Solstice Jack and lifting points - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengel View Post
Okay, here are the pics of how I lifted the front on the jack/jack stands.

DISCLAIMER: I in no way claim that this is the "correct" way to lift the car, and assume no responsibility for damage to anyone's car if they attempt to use this method. This is simply how I did it, and it worked out for me, so...

The pictures are of the front passenger side of the car.

The first pic is where I placed the jack stand. I used the flat area behind the front wheel. There are two holes in this plate which seemed to line up pretty well with the two "tips" on the jack stand and it looked sturdy enough to support the weight of the car, so that is what I decided to use.

Where to place the jack was a little harder to decide. Due to the small size of my garage, I lifted the car one "side" at a time to paint the calipers, rather than lifting the front or back completely. So I placed the jack at the front "knuckle" or joint where the control arm meets the frame, so that only one wheel was raised off the ground. If you are lifting the front and want a centered location to lift from so that both front wheels come up off the ground together, you should probably place the jack under the forward frame member, centered between the two knuckles.
Thanks, dengel! I think you've done exactly opposite of what I had planned on doing. I had thought I would jack where you put the stand and put the stand where you jacked. THeoretically, either should work. Bottom line, the visual learner is happy!

Again, I thank you.

--Chemist (My door unlock/lock switch shipped today; I got all my tools and stuff together for that, caliper painting, and Clear Image shorty hearders and hi-flow cat installation. Now all I need is a week off from work! )

Envious, ebony leather, loaded, DDM Stage II S/C, headers/cat/exhaust, 4-piston brakes/slotted rotors, Probeam, Backbone, Lil' Chromies, K-sphere pedals, Kazera KZ-L wheels, the TWEETY door unlock/lock button, High Note horn, Brushed Al door sills, etched/lighted WindRestrictor, white LED map/footwell lights, 3rd brake light pulser. --- She moves!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 07:10 PM

or you could go hog wild and jack the front end from where the GM paper shows you...those little bitty spots level with the hinge on the doors. i used a small piece of plywood to keep the jack from damaging the bodywork where it curls under, or you could get those "puck" inserts they use on the Vetts.
post #33 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
or you could go hog wild and jack the front end from where the GM paper shows you...those little bitty spots level with the hinge on the doors. i used a small piece of plywood to keep the jack from damaging the bodywork where it curls under, or you could get those "puck" inserts they use on the Vetts.
It appears to me that the GM paper has you JACKING at the knuckles where dengel did and LIFTING on those pads where she placed her stands. It is that uncertaintly in those sheets (you see one thing, I see another! ) that prompted me to call for the pics.

I'll use something between jack and car regardless. I'm thinking of making a "puck" from a great big laboratory stopper. Being a chemist has got to play in here somewhere.

--Chemist

Envious, ebony leather, loaded, DDM Stage II S/C, headers/cat/exhaust, 4-piston brakes/slotted rotors, Probeam, Backbone, Lil' Chromies, K-sphere pedals, Kazera KZ-L wheels, the TWEETY door unlock/lock button, High Note horn, Brushed Al door sills, etched/lighted WindRestrictor, white LED map/footwell lights, 3rd brake light pulser. --- She moves!
post #34 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 09:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to ripple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist View Post
It appears to me that the GM paper has you JACKING at the knuckles where dengel did and LIFTING on those pads where she placed her stands. It is that uncertaintly in those sheets (you see one thing, I see another! ) that prompted me to call for the pics.

I'll use something between jack and car regardless. I'm thinking of making a "puck" from a great big laboratory stopper. Being a chemist has got to play in here somewhere.

--Chemist
I can add something here (value to be debated) - according to the dealer that damaged my car when lifting (take the rest for what its worth) where the jack stand was placed in dengels lift is indeed the recommended lift point, their explaination was the tech didnt use the lift arm extension that provides the adequate clearence of the fender.

So again for what it is worth Chemist I do think you are interpreting the GM paper and the the jack stand location in that picture is where GM recommends lifting from based on my very sorry service manager.

This is my signature - how do you like it?
post #35 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
--Chemist
Hey, Chemist, I had the same problems as you did interpreting the "instructions" from the GM document. So I just interpreted it as best as I could and tried to choose points that I at least recognized so that I wouldn't accidentally punch a hole through the oil pan or something. Hence my "disclaimer."

GXP, Sly w/ Black Leather Interior, Loaded
Mods - Solo Performance GXP RCD exhaust, IC pipes, GMPP Performance Upgrade Kit, Backbone Brace and Probeam.
Norms fiberglass rear diffuser, Smoked Headlights, Opel GT antenna, splash guards, custom illuminated Wind Restrictor, JPM leather visor covers, elbow pads and custom embroidered, leather covered center console.
Email me if you are interested in joining the Mid-Atlantic Solstice Sky Club (MASSC) for NJ, NY, PA, DE and MD[email protected]
post #36 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 09:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to ripple
Thanks again for the pictures Dengel, no doubt we are all finding our way through this together - that is the wonderful thing about this forum.

As you said, your selection of jack and lift points worked without causing any damage - More then my trained service department full of mr. goodwrench wannabes can say.

Thanks for posting the pictures

This is my signature - how do you like it?
post #37 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 06:15 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengel View Post
Hey, Chemist, I had the same problems as you did interpreting the "instructions" from the GM document. So I just interpreted it as best as I could and tried to choose points that I at least recognized so that I wouldn't accidentally punch a hole through the oil pan or something. Hence my "disclaimer."
Understood and appreciated! THe entire thing would have been much easier for me had I had PICTURES from GM rather than a diagram. It took me a minute to figure out which end of the car was which (yes, I know, I'm new to being a "car person". ).

Anyway, let me echo ripple once more and give you my thanks for your pics and advice.

--Chemist (Taking the bike to work today...need the exercise. )

post #38 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 08:41 AM

Chemist, If it is painted green don't use it as a jacking point!

I jacked my rear up by the carier, and put the stands under the wheel struts.
Front I jacked by the engine cross member and put the stands on the frame.
Stay away from the body panels and you will be fine.

BIX A BEL Cool, Ebony leather, Chrome, loaded, no XM/onstar Founding member of the "Lost Sols Club"
DDM stage III w/custom CAI
probeam, backbone, tower strut, Exedy Stage II clutch
JPM custom dash, center console, door inserts
Solo SQR2 with Norm's center defused panel
FucuzTech Tri-Y header and high flow cat
DDM Stage III Upgrade here
post #39 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critterman View Post
Chemist, If it is painted green don't use it as a jacking point!
Amen, brother, amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critterman View Post
I jacked my rear up by the carier, and put the stands under the wheel struts.
Front I jacked by the engine cross member and put the stands on the frame.
Stay away from the body panels and you will be fine.
Thanks! I've never had a car before that did not explicity tell this poor mechanically disinclined soul exactly where to put the jack. I feel confident now I can get my mods done and get Muirne back to earth safely.

--Chemist

post #40 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 09:11 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Amen, brother, amen!

Thanks! I've never had a car before that did not explicity tell this poor mechanically disinclined soul exactly where to put the jack. I feel confident now I can get my mods done and get Muirne back to earth safely.

--Chemist
Done!! I got off work early today and decided I would put Muirne up on stands and paint her calipers, apply decals to them, clean the wheels, and rotate the tires.

Below are pictures of the jack stands in place. I used the front lifting points (behind the front wheels) to raise the front end and the differential to raise the rear.

Thanks to ALL who were so kind to offer me your input/advice/help to get this done!

--Chemist (I love my car and love this forum! )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front jack stands.JPG
Views:	12231
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	8204   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear jack stands.JPG
Views:	7621
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	8205  

post #41 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Garage
Is your jack a low profile jack? Because I could never figure out how to get my normal sized jack underneath the front of the car...

Can you take some pics of where you jacked it up from the front please?

2006 Mysterious Solstice
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
2008 Velocity Yellow Corvette Coupe
post #42 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
Is your jack a low profile jack? Because I could never figure out how to get my normal sized jack underneath the front of the car...

Can you take some pics of where you jacked it up from the front please?
The first picture is the box my jack came in (from WallyWorld). The second picture is the jack passing under the edge of the car right behind the front right wheel. The clearance is only about 1/2". The third picture is the jack under the front right lifting point (square pad behind and inside the front right wheel) with a piece of 1/2 particle board as a "lifting pad." (Please excuse the dirt. It's been raining on and off for a week. I have not had time to wash her.)

Does this show what you need to see? LMK.

--Chemist
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jack box.JPG
Views:	1378
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	8212   Click image for larger version

Name:	jack going under car.JPG
Views:	7307
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	8213   Click image for larger version

Name:	jack under jacking point.JPG
Views:	5977
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	8214  

post #43 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 06:14 PM

Hey Doc,
We shop at the same store. I had to get a lower floor jack and got the same one as you. It works great under a "low Sol."

AKA xmm
First 1000 Order VIN # 000218 - Time Stamp 2:35:20
DEEP with Steel/Sand leather,
142,600+ miles on the odo and still goin' strong - My wife named my car "Nittany" after Penn State, my Alma Mater
Reborn at the factory at 57,100 miles
New water pump and timing chain at 104,181 miles
Exhaust cam solenoid valve at 121,000 miles

WPASC ( Western PA Area Solstice Club )
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding Member #41
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Resting up after the Pgh. Vintage Grand Prix !"
post #44 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 07:01 AM

Quote:
The first picture is the box my jack came in (from WallyWorld). The second picture is the jack passing under the edge of the car right behind the front right wheel. The clearance is only about 1/2". The third picture is the jack under the front right lifting point (square pad behind and inside the front right wheel) with a piece of 1/2 particle board as a "lifting pad." (Please excuse the dirt. It's been raining on and off for a week. I have not had time to wash her.)

Does this show what you need to see? LMK.

--Chemist
According to the pdf file picture of jacking and lifting points that is not either, although I have used it with some makeshift wooden blocks also and it seems OK.

Ron

Ron

Sly/ebony leather/MP3/Power Pkg./Premium Pkg./Convenience Pkg./ABS/Stick

VIN117129
post #45 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 07:59 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coiran View Post
According to the pdf file picture of jacking and lifting points that is not either, although I have used it with some makeshift wooden blocks also and it seems OK.

Ron
I have found the pdf file to be less than clear. A new look just now confirms that you are correct (as far as I can see! ) But, as you say, the position I used works.

--Chemist

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode