Edmund's Comparision. This one you ain't gona like..... - Page 19 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #271 of 276 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwcarpenter
My point was made to get you to admit exactly this. Because it means there are various degrees of oversteer as well. For a sports car NOT to display some oversteer equates to a boring drive. I certainly hope (and think) the Solstice will oversteer. I certainly hope (and think) the Solstice will not always be in understeer as the Edmunds article suggests. That would make for a boring car that is hard to drive fast at it's limit.

At far less than the limit, your 90%'ers won't know the difference either way.
I think all our misunderstands come from I am talking about your everyday driver in everyday conditions

Unemployed since 4/09, Anyone got a job for me?
Red Sky At Night, Skyman's Delight
Now Driving! Nitesky II
DELIVERED 9/24/07

Tim

Last edited by Classic66vair; 09-30-2005 at 06:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 276 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 06:30 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic66vair
... if you were as smart as you want people to believe, you would know that and not make such a statement..
If you were as smart as you want people to believe, you would not make such a statement. Sorry, couldn't resist! No need to get so personal. Take it easy. It's just a friendly Internet discussion of cars ... or it could be!

Thanks, Robrecht
post #273 of 276 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrecht
If you were as smart as you want people to believe, you would not make such a statement. Sorry, couldn't resist! No need to get so personal. Take it easy. It's just a friendly Internet discussion of cars ... or it could be!
Same to you Fella!!!

Now Driving! Nitesky II
DELIVERED 9/24/07

Tim
post #274 of 276 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic66vair
I think all our misunderstands come from I am talking about your everyday driver in everyday conditions
I realize this. That's why it's so invalid. Everyday drivers in everyday conditions are not going to experiance under/oversteer at any sort of appreciable level from either car. However, the C&D article you keep refering back to (and all the reviews for that matter) is about driving the car at the llimit, performance driving.

I think you underestimate just how big the gap is between "everyday" and "at the limit" with these cars.
post #275 of 276 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwcarpenter
I realize this. That's why it's so invalid. Everyday drivers in everyday conditions are not going to experiance under/oversteer at any sort of appreciable level from either car. However, the C&D article you keep refering back to (and all the reviews for that matter) is about driving the car at the llimit, performance driving.

I think you underestimate just how big the gap is between "everyday" and "at the limit" with these cars.
You also must realize that even the ones that will drive the car at it's limit will only do it a very small portion of their overall time in the car, the rest of the time they will be driving it in normal everyday situations...Cars like these were meant to be enjoyed at more that using them at their limits, and if they can't put a smile on your face any time but if your driving like that then that is't a very enjoyable car to me....

Now Driving! Nitesky II
DELIVERED 9/24/07

Tim
post #276 of 276 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Understeer, oversteer? To Quote Car&Driver:

Quote:
the MX-5 is delightfully neutral. Although you can't easily kick out the tail with power, you can definitely balance the car with your right foot once you start cornering with enthusiasm.
Quote:
The Solstice might not have the power to kick out its tail at the exit of a corner, but entering a corner near the limit is easy because the steering offers crisp turn-in and the wide all-season 245/40R-18 Goodyear Eagle RS-As are predictable and easy to slide around. If you do carry too much speed into a corner, understeer will rear its shuddering head, but a slight lift off the accelerator will transfer enough weight off the rear tires to cause them to slip wide, which has the effect of tucking the car back into the corner.
Sounds to me like they are close to the same. Come into a corner hot and if you let off the throttle the rears will get loose. (as it should) The Solstice will exhibit a touch more understeer entering the corner.

Stupidity is the basic building block of the universe. -- Frank Zappa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode