What technically causes waterpumps to fail? - Page 6 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:33 PM

So is the water pump failure more prevalent in early cars or are all 2006, 07 & 08 cars have the same potential? You guys have me nervous, my 07 GXP just turned over 27K miles.

Not sure if it has been flushed since I just bought it from the 2nd owner.

Last edited by Mike Trom; 06-18-2019 at 05:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:58 PM

Have you done a flush Mike?
post #78 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
At last check there have been 4 or 5 supersessions of different designs for our pumps....
I thought I remembered reading that our WP had gone through changes, that's why I was surprised to see that it didn't look like the part number had ever changed. But doesn't GM changed the part number or isn't it superseded by a new part number after each change or if they've switched to a new vendor?

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #79 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
I thought I remembered reading that our WP had gone through changes, that's why I was surprised to see that it didn't look like the part number had ever changed. But doesn't GM changed the part number or isn't it superseded by a new part number after each change or if they've switched to a new vendor?
I can't state definitively how GM handles engineering changes but in most cases manufacturers will only change the engineering level or part number if there is a compatibility conflict with previous generations or some other major reason to differentiate between generations. (Recall, for example.) A "running change" will likely not cause a change in part number.
ChopTop likes this.

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #80 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyryderca View Post
Have you done a flush Mike?
Not sure since I just got the car, I will have to assume it has not. Should I take it to the dealer to have that done?
post #81 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:25 AM

Mike i take mine to the dealer for a flush as i can't wrench were i live but there are lots of folks on the site that do their own & with the correct knowledge on doing it. I do little wrenching today & my knowledge is limited.
post #82 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:27 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
If the statement that its gear loading that is causing the failure, changing the coolant will have little impact on its failure. Or am I missing something?

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #83 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
If the statement that its gear loading that is causing the failure, changing the coolant will have little impact on its failure. Or am I missing something?
In my opinion that is correct. I lean more and more toward thinking that the problem is a batch of near-out-of-spec parts that we just happened to be in the middle of.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #84 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
In my opinion that is correct. I lean more and more toward thinking that the problem is a batch of near-out-of-spec parts that we just happened to be in the middle of.
Had my eyes opened years ago to the folly of upper and lower dimensional specifications. If you've designed to one specific size as "best" and the allow "plus" and "minus" from that target, you imply that the component that is just barely inside the limits is just as good as the one in the center of the limits.

It's like saying the "D" student is just as good as the "A" student because they both pass the test. If there were a section of production run "just within" specification it could likely have resulted in a rash of early failures.

Or, it could be we still don't know the true cause . . .

post #85 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:36 PM

As I have learned in my role as a Quality Inspector, meeting spec doesn't mean the part is worth a damn.

Driving and working on a Sly 2008 Solstice GXP 5spd 260/260, and the worst-built 2012 LS3 Camaro 1SS to escape from Oshawa.

Gone but not forgotten:
2007 Solstice GXP 5 speed 290/340

Stored and needing to part ways with a 1970 Skylark Custom convertible I have owned since 1989 and turned into a GS455 clone. 462 with 7/8 primary headers, adjustable roller rockers, TA Performance Stage 1 aluminum heads, auto, Chevy 12 bolt, 3.31:1. Sadly a project car now but a driver from '89 to '06.
post #86 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
As I have learned in my role as a Quality Inspector, meeting spec doesn't mean the part is worth a damn.
As I was quick to point out when I managed a product design department, I know where 90% of the specifications come from and the sun doesn't shine very brightly there.

post #87 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:23 PM

Well, where do I start. My 09 Solstice coupe ( 54,000 miles) while at the Nationals in Corning, NY the water pump decided to fail. I was able to make it to a GM Dealership about 15 miles away. After filling the coolant reservoir again, it was just about out of coolant. After 3 days in the shop, it was fixed ( for the second time). They said, the first water pump they installed was defected. Lucky for me, I had a BG warranty on the cooling system, that covers, water pump, radiator, and heater core. The warranty covered about 85% of the total cost. I also, have this warranty on my 06 Solstice (44,000 miles). And, the new water pump is under warranty for 2 years, parts and labor.
post #88 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ROD View Post
Well, where do I start. My 09 Solstice coupe ( 54,000 miles) while at the Nationals in Corning, NY the water pump decided to fail. I was able to make it to a GM Dealership about 15 miles away. After filling the coolant reservoir again, it was just about out of coolant. After 3 days in the shop, it was fixed ( for the second time). They said, the first water pump they installed was defected. Lucky for me, I had a BG warranty on the cooling system, that covers, water pump, radiator, and heater core. The warranty covered about 85% of the total cost. I also, have this warranty on my 06 Solstice (44,000 miles). And, the new water pump is under warranty for 2 years, parts and labor.
Sorry to hear that, good that you had the warranty - it's probably paid for itself with that!

As for the failure though, that suggests the bad batch theory may not be the reason, if you have an 09 that failed so soon. Dammit. I was hoping that maybe my 08 would be free and clear

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #89 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwire View Post
As I was quick to point out when I managed a product design department, I know where 90% of the specifications come from and the sun doesn't shine very brightly there.
Ain't this the truth though. I have looked through some prints that are obviously updated in order to put a band-aid on a band-aid. It would cost the same amount of money to just fix it right, but the spec says....
chickenwire likes this.

Driving and working on a Sly 2008 Solstice GXP 5spd 260/260, and the worst-built 2012 LS3 Camaro 1SS to escape from Oshawa.

Gone but not forgotten:
2007 Solstice GXP 5 speed 290/340

Stored and needing to part ways with a 1970 Skylark Custom convertible I have owned since 1989 and turned into a GS455 clone. 462 with 7/8 primary headers, adjustable roller rockers, TA Performance Stage 1 aluminum heads, auto, Chevy 12 bolt, 3.31:1. Sadly a project car now but a driver from '89 to '06.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode