Solstice Trailer - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Solstice Trailer

I've seen some of the the trailers that look like the rear end of a Solstice. Have these all been one off's custom made by owners? Is there a shop that made them?

Is there a market for them if someone was to make one?

What would they sell for if there was one for sale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 04:18 PM

The few that I've seen appear to be made from a wrecked car . I have to believe that the market would be limited especially because of the fact that there are companies out there who make a small trailer that fits on a number of cars and is not brand specific .
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:08 PM

Garage
I just had a defib/pacemaker stuck in me. Now I am no longer allowed to weld...dammit! Would have loved to fabricate a trailer for you. Have helped make a couple of trailers out of MGB rear ends. Fun to do...
SOLSTICE#602 likes this.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:47 PM

Garage
I am in the beginning stages of cutting a Sky in half to make a trailer out of it. If you look thru the National photos you will see one done in Bluestone. Mine will be similar, but no cooler or spare tire in the front. Spare will go underneath. Aluminum frame with torsion axles and electric brakes.

Every once in awhile you can see a fiberglass trailer that has Solstice or Sky tail lights in it, but just a tub. No real lines. I have never seen one that looked right behind a Solstice or Sky. After the National last year I decided that, that was the way to do it. Hope to have it done by summer. Will post pictures once we get seriously started. I bought a totaled Sky to do this, it could have been saved, but it was an NA and I did not figure I could ever break even on the car by fixing it.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
I am in the beginning stages of cutting a Sky in half to make a trailer out of it. If you look thru the National photos you will see one done in Bluestone. Mine will be similar, but no cooler or spare tire in the front. Spare will go underneath. Aluminum frame with torsion axles and electric brakes.

Every once in awhile you can see a fiberglass trailer that has Solstice or Sky tail lights in it, but just a tub. No real lines. I have never seen one that looked right behind a Solstice or Sky. After the National last year I decided that, that was the way to do it. Hope to have it done by summer. Will post pictures once we get seriously started. I bought a totaled Sky to do this, it could have been saved, but it was an NA and I did not figure I could ever break even on the car by fixing it.
Look forward to following your build. 👍

Mods: too many to list!

2007 GXP manual. Bought new Sept 2007
The Mean Machine
2009 GXP Coupe Auto # 526. Bought May 2016 - 1800 miles
The Ace of Spades
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:46 PM

Garage
I ended up buying two NA Bluestone Sky's to make the trailer. One hit in the front, one hit in the rear. The one hit in the front has a bad engine in it. The other one the engine seems fine, runs great so pulled it and have it ready to go in the other one. Have considered not doing the trailer and making a track car out of the other one. But I just loved the look of the trailer. Yesterday I got a free trailer hitch, so decided it was meant to be.

I almost bought one of the tubs with Sky tail lights last winter, but it was in Des Moines, and sold in January. Had to be picked up by the end of January, decided I was not driving that far to pick up something I thought was that ugly.. Then went to the National, and was so glad I did not buy it. It was about 1500.00 if I remember correctly. Will be lucky to get this one done for under 7K. Oh well you want what you want, or you don't get it. Everything is in line to build it. Just getting the time to do it is where I am at.

I have built custom trailers my whole life, so I am always looking at them. If I see one of the tub things I will post it here.

Last edited by skersfan; 03-10-2019 at 06:49 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 07:01 PM

Garage
Ebay, under fiberglass motorcycle trailer. It won't let me post a link for some reason.

The thing weighs 900 pounds. Pretty good sized, but would not look bad behind a Sol or Sky.

The High Point was a franchise of my company many years ago. Pro Trac trailer. Made to carry motor cycles

The third one is about what you can expect to find normally
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 07:34 PM

Garage
This is pretty good looking, but it is located in Oregon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Champion-Co....c100005.m1851
easyryderca likes this.

Last edited by skersfan; 03-10-2019 at 07:37 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:30 PM

Garage
Well the last one is gone. I just bought it. Just too resonable to not buy and save myself a lot of work. Just want to use it for travel and will have it painted to match the Skpel. Darn you Saveaux!!!!

Now I have to drive to Oregon or have it shipped. Will figure that out soon. The track car is now a possiblity. It will be an Arizona car so not concerned about smog stuff. V8 with paddle shifters looks to be in my future.
rob the elder likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
This is pretty good looking, but it is located in Oregon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Champion-Co....c100005.m1851
skersfan, that's a good looking trailer and you got a good one at a very good price. Mine is a topper for a station wagon mounted on a small trailer on an aluminum sheet (photo below). Pulls like there is nothing back there. Much harder to pack than Bob's purchase and his is larger than mine. At that price it is well worth the money. I have about $800 in mine. Ours does go in the garage along with the car and other stuff, so that part is worth it for us. I've talked to motorcycle guys pulling trailers that said they had $5K in their trailer.

Another perspective is with the frequency of use of a trailer (5 out-of-town trips in 7 years), it is smart to keep the car for parts and you will get the trailer for nothing plus some. Granted the rear-end SKY trailer is a very big spectacle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SKY at Wyndham Circle.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	502.9 KB
ID:	94123  
sirwm and easyryderca like this.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:26 PM

Garage
I was going to call you, but forgot about daylight savings time. I will try to give you a call tomorrow. I have work in the morning, but should be home early afternoon.

Just too much work to be used as little as it would be. This will fit in the garage, that becomes something to think about. It will even fit in the storage facility I think.

I liked the look of it and just decided to save money and get it. I made the deposit and should hear from them soon. I may have it shipped down. Not sure.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 04:09 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Nice trailer.
The "tub" with Sol or sky lights came from a guy in Boulder. He whole sealed them to several "dealers" in parts that were sold as kits or assembled by the dealers then sold. John White was a dealer for a long time and sold several. John Eiler has one painted to match his Bluestone Sky. They work very well but beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:14 PM

Garage
Notified this morning, that he had recieved an earlier deposit. So most likely will not get the trailer. I thought it was pretty good looking. Will wait a few days and see if the other person buys it. If not I told him I would take it. If not back to the old plan. No big deal. Sorry for the false alarm.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 04:07 PM

Two years ago, I was in to buying a 'tub' with sol tail lights, but finally didn't.
Bought me a Bushtec motorcycle trailer instead and to me, it fits the best the looks of the Solstice.
Butas Rob said : "beauty is in the eye...."

Pepolleke
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	452.1 KB
ID:	94137  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 04:16 PM

Hows about a mini Kappa trailer.

rob the elder and easyryderca like this.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode