pipes are same diameter as stock pipes. This annoying sound started after I installed the Solo high flow cat on stock exhaust. So question would be is will resonator eliminate the unwanted tone.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:33 AM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
the pics of slolo pipes Ive seen show they are not mandrel bent witch takes 2.5" tubing down to 2.25 or less. I wonder what the obx sounds like. I wish I had a stock solstice muff to check out.....( I aint cutting mine up) be nice to see some dyno ## for stock vs other cat backs along with sound!!on stock NA motors and tuned NA ones too
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:30 PM

Hey mark - 2 year old thread so you're not likely to hear back from the original posters here.

However, you're not going to much of an improvement on anything on the 2.4 without forced induction. It's well documented that "it is what it is" pretty much from the factory. A tune on it will remove the nanny on the throttle but not much else.

That being said, I may consider doing it just to see if it makes that much difference on throttle response.

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:11 PM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
I would like a little beter mpg and yes beter power too. I cant see these engines as being maxed out from gm with this ex manifold and the generic gm tune they put in them( posiably the same tune they put in all these 2.4's. ) I't kinda hard for me with my wifes honda "brick" element with 2.4 getting the same millage and it has a automatic. and almost 1' ground clearance. my bug with the small motor or the big motor gets atleast 30 unless my foot is in it all the time. a 16 valve engine like this should not be under powered or get this bad of millage. I really dont want to tear the engine appart and fix it. I dont know what the CR is on thee 2.4's but it could use to go up a lot...and of corse ceramic coatings& dfl coatings like I do all my engines. but I really didnt want to do all that. how much mpg gain is in the trifecta tune ? or is there a better tune out there? what about the "JET" or other types of tuner modules? any body got any info on them?( not the cheep **** plug in that does nothing). I will addmit I have zero electronic injection exp. Ive always ran duel carbs and know how to tune them for power and millage. this is about the only thing Im disappontid with on my car. I can build a header and will do so at some point. but Im fixen to drive from florida to DC for my daughters graduation from johns hopkins in the end of may. better mpg wood be nice.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:08 PM

What is your mileage now? If you're getting around 26 at 55-60 mph you're getting what you're gonna get. Use the search feature on the forum for more exhaustive discussion on how you're not going to get much more out of the N/A unless you blow it.
Sting Ya likes this.

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:15 PM

On my 06, 5 speed manual I have installed Solo header, hi-flow cat, CAI, Solo cat-back exhaust,with the QT muffler. And had it tuned by DDM. I did have a magna-flow exhaust on it ,
but for me it was just to loud. I have noticed a bit more throttle responds and some power gain. As far as gas mileage, usually get between 28-30 MPG, if I drive conservative.
Sting Ya likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:12 AM

I've done pretty much everything available on a non power added 2.4 and you will maybe see a 25 to 30 hp gain basically seat of the pants feel . The only way to add any serious hp is to go with a power adder ie: turbo /supercharger otherwise your wasting your money . I have a few threads that address this .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode