Window Tilt - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Window Tilt Adjustment (Leak Fix)

Hey guys,

My driverís side window is leaking from the front, upper corner (a gap). I took the door panel off and tried various adjustments. Itís my understanding the tilt is controlled through the adjustment at the bottom of the door but when trying to turn counter clockwise, it was instantly loose. What am I doing wrong here?

2007 SLY w/ Ebony Leather & Top
Power | Convenience | Polished w/ Polished Caps | LSD | ABS | A/C | 6-Disc w/ MP3 | Monsoon | XM
GMPP CAI | GMPP Cat-Back Performance Exhaust | Kappashield | 2.55" Stubby | Kappapouch | GXP Alum Sill Plates | GM All Weather Mats & Splash Guards

My mother said to me, "If you are a soldier, you will become a general. If you are a monk, you will become the Pope." Instead, I was a painter, and became Picasso. ~Pablo Picasso

Last edited by NYC_Sol; 05-20-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 08:12 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
there is a bolt in the regulator that moves the bottom of the window horizontally

You cal loosen the two bolts that hold the window frame in the window regulator and move the window up and down to adjust vertical height.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

I understand the two bolts at the top that move the window up and down and when you loosen you can slide the window side to side, Iím talking about the tilt adjustment. I think it needs to tilt in because I canít get rid of the gap with the other adjustments but the nut to tilt in (counter clockwise) or out (clockwise) thatís accessible from underneath the door, was loose after only a quarter turn.

Power | Convenience | Polished w/ Polished Caps | LSD | ABS | A/C | 6-Disc w/ MP3 | Monsoon | XM
GMPP CAI | GMPP Cat-Back Performance Exhaust | Kappashield | 2.55" Stubby | Kappapouch | GXP Alum Sill Plates | GM All Weather Mats & Splash Guards

My mother said to me, "If you are a soldier, you will become a general. If you are a monk, you will become the Pope." Instead, I was a painter, and became Picasso. ~Pablo Picasso
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Iím a bit confused what #2 is referring to in this image:

Is it the threaded bolt and nut in the middle of the door that seems to pass through some internal black frame?

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:57 AM

Location: Phoenix Arizona where there are about 250 days a year for convertible Bebop-ing
The Gomer answer would be: "Dont Drive That Thing When it's Raining" <<<Smile>>>

But Please, I am new here. I have the 400 page owners book.

Where did you get that Service Manual?

Good Luck with your adjustments!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Ok I made every adjustment could... up, down, left, right, tilt in, tilt out but can’t seem to close the gap on the driver’s window (forward top corner) which is where the leak is coming from. Happens every time while driving in the rain and in the car wash. To be honest, the tilt seemed to make zero difference. I even added a couple washers in #2 to push the bottom of the tilt mechanism farther out... nada. Zero difference so I guess I’ll take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it.

Found the images from the manual online. You can see the source if you open the individual image.

Last edited by NYC_Sol; 05-12-2019 at 10:58 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:22 AM

Perhaps the problem is not the window ?!?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
Perhaps the problem is not the window ?!?
What else would you suggest it could be? I replaced the windshield weatherstrip with a brand new one.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:35 AM

Is there a window stop? On my 96 vette, had alignment issue because window stop was broken and window was going up higher than intended tilting towards back at the end creating misalignment on the front corner
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

The solstice windows just sit in 2 clamps. You can loosen the clamps and move the glass left/right, move the clamps up/down, or tilt in/out. There's honestly a lot you can do which is cool and frustrating at the same time... especially when you can't get proper alignment. I've given up and I'm going to take it to a GM dealer on Monday and make them keep adjusting it till they get it fixed.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

So took it to a local dealership who told me I needed to replace the weatherstripping around the windshield. I explained that had already been done, I replaced it with a brand new one. Then they tried to say that if that was already done, it must be a top alignment issue. The gap seems to be with the window and the weatherstrip so I don't understand how the top comes into play. Supposedly they know a guy that has experience working on the Solstice with this specific issue that used to work at this dealership and they're going to see if they can put me in touch with him but I'm left scratching my head on this one.

Edit: Called back to clarify again because I just didn't understand the previous explanation and they're saying there's got to be something bent related to the top that is causing a misalignment and pushing on the weatherstrip in a way that's causing an indentation in the weatherstrip thereby not making a good seal with the door.

Last edited by NYC_Sol; 05-20-2019 at 12:34 PM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:47 PM

When did this start to happen? Was the window alignment always an issue?

WooHoo!!! Ordered a loaded Deep GXP on March 19th, 2008. Order number 0814D93708
Event code 3400 on April 12, 2008
Born April 30, 2008
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

To be honest I'm not sure. It's been leaking for a while but not sure when it started because for 10 years it sat is a garage in NYC and was only driving a couple times a year when it was warm and sunny. Since I've moved to FL and it's being driven more often in the rain, it's been more noticeable.

I tried adjusting the window myself using the various adjustments but I just can't seem to close the gap. A shop where I had some work done adjusted the bolts on the inner jam to pull the door in a bit tighter but there's still a gap *sigh*

I found some rust inside the door, assumedly due to the leak.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:38 AM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
mine hasent leeked, but the drivers side upper front corner top seal has a nice "kink" to it right where the window bend shape starts to go angled down,I dont know how it dosent leek but I'm sure it will of the weather strip kinks up or shrinks up any.I thought it might be made that way then I looked at the other side and no kink/dent/indention. if it's a hallow seal i could add some similar density foam in side carefully when/if it does start. my best advice it try to locate exactly where the leek is coming from. squeak&leek tech's are usually the new guy...and a new guy wont know squat about our cars...good luck and be sure to let us know what you found and the fix. I hope you have a garage to keep it in this sun is a killer...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
mine hasent leeked, but the drivers side upper front corner top seal has a nice "kink" to it right where the window bend shape starts to go angled down,I dont know how it dosent leek but I'm sure it will of the weather strip kinks up or shrinks up any.I thought it might be made that way then I looked at the other side and no kink/dent/indention. if it's a hallow seal i could add some similar density foam in side carefully when/if it does start. my best advice it try to locate exactly where the leek is coming from. squeak&leek tech's are usually the new guy...and a new guy wont know squat about our cars...good luck and be sure to let us know what you found and the fix. I hope you have a garage to keep it in this sun is a killer...
You read my mind... I had been thinking about injecting some kind of "filler" to puff it up to make the seal better BUT I think it's hollow for the purpose of transporting water off the roof, no? I could be completely wrong on this but wouldn't want to block it if it was.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode