2007 Model Year Production - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

2007 Model Year Production

May have been reported elsewhere, but I just came across this and thought inquiring minds would like to know. Figures from GM. Model year to date through June 2007 (end of m.y. as 08 started production during month.

Solstice 24,018
Sky 16,567 (includes total Sky to date of which 4430 was through 6/06)
Opel GT 2,365

MY 2006
Solstice 21,273

2007 Calendar year through end of June production

Solstice 13,425
Sky 6,834
GT 2,176

When more than one friend wants to ride shotgun

Pontiac 1926-2010
"We hardly knew 'ya"

Confusion say: "If it ain't broke...give government a crack at it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 07:57 AM

Does the solstice number include the GXP's ?

11/08/06 Sly GXP is here!!!!!! I am Sol-Happy!
11/21/05 Aggressive SOL arrives....(11/09/06 sold)

NASSOA
Founding Member #28
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Yes, total Solstice production. And the Sky # includes Redline. I have yet to find a breakdown further by model, but certainly will report it if I find it.

Pontiac 1926-2010
"We hardly knew 'ya"

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 08:15 AM

Forgive me Father, for I am about to sin:

I have not done a thorough search of solsticeforum.com to find the answer to this question. I understand asking the below will create ire in even those members who are newer than me. I am under a great deal of pressure, however, to actually work at my job, and I know of no good keywords to immediately find the answer using the SF search function. I know this will no doubt place me in an outcast state, but I must ask, despite the number of I will receive:

Can you differentiate model years by VIN? i.e. do 2007's last-six start with 2XXXXX? Also, can you differentiate Sol, Sky, GXP and RL by VIN, or are they just consecutive by order? I know other options typically are hidden within this "all telling" number, but don't know how far it drills down.

...before I'm recognized...

JaxSolMates.com - JaxSols Yahoo! Group - Join JaxSols eMail List (for info about North Florida rides and meets)
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 09:35 AM

Doesn't look good for our beloved car. I know in my market area ( eastern Pa. ) Soltice sales were down 36%.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2DEEP View Post
Doesn't look good for our beloved car. I know in my market area ( eastern Pa. ) Soltice sales were down 36%.
Good. I hope they quit making them altogether after 08. Just think how their value will rise. BTW anyone check out the new GMRoadster club? I saw it advertised on this forum. You can join as a visitor if you don't want to pay $36 per year. Oh yes, to keep it from being a threadjack: apparently they are gathering data as well, specifically tracking vin numbers.

'07 GXP - 3/19/07 - 5 Speed auto - Black/Charcoal Leather - Red stitching- LSD - Monsoon - MP3 - XM - A/C - ABS - Cruise - GXP Floormats - Chrome wheels - Sport pedals - leather visor covers - GM Stage power upgrade - Polished Santana cupholder

my other vehicle is a 2008 jeep wrangler rubicon unlimited
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 09:57 AM

Location: Under an invisibility cloak, somewhere in the Northeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJSmith

Can you differentiate model years by VIN? i.e. do 2007's last-six start with 2XXXXX? Also, can you differentiate Sol, Sky, GXP and RL by VIN, or are they just consecutive by order? I know other options typically are hidden within this "all telling" number, but don't know how far it drills down.
2007 Kappa production at Wilmington will have a VIN ending in 7 Y _ _ _ _ _ _ . This would be for all the Solstices and Skys, and I think even the Opels (someone has posted).

In any 17 digit VIN, the 10th spot would be the year indicator.

Solstices and Skys can only be identified through the begining numbers of the VIN. Example a Base Solstice's VIN woudl start 1G2MB, a GXP would be 1G2MG.

The only "option" clues hidden in the VIN is the engine code, possibly the restraint system (if a model uses more than one).

(1) Country of Origin-"1" for USA

(2) Manufacturer-"G" for General Motors

(3) Make-"2" for Pontiac

(4-5) Carline/Series-"M/B" for Sport/Convertible, Solstice. "M/G" for GXP/Convertible, Solstice

(6) Body Style-"3" for 2-Door, Convertible

(7) Restraint System

(8) Engine Type-"X" for RPO LNF, 2.0L, 4 CYL., DI, ALUM, DOHC, TURBO, GM, "B" for RPO LE5, 2.4L, 4 CYL., MFL, ALUM, DOHC, HO, ECOTEC

(9) Check Digit

(10) Model Year-"7" for 2007

(11) Plant Location-"Y" for Wilmington, DE, USA

(12-17) Plant Sequence Number

INFORMATION POSTED ON SITE
Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, itís attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."

Last edited by Small Dealer; 08-16-2007 at 02:35 PM.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Back before Small Dealer was a dealer I think they even designated the transmission in the vin. At least some of teh decoding I've seen in some of the classic and antique magazines seems to indicate as much. Not so important presently with a Solstice, but if you are restoring a high value 'vette or GTO from the '60s for concours every number counts - even as to locating components with proper build dates - e.g. if you are replacing a transmission in a GTO built 10/67 you don't install a tranny with a 11/67 date code or they deduct points.

Pontiac 1926-2010
"We hardly knew 'ya"

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Dealer View Post
2007 Kappa production at Wilmington will have a VIN ending in 7 Y _ _ _ _ _ _ . This would be for all the Solstices and Skys, and I think even the Opels (someone has posted).

Solstices and Skys can only be identified through the begining numbers of the VIN. Example a Base Solstice's VIN woudl start 1G2MB, a GXP would be 1G2MG.
Thank you, Mr. CarFax. So, did the first 2007 Sol have VIN 7Y101001? (I believe it was stated the first non-F1K had a VIN 6Y101001...)

JaxSolMates.com - JaxSols Yahoo! Group - Join JaxSols eMail List (for info about North Florida rides and meets)
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJSmith
So, did the first 2007 Sol have VIN 7Y101001?
No, 2007 production was well under way with the Sky before the first 2007 Solstice was built. There was some speculation last year, and not going to search for it, that the first 2007 Solstice was around 7Y104300, give or take a little.

Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, itís attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."

Last edited by Small Dealer; 08-10-2007 at 07:11 AM.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 06:26 AM

I called Pontiac customer assistance for GXP numbers on Tuesday. I was told to call back in mid September, they may have the breakdown by then.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 02:17 PM

The 8th character.

Quote:

The only "option" clues hidden in the VIN is the engine code, possibly the restraint system (if a model uses more than one).

(1) Country of Origin-"1" for USA

(2) Manufacturer-"G" for General Motors

(3) Make-"2" for Pontiac

(4-5) Carline/Series-"M/B" for Sport/Convertible, Solstice. "M/G" for GXP/Convertible, Solstice

(6) Body Style-"3" for 2-Door, Convertible

(7) Restraint System

(8) Engine Type-"M" for RPO LNF, 2.0L, 4 CYL., DI, ALUM, DOHC, TURBO, GM, "B" for RPO LE5, 2.4L, 4 CYL., MFL, ALUM, DOHC, HO, ECOTEC

(9) Check Digit

(10) Model Year-"7" for 2007

(11) Plant Location-"Y" for Wilmington, DE, USA

(12-17) Plant Sequence Number
#8 is the engine type ? "M" is for the 2.0 and the "B" is for the 2.4. Mine has an X for the 8th Character. What is that ?

Last edited by twotoys; 08-16-2007 at 02:18 PM. Reason: wrong info.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotoys
#8 is the engine type ? "M" is for the 2.0 and the "B" is for the 2.4. Mine has an X for the 8th Character. What is that ?

"X" would be a choice for the #9 Position, the check digit.

Take another look. Sometimes the first digit, especially a "1", can be hard to see as it starts out of the box in the windshield for the VIN.

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 02:32 PM

I'm not sure

Quote:
"X" would be a choice for the #9 Position, the check digit.

Take another look. Sometimes the first digit, especially a "1", can be hard to see as it starts out of the box in the windshield for the VIN.
the vin is 1G2MG35X67YXXXXXX
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotoys View Post
the vin is 1G2MG35X67YXXXXXX
I apologize, you are right, the service manual is incorrect. Thanks for catching that, will change my cut/paste post.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode