GM kicks its engineers to the curb - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 05:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinVenom View Post
Rather than relying on the company to give you a pension, the smart thing to do is to build your own.
I got tired of working for others in 1982. I was never a good underling and working for yourself is the only way to be your own boss.

It's not easy and you don't get rich quick. Lots of ups and downs but it is rewarding.

Worst day working for yourself is better than the best day working for someone else.
wmf246, nauticalm and alberta boy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 02:59 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmf246 View Post
great idea… if you had 20/20 foresight 30
years ago
Bill
Well to let you know I did, an in my case I now have both.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinVenom View Post
Well to let you know I did, an in my case I now have both.
congrats....
through no 'vision' of my own part my company started profit sharing in the late 70s and it morphed to 401Ks; so I was able to amass a good amount of $, but I was still forced out at 52...
Bill
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:58 AM

So a bit of inside insight on this whole GM laying off 4000 white collar workers... I don't know all of the details and it might be a bit of information that might be boring for some, but it sheds a light on the current layoffs. Let's go back a bit. The Trump Administration (further known as TA) has been in talks with California on auto emissions standards. Several years ago the OEs decided to do 1 catalyst system on cars to get away from having California Emissions (CE) and the other emissions in the other 35 or 40 states that didn't want CE. Flash forward to the election and the TA now. TA doesn't believe that the standards set for 2025(?) are attainable and decided to not push this law. Why did I go there you ask? I can't remember exact dates or emissions standards, but basically sometime in the near future (2026?) all vehicles sold in Cali would need to be 80-100% emission free. The OEs have liked this idea and instead of saying it can't be done like in years past, have backed this proposal. Why? GM and Ford have positioned themselves and told the public that EVs will replace the ICE by 2025(?) starting back quite a few years ago. So they now have to follow through with what they've told the public as they think the EV is the best thing since sliced bread....and its a HUGE money maker for them over an ICE powered vehicle. Current thinking in the market is that this allowed GM to layoff all of these ICE engineers and hire "fresh out of college", new style of thinking engineers that will bring them into the EV marketplace by 2026(?). Thus the current picture at GM. Now that the TA walked away from the table this last week, there could be big issues brewing for OEs that decide to continue down the EV path over the ICE path. The OEs were basically pushing these laws to kill the ICE. Basically they're terrified that with little to no improvements on the ICE required, a company like Kia or Toyota can come in with 15 year old gas engine technology and control the market here in the US while they're struggling...like Elon....to cell EVs.

Now, this has all been kind of a round table discussion, so it's merely somewhat of opinion as to the layoffs at GM...so don't hold it against me!! LOL.... Personally, EVs are NOT the wave or problem solver they are expecting. And AEVs are still many years (20+) off down the road. We don't have a fast enough, strong enough, energy efficient computers that can make the calculations necessary to be completely autonomous. So I think GM screwed up here and it's going to bite them in the rear if not destroy the company. Only time will tell.... Let's hope they get rid of Mary next!

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.

Last edited by The_Ghost; 02-23-2019 at 07:01 AM.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmf246 View Post
great idea… if you had 20/20 foresight 30
years ago
Bill
I did.

I still advise younger folks to not rely on your employer or the government to fund your retirement.

nauticalm and syjos like this.

'07 Sky
2.4L
5 speed
limited slip
chrome
leather
bright interior trim
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 08:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Boltz View Post
I did.

I still advise younger folks to not rely on your employer or the government to fund your retirement.

I totally agree. You can only trust yourself when it comes to your future and retirement.

When you think about the changes in work, jobs, defined pensions, Social Security and the work environment in the past 50 years, I can not imagine the changes the young workers will experience in the next 50 years.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 06:29 PM

As time marches on... the maximum "age limit" is getting lower.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 08:29 PM

Now here is one that will puzzle all of those 'doubting thomases'! (sic) about GM and their future.

Here is a quote from a financial report about Warren Buffet's take on where GM Company is headed. Said differently: Buffett thinks GM is a good investment. This quote is on the news-lines:

"General Motors Co.

Buffett clearly doesn’t seem concerned about a cyclical slowdown in the auto market. In the fourth quarter, Berkshire increased its General Motors stake by 37 percent, buying more than 19.8 million more shares. Buffett has been adding to his General Motors stake for several quarters now." By Wayne Duggan, U.S. News & World Report – 02/19/2019
OR
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 08:36 PM

my .02.... GM's future may be bright in Buffett's eyes, but tell that to the folks tossed aside as part of GM's plan to get there… Buffett's primary interest is $, not people....

Bill
44thSKY and nauticalm like this.

Last edited by wmf246; 02-26-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode