Water pump? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Water pump?

So I've had my solstice for 3 months now knowing about the waterpump usual issue. I knew this day would come but didn't know it was so soon. Lol. Well at least that is what I think it is. I need tips from the experts here.

Fluid said low this morning on way to work, then It went away, then I saw the coolant temp light go on then it went off. I got to work and everything was steaming hot. Went and got more coolant. On an attempt to drive home coolant temp went up to 250 as I was coming up to a light. Once I stopped at the light it started going down. I hear that is an indicator of waterpump? The faster I drove the higher the temp so I stopped and parked. Any ideas? Before I try to do a lot of work for nothing? Maybe the thermostat? Anything else? The cooling fan is working fine. I didn't see and sign of leaks on the group. I did notice that the coolant is being used up fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 07:34 PM

Responded to the other info in your other post.
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1901426

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Responded to the other info in your other post.
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1901426

Thanks. Yeah I saw that the last reply on that topic is old so I wasn't sure if I should have started a new one or not. Don't mean to overcrowd
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 12:11 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Don't drive your car at 250F. It WILL destroy the engine.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

I shut it off. I had it at 250 degrees for less than a minute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Just bought new waterpump. Hopefully will be putting it in next week

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 10:30 AM

If it is your WP, look for an orangish gel like substance anywhere around or below the pump. I'm certain you will find it! If the reservoir was completely empty, you have had a catastrophic failure and SHOULD NOT drive your car until it's fixed. The thing with these cars and their WP are weird. You could have it leak a little....quit leaking...start leaking again...quit leaking and then suddenly it just decides to puke everything out in a matter of seconds. I drove mine for over 1000 miles after I figured out it was leaking but waited for it to get worse so the dealer could find it and warranty it. Once it's become major though, it seems like it won't go back the other way at all.

You do know that there is a special tool you will need to replace it correct? If you don't use it or use it properly, you will have to reset the timing chain.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
If it is your WP, look for an orangish gel like substance anywhere around or below the pump. I'm certain you will find it! If the reservoir was completely empty, you have had a catastrophic failure and SHOULD NOT drive your car until it's fixed. The thing with these cars and their WP are weird. You could have it leak a little....quit leaking...start leaking again...quit leaking and then suddenly it just decides to puke everything out in a matter of seconds. I drove mine for over 1000 miles after I figured out it was leaking but waited for it to get worse so the dealer could find it and warranty it. Once it's become major though, it seems like it won't go back the other way at all.

You do know that there is a special tool you will need to replace it correct? If you don't use it or use it properly, you will have to reset the timing chain.

Yes I ordered the special tool also. Also got a new thermostat. Might as well replace those

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 12:40 PM

Did you check the cap first? (per other thread).

Seems like you are automatically assuming the worst.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Yes I checked the cap. It wasn't leaking over the cap. Didn't see any leaks at all. The only thing that happened was overheat and no heater. And coolant going down fast

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 01:21 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllertime View Post
Didn't see any leaks at all.
Ummm... have you looked at your oil? The coolant went somewhere. If it didn't come out of the cap, or under the car, there aren't a lot of other possibilities. One (really bad) one is into the cylinder or your oil pan, which would mean a blown head gasket or cracked block or head.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I looked at the oil. Looks good. Also, I'm sure most or if not all of the coolant is going down through the overheat drip hose

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllertime View Post
Yeah I looked at the oil. Looks good. Also, I'm sure most or if not all of the coolant is going down through the overheat drip hose
Yeah. Exactly. So that *IS* your leak!

Coolant gets out of that hose via the sprung seal in the coolant cap. If the cap is bad, the coolant is escaping past the seal into the overflow hose before (at lower pressure than) it should.

If coolant is escaping you'll have bubbles throughout the block (and cabin heater).

THAT will cause localized overheating, raising the coolant pressure and pushing MORE coolant out past the cap.

REPLACE THAT CAP FIRST!!!!!

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

I'm guessing ou are talking about this cap?

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Here is what I just noticed the other day too. All that oil looking thing. Is that the waterpump?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode