Source(s) for convertible top replacement - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By chickenwire
  • 1 Post By chickenwire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Source(s) for convertible top replacement

The canvas on our ’07 N/A was fraying in areas and had some wear from rubbing on the “bumpers” on the trunk lid. I (my wife) was in the market for a replacement top when we (I) realized that the entire assemblies were limited in availability to only a few left and those were in tan color only.

I’d read several other owners on the forum were able to hire local shops to sew replacement tops for them and others found shops that they could send their entire assembly to and have them recovered and returned. Obviously shipping that whole assembly would be costly. Still others cautioned about the prospect of replacing the canvas yourself is a daunting task – lots of sewing and gluing involved.

While pursuing a completely different project, I was at a local aftermarket installer and asked if they replaced convertible tops. They did, and upon reviewing their catalog, found it didn’t list the Solstice at all. He made a phone call to a supplier and confirmed that they were not just available, but readily available! The following day they confirmed that the canvas required a “core charge” as the maker re-uses the cables, clips, etc. that are integral to the canvas. They also confirmed they would be installing the canvas on my frame and re-installing my headliner on the frame.

The shop I used was Auto Image – they have a location in Plainwell MI and Mishawaka IN.

https://www.autoimagemi.com/

I also confirmed that the supplier of the top was EZ On Auto Tops:

http://ezonauto.com/

It appears EZ On sells through distributors to installers. I would imagine you could go to the distributor locator, find a distributor near you, then contact them for installers they sell to near you. I would also image you could contact that installer to see if they would replace your top on your frame or if they would need the vehicle to finalize the installation. (I can understand if the installer would want the vehicle to make sure the final fit was correct.)

In my case, Auto Image completed the install in 3-4 business days. The fit is near perfect (far better than what it replaced) though I have one small pucker at the passenger front of it. They recommended leaving the top up for a couple of weeks to let the fabric stretch, but said dropping the top wouldn’t cause a problem – it might just be stiff to get back into position until the final stretch was completed. I intend on reviewing that pucker in a couple of weeks and, if necessary, bringing it back to see if they can improve it.

If you opt to use Auto Image in MI – let me know and we can have dinner and tour the Gilmore Car Museum while you’re in my neighborhood (about six miles from the Chicken Coop!)

https://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190717_130119.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	460.8 KB
ID:	98347  
sirwm likes this.

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Just noticed that EZ On's website does not list Pontiac on their "tops" section. This probably correlates to my installer not seeing it listed in their catalog but a phone call confirmed they offered it (obviously). My top was actually delivered to the installer the day after I ordered it. YMMV
showtime likes this.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:41 AM

Good to know. My top is holding up well. However, one day you never know. Mishawaka is where Norm’s is. You could do a combo trip.

Mods: too many to list!

2007 GXP manual. Bought new Sept 2007
The Mean Machine
2009 GXP Coupe Auto # 526. Bought May 2016 - 1800 miles
The Ace of Spades
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:06 PM

Garage
Thanks for the information ChickenWire. Something most of us will be looking for in the future is my guess.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:57 AM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
I didnt even see pontaic on the ezon site.....I must be blind. or done went brain dead again. or it's a non stocked item, request only.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Or you could read post #2 above . . .

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwire View Post
Just noticed that EZ On's website does not list Pontiac on their "tops" section. This probably correlates to my installer not seeing it listed in their catalog but a phone call confirmed they offered it (obviously). My top was actually delivered to the installer the day after I ordered it. YMMV
It's not there under search or as a web page - in fact there's no Pontiac model at all that shows up there. But it IS listed in their catalog pdf (click on the Catalog->English link) along with a whole bunch more Pontiacs.

Wonder what the web designer(s) had against Pontiacs?

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Not everyone "gets it", soup. lol!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode