Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Water Dripping from firewall bulkhead

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  GRAVEDIGGER 
#1 ·
I just noticed that there is water dripping from the passenger side firewall bulkhead on my 06 NA. There is a black stubby tube that sticks out of the firewall. I drove to work this morning with the top down and the heater on (it's a bit chilly in the morning lately) so I'm thinking it's just a condensation overflow tube but not sure and haven't noticed it before. Does anyone know what this tube is and if water dripping from it is normal?

#2 ·
I have had this happen a couple of times also - driving Texas-style with the top off and the A/C on full blast. Had it checked out at the dealer, and they couldn't get it to re-occur (no surprise). The service manager said they have reports of Suburbans dripping condensation water, and I've felt around up there when it happened again, and condensation seemed to be forming on the surfaces of the HVAC equipment. I spray a little Lysol in the area after it happens, to discourage mildew.

#3 ·
Thanks Coupe112. I have had A/C condensation happen (it's pretty common, especially on really warm days) but I have never seen condensation from running the heater. The tube the water is coming out of looks like it's there as a release for excess moisture or (and this is the part I'm worried about) if the heater core goes out and starts leaking it would provide a place for the water to exit the vehicle without getting the carpets, etc. wet.

#4 ·
Most cars have some sort of restriction device on the dump tube so it builds up a certain amount of condensate before dumping it and closing again. This prevents outside air from blowing it back into the car while driving.
Were you running in defrost mode? Most current cars also run the compressor to dehumidify the air while defrosting.
Heater cores become very apparent very quickly.
Sounds like it is likely just normal function.

#6 ·
That's just a normal function of the evaporator in the a/c system. Like MEANGXP says, since you were running the defroster that automatically runs the a/c system to dry the air and you are just seeing normal condensation draining from the evaporator.;) If the heater core goes out it almost always leaks into the floor of the car. I definitely wouldn't sweat it though, as it's normal.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.