Water pump? - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 05:44 AM

A couple items here that are concerning.

First and foremost is that you are asking if that last pic is from the WP. My major concern with that statement is that you are going to 'try' and replace your WP by yourself. This isn't an oil change or tire change...this is some heavy repair work on this car that needs to be done very precisely or it will screw up other items....mainly your timing chain. Then the whole front of the motor has to come off to fix that issue!!! And that would be upwards of $1000. Let me ask a question, not trying to be negative or an A$$.....have you ever done anything this heavy before on a car? If all you have ever done is change oil or an occasional tire, have the WP done by a garage that knows these cars and the procedure. And I'm sure most here would agree with that statement. Even if you've done brakes on a car, this is still not the first heavy repair you want to start with. While the sun does shine on a dog's butt every once-in-while, this repair is just too easy to screw up. Again, not trying to be an A$$, just trying to save you a lot of money and time.

Next concern.... Mine, and everyone else's coolant leaks I've seen are usually orange in color. It usually forms an orange gel around or below the pump, not black like your pic. However, that doesn't mean that it isn't coolant as it could have been leaking for quite a while. Although, with that being that dark, you would have already gone through several gallons of antifreeze or the PO would have!! I believe you said you've had your car for 3 months....how many miles have you put on it? I'm wondering if the PO didn't have a small leak, found out how much it would be to replace the WP (~$800) and decided the car wasn't worth it and dumped it. That would explain why it's so dark. Then the leak went away for awhile (like mine did...for about 1000 miles) and now it has come back as a catastrophic leak. I also would have thought with a leak that severe that you would have smelled coolant at some point. Again, not saying this isn't antifreeze, its just very dark compared to the ones I've seen. Which means someone probably knew about the leak for a while.

We're here to help you!! And give you advice... Even though it might be advise that rubs you the wrong way. Please don't take offense to any of my statements above....I'm just trying to save you a major headache and a lot of time and money. I know how to work on cars. I've spent 15+ years in the dealership world. I've done brakes, shocks, struts, head gaskets, transmissions....and the only way I would ever replace the WP on my own, is if I was doing the timing chain. Which I am doing this winter, so mine might get another new WP as this one has about 30k on it already. There's just too much room for error on the WP replacement. Many will disagree with me here!! If you are still going to attempt it, good luck and report back how it went.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your concerns. My friend that builds cars, motorcycles, whatever you can thing of is doing the work for me. He's done a lot of more heavy work compared to this. I'll be just helping out. No I don't trust myself a bit to do it. Lol. I went ahead and ordered the car and will test that out and see if that fixes the issue first. Never know right. Maybe Tomatosoup is right. Maybe the cap isn't holding in the pressure and it's spitting out what isn't supposed to. Yes it bubbles up like crazy when hot and starts dripping slowly from the overflow hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 07:07 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllertime View Post
Here is what I just noticed the other day too. All that oil looking thing. Is that the waterpump?

That is your power steering pump.

On the up side, it's a LOT easier to change than the water pump.

The down side is that it won't cause overheating, so now you have two problems.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar

Last edited by raygun; 10-21-2016 at 07:10 AM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun View Post
That is your power steering pump.

On the up side, it's a LOT easier to change than the water pump.

The down side is that it won't cause overheating, so now you have two problems.

Good to know. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode