Solstice Jack and lifting points - Page 10 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:40 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCat View Post
Shheew! Nine pages and this is still as clear as mud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCat View Post
I think I'm going to paint a big yellow dot on the undercarriage for the lifting points so when I go to the tire shop I can easily tell them where the lift pads need to be placed.
Good idea! There has always been some controversy over the correct lifting points, and the correct jacking points. They are different. Anyway, good luck!

1st 1K - #741
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:46 AM

Garage
I think part of the controversy/confusion is the terms JACK and LIFT. Until I read this post those terms were interchangeable... "Lift the car up on the jack/Jack it up." The muddy terminology would have been somewhat clearer if GM had started out using "lifting points" and "jack stand points" and if they had provided a clear diagram to begin with!

Chris

"Sunny" - '08 Brazen Orange 2.4 Auto... 7660 feet up in the mountains
post #138 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:53 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
[QUOTE=CycleCat;1977993]Shheew! Nine pages and this is still as clear as mud! This post (#122 on this page) helped me the most. SolstOpel's post right after was helpful too. His diagram seems more useful to show lifting points (yellow) and jack stand points (red).

QUOTE]

Here is the problem.

There are only FOUR hard parts on the bottom of the car. The four slots where the car is tied down for shipment. The rest of the bottom of the car ranges from soft to really soft.

To lift the car on a lift, use ONLY the slots and PUCKS. The slots will NOT deform and the pucks will protect the body from the lifting devices.

BUT
If you lift the car with a floor jack in your garage for example and want to put the car on jack stands, then you have challenges.

LIFT it using the forward slot and you don't have any place to put the jack stand to hold the car up in the air. So you use the front "lifting pad" which is behind the front wheels. The metal piece with two large holes cut into it. Its marked as lift here on the drawing. The problem is that this pad WILL DEFORM and bend into a pretzel shape if you use it more than a few times and you MUST use something to spread the load across the "lift point" because a jack stand will bend the crap out of it over time.

When you lift the rear of the car using the rear slot, you now have no place to put the jack stand. So you end up putting it under the suspension tie point or somewhere worse.

My recommendation is that you lift the car from the front tie down slot as high as you can get it, then put one jack stand under the rear slot and one under the front lift point (yes the weak one) Use pads!. Slowly lower the car till its on the two stands, then go around and lift it again from the other side FRONT slot. Place the stands under the rear slot and the front lift point and leave the jack under tension so the car is resting on the four stands and the jack. Ideally us two jacks so they are holding much of the load off the front pads, but there is enough weight on the pad / jack stands to keep everything safe in the event of a jack failure.

This puts the rear stands in the right place an minimizes negative impacts on the front lift points (which are NOT)

Its much better to get a quickjack and lift the car from the slots but not everyone can do that.

Just for information, my front "lift points" were basically destroyed by two years of repeated trips into the air on shop LIFTS. According to GM this is how its supposed to be done but there is plenty of experience that says the front "lift points" are weak.

Thus my fabricating shoes.
GODROD likes this.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

Last edited by rob the elder; 04-19-2017 at 11:57 AM.
post #139 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 AM

Is there a part # for the Bemmer pucks? Tks.
post #140 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:12 AM

.. also, Rob, are the "lifting pads" the same place where the "pucks" are inserted? I can't tell between "slots", "pads", "pucks" and other terms. Pics showing where the pucks should be inserted would be good.
post #141 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:56 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
The four slots in the frame are the hard points. The lifting pads are structural members behind the front wheels, inside the frame that are a rectangular metal point with two large lightening holes in each. They are designated by the factory as lift points but they are known to fail over time.

Come to garage day and we can make it all clear.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #142 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:40 PM

Rob, planning on coming to garage day!
rob the elder likes this.
post #143 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 09:01 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode