Nine of the Most Disappointing American Cars of the Last 15 Years - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Nine of the Most Disappointing American Cars of the Last 15 Years

I found this on todays MSN site this morning! To bad whoever it was that had written the article could have driven or rode in a Sky or Solstice. I'm sure that would have changed their mind about being disappointed. IMO

Nine of the Most Disappointing American Cars of the Last 15 Years-bbnheyw.jpg
9) Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice
In terms of looks, the Sky and Solstice were pretty good looking, possibly even better looking than the Miata it was meant to compete with. We so wanted it to be good. It fell short. It was heavy and slow, had a low-quality interior, and the folding roof (which you had to exit the car to put up or down) took up the entire trunk when folded. By the time the Solstice GXP Coupe came out, the best of the bunch, Pontiac was shutting down. Unfortunate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 10:14 AM

Already posted and denigrated on the Sky site...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Just another one of those articles that idiot writers write to fill white space. There are many similar and equally stupid 'n' best or 'n' worst web articles and have absolutely no meaning or effect.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Sorry, I just saw the article today. Hard to keep up with what has already been posted!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 08:32 PM

I also follow a CanAm Spyder site as I own one of those as well. Today someone posted a review comparing the Polaris Slingshot to a Miata MX-5. Shootout: Miata vs. Slingshot - Roadshow

Both are priced in about the 25K range with the Slingshot using the Ecotec engine in the 173 HP configuration. The reviewer wasn't real high on either machine but definitely preferred the Miata to the Slingshot due to poor brakes, inability to keep traction on take offs due to all the torque burning up the tire on the single rear wheel, and the uncomfortable cockpit.

His negatives on the Miata were the styling, the uncertain handling in corners (too soft), and vague steering as well as just not enough power as the newer Miata is up in weight with no increase in power at 155 hp.

After reading the piece I thought that it was too bad there wasn't a version of the Solstice available for him to put into that comparo. Even the N/A version from 2008-9 seems to outdo both of these new offerings.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loggedon View Post
I also follow a CanAm Spyder site as I own one of those as well. Today someone posted a review comparing the Polaris Slingshot to a Miata MX-5. Shootout: Miata vs. Slingshot - Roadshow

Both are priced in about the 25K range with the Slingshot using the Ecotec engine in the 173 HP configuration. The reviewer wasn't real high on either machine but definitely preferred the Miata to the Slingshot due to poor brakes, inability to keep traction on take offs due to all the torque burning up the tire on the single rear wheel, and the uncomfortable cockpit.

His negatives on the Miata were the styling, the uncertain handling in corners (too soft), and vague steering as well as just not enough power as the newer Miata is up in weight with no increase in power at 155 hp.

After reading the piece I thought that it was too bad there wasn't a version of the Solstice available for him to put into that comparo. Even the N/A version from 2008-9 seems to outdo both of these new offerings.
I guess the writer's reviewing a 3 wheel machine in comparison to an automobile should alert all readers to the disturbed thought process in the article to follow
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
------------------------>
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ┐spoom View Post
I guess the writer's reviewing a 3 wheel machine in comparison to an automobile should alert all readers to the disturbed thought process in the article to follow
Thank you! I have a GXP and. Slingshot. Both are much nicer looking and faster than the the Miata. But how does one compare a reverse three wheeler to an automobile? From the start you could tell the guys bias. Even his attempt to open the hood was a real joke. Oh, and let's not forget they were comparing a Miata that priced out at $32k. And he couldn't keep the rear wheel hooked up? Maybe someone should teach him how to use a clutch.

Check out my list of Mods

2008 GXP picked-up 9/30/08
Cool with Ebony/red stitching, manual, loaded - everything except 6 changer CD.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
But this is the Solstice site. I could say already denigrated on the Slingshot Forum but you probably don't go there the same way I don't go to the Sky site.

Check out my list of Mods

2008 GXP picked-up 9/30/08
Cool with Ebony/red stitching, manual, loaded - everything except 6 changer CD.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 08:11 PM
Founding Member

Garage
He has some fair points, and the overall opinion, I believe, has been misinterpreted. Compared to the Miata, the original NA Solstice was a bit too heavy and slow, but it was still a load of fun and it did work much better as a GT car than the Miata. I spend a lot of time doing more distance trips than windy roads, so it's nice to have that type of comfort. It does suck that the top takes up so much room, and the interior is widely regarded as being spartan with far too much plastic. I put a black suede DashMat in mine and it really helps break up the plastic dramatically.

He admits the GXP was awesome, and that it's a shame Pontiac was shuttered. He seems to be saying the disappointment of the Solstice came on two fronts, the shortcomings of the NA Solstice, as well as the discontinuation of the brand as things were getting awesome.

I can certainly see the confusion since the list title makes it sound like they are bad cars.

Quote:
I don't hang out on the Sky site, so I would never have known.

2009 Solstice GXP | Wicked with all the trimmings, including Solo exhaust, DDM Stage I brake kit, low flow catback, CAI, GM Stage II tune, DDMWorks brace package, Michelin Pilot SuperSport tires, and a from-scratch stereo install.

Sean + Molly Photographers
concART | Concert Photography

Last edited by Fortimir; 02-23-2016 at 08:13 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 10:45 AM

after being used to driving a honda del sol my NA solstice feels potent enough even though the del sol seems bigger inside and has a real trunk.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 07:25 AM

I'm new around here, having just bought a 2007 GXP. I wanted one of these for about 10 years now... finally got one. So yes, I read plenty of "disappointing" type reviews on these.

I'm not disappointed.

I knew the trunk space was on-par with my F150's center console space. I knew the rear visibility was not "excellent". I knew the handling was just a bit off here and there. I knew the interior was a bit bare.

However... this is not a grocery getter. Not a family hauler. I'm also the owner of a 2013 Camaro, and since everyone knows the Camaro ships without rear windows... the rear visibility of the Solstice is MUCH better than the Camaro. Handling? It's really good. (No, I'm not comparing it to race-ready Ferraris. I compare it to the Camaro.) I plan on getting the stiffening members for the frame. I have the mod bug and have several in place already, and more in shipping, like a dash kit from Remin, and the King Penn windblocker and door sills (damn that metal strip).

This is the most fun car (and I've rented or driven other convertibles and sports cars before) that I've ever driven. I'm tempted to buy a second one, but the only thing more impractical than a Solstice... is two of them. So, maybe I will... one seller nearby has a showroom condition '07 N/A manual with 11k miles.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 03:26 PM

My Solstice is MUCH more fun to drive than a Miata...and looks WAY cooler! I do agree with the final statement, "By the time the the GXP Coupe came out, the best of the bunch, Pontiac was shutting down. Unfortunate."
Unfortunate indeed.
Anyone buying a convertible 2- seater isn't buying it for the trunk space anyway and although I agree that the interior plastic parts are low quality and broke easily, all cars with plastic interior parts have the same issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode