2007 Model Year Production - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 02:53 PM

No apology needed. I'm just wondering what the X is. shouldn't it be an "M" for the 2.0.
or am I just not getting it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJSmith View Post
Forgive me Father, for I am about to sin:

I have not done a thorough search of solsticeforum.com to find the answer to this question. I understand asking the below will create ire in even those members who are newer than me. I am under a great deal of pressure, however, to actually work at my job, and I know of no good keywords to immediately find the answer using the SF search function. I know this will no doubt place me in an outcast state, but I must ask, despite the number of I will receive:

Can you differentiate model years by VIN? i.e. do 2007's last-six start with 2XXXXX? Also, can you differentiate Sol, Sky, GXP and RL by VIN, or are they just consecutive by order? I know other options typically are hidden within this "all telling" number, but don't know how far it drills down.

...before I'm recognized...
Not sure if am allow to post, but this page IS NOT selling anything, but may help with the VIN debate.

http://www.mitchellsupport.com/ondemand5/VIN/VIN.pdf

'07 Solstice WOW WII Mysterious, Darkside loaded, no smoker package,(how does one smoke doing 140km with the roof down)

MODS:
Hahn's Stage II Turbo
Solo SQR-2
Solo High Flo Cat
DDM BackBone
DDM ProBeam
Norm's Rear Valance
Wester's Tune
Tinted
NEXT:

'09 G8 GT Liquid Red WOW WEE
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 03:36 PM

Location: Under an invisibility cloak, somewhere in the Northeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by twotoys
No apology needed. I'm just wondering what the X is. shouldn't it be an "M" for the 2.0.
or am I just not getting it ?
After you pointed it out, I went to the dealership car locator and found a GXP and it's VIN matched yours, with an "X" in the #8 or engine place.

So "X" stands for the 2.0L Turbo in the Solstice. The information I cut and pasted was incorrect.

I think "M" was the engine code for the 2.0L Turbo in the 1987 Sunfire/Grand Am.

Perhaps that is where the person or persons that wrote the service manual made their data error in putting together the chart.

INFORMATION POSTED ON SITE
Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, itís attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."

Last edited by Small Dealer; 08-16-2007 at 03:47 PM.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSol View Post
Good. I hope they quit making them altogether after 08. Just think how their value will rise. BTW anyone check out the new GMRoadster club? I saw it advertised on this forum. You can join as a visitor if you don't want to pay $36 per year. Oh yes, to keep it from being a threadjack: apparently they are gathering data as well, specifically tracking vin numbers.
Would have nothing more to do with them after my first experience. No soon than I regestrering as a visitor I got an e-mail saying a young lady in my area was interessted in start a local club and would I like to join. They offered to sell me domain names and packages on how to set up a club. Almost the same wording showed up on this forum a few days ago suggesting the since there was no club in the DC area (there is) would some of us like to start one. The bottom line appears to be to sell web site domain names and memberships in the national club etc. NO THANKS It a free country and figuring ways to make a buck is fine, but NO THANKS.

Cheers
GMH

Mysterious GXP
May you always be topless with a full tank
NASSOA Founding Member #95
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 04:29 PM

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Dealer View Post
After you pointed it out, I went to the dealership car locator and found a GXP and it's VIN matched yours, with an "X" in the #8 or engine place.

So "X" stands for the 2.0L Turbo in the Solstice. The information I cut and pasted was incorrect.

I think "M" was the engine code for the 2.0L Turbo in the 1987 Sunfire/Grand Am.

Perhaps that is where the person or persons that wrote the service manual made their data error in putting together the chart.
Ok That clears up that. I was hoping that maybe I had an expiermental model or something. I was really looking to find out what the last production VIN s were, when I came across that. Thanks again.
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 09:56 PM

I can't make sense of these numbers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by achieftain View Post
May have been reported elsewhere, but I just came across this and thought inquiring minds would like to know. Figures from GM. Model year to date through June 2007 (end of m.y. as 08 started production during month.

Solstice 24,018
Sky 16,567 (includes total Sky to date of which 4430 was through 6/06)
Opel GT 2,365

MY 2006
Solstice 21,273

2007 Calendar year through end of June production

Solstice 13,425
Sky 6,834
GT 2,176
How do they relate to the numbers above?

Backstage
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 10:05 PM

Location: Under an invisibility cloak, somewhere in the Northeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage View Post
Confusing, did you insert the bold numbers inside the quote?

Keep in mind that the larger 24,018 is said to represent model year production. That would be June 2006 to June 2007.

The number in bold, 13,425, is said to be just the calander year production through June. Which would include 2007 and 2008 models.

INFORMATION POSTED ON SITE
Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, itís attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage View Post

Backstage
SD is correct, the bottom numbers simply represent calendar year productino for 6 months Jan-June of 2007, which includes some 2008 models. July figures are out but since teh model year production ended in June I felt that would confuse it even further.

2006 Solstices were produced during 2005 and up through June 2006. There were no 2006 Skys, as production of them in 2006 started with the 2007 model. I wanted to show a clearer picture of the ratio of production among the three cars being built. If you only looked at model year it appears that Skys represent 38.5% of 2007 production. Daily production levels are closer to (but not exact since we do not know exactly when the first GT rolled) 30.5%. HTH

When more than one friend wants to ride shotgun

Pontiac 1926-2010
"We hardly knew 'ya"

Confusion say: "If it ain't broke...give government a crack at it."
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Dealer View Post
2007 Kappa production at Wilmington will have a VIN ending in 7 Y _ _ _ _ _ _ . This would be for all the Solstices and Skys, and I think even the Opels (someone has posted).

In any 17 digit VIN, the 10th spot would be the year indicator.

Solstices and Skys can only be identified through the begining numbers of the VIN. Example a Base Solstice's VIN woudl start 1G2MB, a GXP would be 1G2MG.

The only "option" clues hidden in the VIN is the engine code, possibly the restraint system (if a model uses more than one).

(1) Country of Origin-"1" for USA

(2) Manufacturer-"G" for General Motors

(3) Make-"2" for Pontiac

(4-5) Carline/Series-"M/B" for Sport/Convertible, Solstice. "M/G" for GXP/Convertible, Solstice

(6) Body Style-"3" for 2-Door, Convertible

(7) Restraint System

(8) Engine Type-"X" for RPO LNF, 2.0L, 4 CYL., DI, ALUM, DOHC, TURBO, GM, "B" for RPO LE5, 2.4L, 4 CYL., MFL, ALUM, DOHC, HO, ECOTEC

(9) Check Digit

(10) Model Year-"7" for 2007

(11) Plant Location-"Y" for Wilmington, DE, USA

(12-17) Plant Sequence Number
Awesome info! Thanks Small Dealer!!

Mean N.A.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Founding Member

Gt

Finally spotted one of those Opel GT's the other day. Actually, my wife did. She followed a yellow one on a B-road for a few miles. There have been a couple of times when I thought I saw one out of the corner of my eye going the opposite direction on the autobahn, but this was a definite sighting.

Still waiting for them to come to rental car fleets (if ever) so I can take one to Nurburgring.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 11:59 PM

Total Kappa production = 42,950.

I thought plant capacity was around 30,000. Even with a long MY for Saturns, that is a good production run for one model year of sports cars.

They built way more Opels than I expected. I though they would produce 1000 cars. Good for Opel.

Nice to think, when these numbers start to slide, the coupe will be here to bolster sales back to capacity.

2008 Solstice GXP Roadster
I've been humped

Kappasphere AX wheels
DDMWorks extreme backbone
GMPP Stage 2
Splash Guards
Black bezel headlamps

23,777 fun miles

You don't need a trunk to haul ass...

Official car of SCCA Touring 2 Champion Don Knowles.

Last edited by jimbo; 08-22-2007 at 12:06 AM.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 03:51 PM

2006/2007

OK, I am being dumb...

Oh, wait... is it... first group of three numbers is MY 2007, second # (21,273) MY 2006, then a breakdown of 2007 calendar year production? The 2007, 2006, 2007 order threw me.

Backstage

Solstice 24,018
Sky 16,567 (includes total Sky to date of which 4430 was through 6/06)
Opel GT 2,365

MY 2006
Solstice 21,273

2007 Calendar year through end of June production

Solstice 13,425
Sky 6,834
GT 2,176
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 08:33 PM

So how many are there?

Now that the plant is closed, how many total solstice's are there? Skys?
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 05:58 AM

I would be really curious about the total number of Solstice's as well.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 01:25 PM

Somewhere there must be information, now that it is all over.

Model year breakdown, how many were GXP and N/A, which transmission, colors...it must be somewhere.

2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2007 Jeep Commander
1973 AMC Javelin AMX

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode