Other Cars: 04 Chevy Malibu Maxx, 09 Cadillac CTS, 11 Subaru Outback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 143 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAO
see post number 6 for mail order
Dont want mail order..

Wanted part number and price from the BMW dealer.
If its cheaper there, I might save shipping also...

THe previous poster got hte pads there also.

Triple Black, all options
post #18 of 143 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Missing my Dad 9/40-5/08

some help needed

For those of you who are using a hydraulic floor jack, could you please advise the minimum height of the jack or even model. I need to get a new one because my current jack will not work on the Solstice. Would the Craftsmen aluminum race car jack with 3-3/4" minimum height work?

Thanks for your help.

Jim

post #19 of 143 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 06:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyMood
Post #9 over on the corvetteforum brings up a point which I never got a clear answer to. I asked once about rotating tires and all I got was a bunch of guys telling me to take it to the dealer for that

When removing more than one tire at a time, like when rotating, how do you support the Solstice on jackstands? Can I use wood blocks under the suspension arms? I guess in short, if the jack is on the pad, where do I put the jackstand?

#4796: Mysterious, Power, Convenience, LSD, Polished Aluminium.
post #20 of 143 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 07:17 PM

yes

I lifted the front from the "lifting points" and put 4 x 4 blocks ( or 6 x 6 ) under the front suspension arms.
Lifted the entire rear from the differential and installed blocks at the lifting points.

FJ

Triple Black, all options
post #21 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Founding Member

OK. Please be patient with me. I'm ready to paint my calipers. I have a floor jack. I have jack stands. I have thr pdf's of the lifting/jacking info. I've read everything I can find on the forum on this issue. I still have questions.

Can someone get me pictures (I need to see the actual locations. The pdf's don't do it for me.) of EXACTLY where I need to place the jack stands, both front and back. I have NEVER used them before. Yes, I'm a bad person. Before I got my Solstice, I always had any work that required lifting the car (other than changing tires) done by professionals. I have read that I can use the front lifting points and then place the jack stands. My question is WHERE, PRECISELY.

XMM (whom I trust fully ) says I can use the differential to lift the rear end and then place the stands. Again, I need to know exactly where to put them. I can't mess my car up. I would die.

Thanks in advance.

--Chemist (I'm sorry. I inherited the "worry" gene from my Mom. )

Envious, ebony leather, loaded, DDM Stage II S/C, headers/cat/exhaust, 4-piston brakes/slotted rotors, Probeam, Backbone, Lil' Chromies, K-sphere pedals, Kazera KZ-L wheels, the TWEETY door unlock/lock button, High Note horn, Brushed Al door sills, etched/lighted WindRestrictor, white LED map/footwell lights, 3rd brake light pulser. --- She moves!
post #22 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 08:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to ripple
I had the same questions as I suspect most of my future work will be done by me. In thinking about it I remembered a photo gallery by Brentil with his hitch install that had photos.

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/s...97&postcount=1

Thats the post, the first link to his gallery shows the exact placement. Should do the trick for you.

This is my signature - how do you like it?
post #23 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripple View Post
I had the same questions as I suspect most of my future work will be done by me. In thinking about it I remembered a photo gallery by Brentil with his hitch install that had photos.

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/s...97&postcount=1

Thats the post, the first link to his gallery shows the exact placement. Should do the trick for you.
Thanks, ripple! Those pics show the rear jack stand locations perfectly! I assume I can use the corresponding structures in the front of the car for the front stands.

I really appreciate this.

--Chemist (Would still love to have pics of the front jack stand locations. )

Envious, ebony leather, loaded, DDM Stage II S/C, headers/cat/exhaust, 4-piston brakes/slotted rotors, Probeam, Backbone, Lil' Chromies, K-sphere pedals, Kazera KZ-L wheels, the TWEETY door unlock/lock button, High Note horn, Brushed Al door sills, etched/lighted WindRestrictor, white LED map/footwell lights, 3rd brake light pulser. --- She moves!
post #24 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 08:47 PM

No problem and I, like you would like to still see front lift and jack stand locations (although I am pretty darn sure I know the front lift locations) in photos just to be sure.

Of course I still need to purchase a floor jack and jack stands...

post #25 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
No problem and I, like you would like to still see front lift and jack stand locations (although I am pretty darn sure I know the front lift locations) in photos just to be sure.

Of course I still need to purchase a floor jack and jack stands...

I've also got the Clear Image shorty headers and hi-flow cat coming in pretty soon, so I'll be needing to lift the front again then!

Somebody on here has the pics, I am sure. I have faith in my fellow Sol-sters!

--Chemist

post #26 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 09:09 PM

Okay so its a little scary since thats what I am planning on getting my lift and stands for too - plus exhaust too for me.

post #27 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Okay so its a little scary since thats what I am planning on getting my lift and stands for too - plus exhaust too for me.
[cue music] Rod Serling: "For your consideration, two strangers on a computer forum discussing jacks, stands, headers, and mufflers. Next stop: The Twilight Zone." [fade to black]

--Chemist

post #28 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Founding Member

Chemist & ripple, my car is currently still up on one jack stand on one side in the front. I will try and snap a few pictures for you before I finally get it back on the ground tonight (long story involving a cheap jack from Walmart, which failed before I was able to get all four wheels back on the ground! After a quick trip to Walmart at lunch today, I will hopefully get My Baby all the way back on the ground.)

GXP, Sly w/ Black Leather Interior, Loaded
Mods - Solo Performance GXP RCD exhaust, IC pipes, GMPP Performance Upgrade Kit, Backbone Brace and Probeam.
Norms fiberglass rear diffuser, Smoked Headlights, Opel GT antenna, splash guards, custom illuminated Wind Restrictor, JPM leather visor covers, elbow pads and custom embroidered, leather covered center console.
Email me if you are interested in joining the Mid-Atlantic Solstice Sky Club (MASSC) for NJ, NY, PA, DE and MD[email protected]
post #29 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengel View Post
Chemist & ripple, my car is currently still up on one jack stand on one side in the front. I will try and snap a few pictures for you before I finally get it back on the ground tonight (long story involving a cheap jack from Walmart, which failed before I was able to get all four wheels back on the ground! After a quick trip to Walmart at lunch today, I will hopefully get My Baby all the way back on the ground.)
THANK YOU!!!!! I await your next post.

--Chemist (This is the best forum in the world! )

post #30 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist View Post
THANK YOU!!!!! I await your next post.

--Chemist (This is the best forum in the world! )
Okay, here are the pics of how I lifted the front on the jack/jack stands.

DISCLAIMER: I in no way claim that this is the "correct" way to lift the car, and assume no responsibility for damage to anyone's car if they attempt to use this method. This is simply how I did it, and it worked out for me, so...

The pictures are of the front passenger side of the car.

The first pic is where I placed the jack stand. I used the flat area behind the front wheel. There are two holes in this plate which seemed to line up pretty well with the two "tips" on the jack stand and it looked sturdy enough to support the weight of the car, so that is what I decided to use.

Where to place the jack was a little harder to decide. Due to the small size of my garage, I lifted the car one "side" at a time to paint the calipers, rather than lifting the front or back completely. So I placed the jack at the front "knuckle" or joint where the control arm meets the frame, so that only one wheel was raised off the ground. If you are lifting the front and want a centered location to lift from so that both front wheels come up off the ground together, you should probably place the jack under the forward frame member, centered between the two knuckles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front jack.jpg
Views:	10555
Size:	963.6 KB
ID:	7447   Click image for larger version

Name:	front jack2.jpg
Views:	41599
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	7448  

GXP, Sly w/ Black Leather Interior, Loaded
Mods - Solo Performance GXP RCD exhaust, IC pipes, GMPP Performance Upgrade Kit, Backbone Brace and Probeam.
Norms fiberglass rear diffuser, Smoked Headlights, Opel GT antenna, splash guards, custom illuminated Wind Restrictor, JPM leather visor covers, elbow pads and custom embroidered, leather covered center console.
Email me if you are interested in joining the Mid-Atlantic Solstice Sky Club (MASSC) for NJ, NY, PA, DE and MD[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in