Wheel stud replacement - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Wheel stud replacement

I need some help. Recently I damaged a wheel stud on the rear passenger side axle. Does anyone know if the stud replacement process is something that I might be able to do at home using common tools, or is the process more involved, having to use specialty tools and alike. I guess what I am really getting at is, can I replace the stud without having to remove the axle from the car, or can I remove the wheel, the brake rotor and then press the stud out and replace with new?

Check out my Videos at:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD8QuI96BfggTK6m2RSEwNd5JYROEBePV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP-Coupe1 View Post
I guess what I am really getting at is, can I replace the stud without having to remove the axle from the car,
or can I remove the wheel, the brake rotor and then press the stud out and replace with new?
You can do it. Axle removal not necessary.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 06:18 PM

I recently did two. You'll need a 35mm Axle nut socket, 18mm, 15mm sockets, and some extensions, and a torx bit (forget the size) for the rotor set screw.
Remove the wheel.
Remove the axle nut. Manual says to replace this after every removal.
Remove 3 hub assembly bolts. The front hub assembly & brake dust shield should be free to move now. You may need to switch between Neutral & gears in the process.
The damaged studs should be able to pop out with a hammer. Once out, grease the splines on the new one, slide it through into engagement. At this point, I used washers and a lugnut to press/pull the new stud into proper placement. Then do the reverse re-assembly, noting how the shield sat, etc.

2008 GXP
GM Stage II/GMPP Turbo Upgrade, Dejon IC, GMPP CAI, Dejon Pipes & T-Bolts. Quaife ATB.
DDM Backbrace, DDM Pro-beam

2010 Nissan Frontier V6 6spd 4x4

1992 GMC Typhoon
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 02:59 AM

Location: Deep in the land of cotton where good times there are not forgotten
That is the way that I do it and also torque to 100 foot pounds to make sure that stud is seated. Then reinstall wheel and torque to 100 foot pounds....Skip....

Driving the Sky takes my breath away that is why I use oxygen...
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Founding Member

Great and timely thread. I have had one stud busted on each front tire for over a year.. but the dealers keep telling me they can't order any so I'm still waiting. Finally got one stud and nut in... I'm waiting to pick up a few extras just in case I have issues.. but I still think the 100 ft-lbs. of torque on the lugnuts is too high, but I know that's what the manual says to use.

My issue is when I swap tires out for autocrossing every weekend I (sometimes) get one lugnut to bind and the only thing to do at that point is grab my breaker bar and apply a heck of a lot of force the shear the stud and run with one missing lug nut.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:40 AM

Location: Under an invisibility cloak, somewhere in the Northeast
Service Manual Procedure

From the 2007 Solstice Service Manual:

Wheel Stud Replacement
Tools Required-J 43631 Ball Joint Remover

Removal Procedure

1) Raise and support the vehicle.

2) Remove the tire and wheel assembly.

3) Remove the brake rotor.

4) Using the J 43631 , remove and discard the wheel stud.

Installation Procedure

1) Install the NEW wheel stud into the wheel bearing hub.

2) Add enough washers (3) in order to draw the stud into the hub.

3) Install the wheel nut (1) with the flat side against the washers.

4) Tighten the wheel nut (1) until the head of the wheel stud is fully seated against the back of the bearing hub flange.

5) Remove the wheel nut (1) and the washers (3).

6) Install the brake rotor.

7) Install the tire and wheel assembly.

8) Lower the vehicle.

INFORMATION POSTED ON SITE
Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, itís attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 09:42 AM

One step missing from above

The instructions from the service manual are very helpfully, but missing one step. I found that to get the new stud in I had to remove the three bolts that hold the dust shield on. Then the whole hub will move a couple of inches or so, enough so you can get the new stud in the hole.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 04:03 PM

According to my dealer and my tire center, the issue isn't torque, it's the lousy thread cut on the studs from GM. Slivers break off and jam the nut. I eventually got 5 spares in the trunk/ Took over a week for GM to get them to the dealer.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 07:37 PM

Hello,

Anti-seize, copper based, at any good parts store. One of the first things I did when new, remove the wheel, anti-seize stud, replace wheel, times four. Everything I own with four wheels has the studs anti-seized, the ATV's, Dump, Enclosed, and RV trailers, and 1 car, 1 mini van, 1 pick-up, 1 Suburban, and oh yea, the SKY.... No wheels have come off yet. Pick-up can vote in two years, Suburban in one..

Mike
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 11:28 AM

Hello all!
Just had the binding nut on the back wheel, please please could someone send me the correct part number for the rear wheel stud. I live in Italy and thus the parts are a bit difficult to find!
Any help greatly recieved.
Jay
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:37 PM

09596978 according to my bag of 5.

2008 GXP
GM Stage II/GMPP Turbo Upgrade, Dejon IC, GMPP CAI, Dejon Pipes & T-Bolts. Quaife ATB.
DDM Backbrace, DDM Pro-beam

2010 Nissan Frontier V6 6spd 4x4

1992 GMC Typhoon
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 10:45 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I just ordered studs from GMpartsdirect on line. They are stocked and can be purchased now from various sources.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:28 AM

Rear wheel stud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesTopLess View Post
The instructions from the service manual are very helpfully, but missing one step. I found that to get the new stud in I had to remove the three bolts that hold the dust shield on. Then the whole hub will move a couple of inches or so, enough so you can get the new stud in the hole.
Naples did you work on the front stud(s) or rear stud(s)? I have a broken rear wheel stud. I removed the three 15 mm bolts to the dust shield and nothing moved. I wonder like Rob said that you have tap them in using a mallet I guess that would be space where the brake caliper was and flat part of the hub? The new wheel stud gets started in the wheel hub but is cocked even with the flat side against the body of the wheel hub. At this point is it mallet time?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 02:03 PM

So the dreaded broken wheel studs hit my track Solstice today - two of them on the same front wheel! I've got until Friday night to fix the studs.

This thread and its 2019 cousin suggest that a GM dealer will be the only place where I could possibly find the special knurled studs on short notice. Here's another question, however: in the Solstice Performance book, they take some ARP long studs and grind down an edge so that they fit in the Solstice hub.

My question is, has anyone actually tried free-hand grinding the studs to the right shape? I'm not a machinist so I'd be putting them in a vise and hitting them with a handheld grinder.

Thanks!

Dave
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:27 PM

Just as an update, I did some more research and I've ordered the OEM studs from a dealer around me, the ARP studs from the Solstice Performance book (will likely return) and the ARP Miata studs with the flat part. I'll leave a description of what the repair was like when it's all done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode