Originally Posted by ScottJSmith
Can you differentiate model years by VIN? i.e. do 2007's last-six start with 2XXXXX? Also, can you differentiate Sol, Sky, GXP and RL by VIN, or are they just consecutive by order? I know other options typically are hidden within this "all telling" number, but don't know how far it drills down.
2007 Kappa production at Wilmington will have a VIN ending in 7 Y _ _ _ _ _ _
. This would be for all the Solstices and Skys, and I think even the Opels (someone has posted).
In any 17 digit VIN, the 10th spot would be the year indicator.
Solstices and Skys can only be identified through the begining numbers of the VIN. Example a Base Solstice's VIN woudl start 1G2MB, a GXP would be 1G2MG.
The only "option" clues hidden in the VIN is the engine code, possibly the restraint system (if a model uses more than one).
(1) Country of Origin-"1" for USA
(2) Manufacturer-"G" for General Motors
(3) Make-"2" for Pontiac
(4-5) Carline/Series-"M/B" for Sport/Convertible, Solstice. "M/G" for GXP/Convertible, Solstice
(6) Body Style-"3" for 2-Door, Convertible
(7) Restraint System
(8) Engine Type-"X" for RPO LNF, 2.0L, 4 CYL., DI, ALUM, DOHC, TURBO, GM, "B" for RPO LE5, 2.4L, 4 CYL., MFL, ALUM, DOHC, HO, ECOTEC
(9) Check Digit
(10) Model Year-"7" for 2007
(11) Plant Location-"Y" for Wilmington, DE, USA
(12-17) Plant Sequence Number