It's Official, Pontiac Dead at end of 2010! - Page 4 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 09:50 AM

Location: Roosting on the west central flyway in Colorado Springs
Send a message via AIM to duckSol
Some people just don't get it,

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...34/#post840925

I am subtle and vague for a reason, to make you think!

Building Buick's and bastard models is not viable!
The number of badged models could have been reduced even more by eliminating cross-branding.

And thanks Chief for the information and the Mods for allowing it to stay

This is not a viability plan, it is a RAT BAG sack lunch!

2012 Summer Solstice in the Land of Sky

duckSol's Mods revised 12/21/2008

duckSols Mods revised 9-4-09

Transformer SLY

"Okolemaluna"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 09:51 AM

Accountants crunch the #s and what is cheaper to dispose of and how much each car makes. Buick's are produced in lower volume and people (although very few) pay higher prices for them. They need to really revamp Buick in the US, because their customer base is dying off.

2008 Infiniti G37S Coupe - 37k - Manual, big brakes, limited slip, etc.

2007 Sky Red Line 5-Speed - 70k - Paid for, Trifecta tune, DDM Extreme BB/Clamps, Dejon Intake

1998 Civic EX - 5-Speed - 213k - Hey, it is cheap.
post #48 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Founding Member

I guess this means it goes back to the way it was, with Mazda having the affordable roadster market all to itself. I really hate the new happy, smiley cartoon Miata.

Thanks again Bob, for building my car! Envious/Ebony VIN #0051
post #49 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 10:18 AM

This is really a sad day. All that history. Being a Sky owner I was hoping the Kappa would be safe and that perhaps (I can dream) the Sky would have been rebranded as a Chev. Well this announcement brings an end to that dream.
post #50 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 10:23 AM

Humm...History repeating itself.

Pontiac Fiero 1984 -1988

Pontiac Solstice 2006 - 2010
post #51 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Founding Member

China is set to become the largest consumer of automobiles, so selling Buicks in China is a good marketing plan.
I will be surprise if they do produce a 2010 Solstice model though.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #52 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koobie View Post
They need to really revamp Buick in the US, because their customer base is dying off.
I don't get their clinging to Buick, but at the same time giving that brand nothing to sell. I totally get the China thing, I just don't understand Buick in North America at all. They have three products now and one of them is scheduled for retirement leaving them with Lacrosse and Enclave. Similar, if not identical vehicles are available at Chevy and Cadillac. If they're not going to give Buick lots of new product, why not just kill Buick in NA and focus on Chevy and Cadillac. Most of the dwindling traditional Buick buyers will no doubt go either Cadillac or maybe Chevy. Sadly, I suspect their plan is to make the Lacrosse the flagship, and start importing smaller Chinese made Buicks to fill up the lower end of the line. If this is their plan, they might as well kill the brand now.

post #53 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 10:49 AM
ozz

Very sad day indeed personally I think they should have dropped the Buick line after I got the news on TV this morning I stopped at the local walmart store and looked around the parking lot there must have been 20 Pontiac's to every Buick seems to me at least in this country Pontiac was a very good seller there or a tremendous amount of Pontiac's on the road a lot more then Buick's.I just purchased my second solstice a 2009 GXP this year and I feel like GM has stabbed me in the back oh well I guess my brother is happy he just bought a new Buick
post #54 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Founding Member

GM need the Buick name plate for the Chinese market, and that is the reason they are keeping this brand.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #55 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
AeroDave : I don't get their clinging to Buick, but at the same time giving that brand nothing to sell. I totally get the China thing, I just don't understand Buick in North America at all. They have three products now and one of them is scheduled for retirement leaving them with Lacrosse and Enclave. Similar, if not identical vehicles are available at Chevy and Cadillac. If they're not going to give Buick lots of new product, why not just kill Buick in NA and focus on Chevy and Cadillac. Most of the dwindling traditional Buick buyers will no doubt go either Cadillac or maybe Chevy. Sadly, I suspect their plan is to make the Lacrosse the flagship, and start importing smaller Chinese made Buicks to fill up the lower end of the line. If this is their plan, they might as well kill the brand now.
It is more likely that Buick won't have a "lower end" car. That's what Chevrolet is for. They are going back to the very early plan for the corporation: Chevrolet is the entry level and every-man car. Buick is the middle-manager / retiree product. and Cadillac is luxury. GMC is work trucks.

Less badge engineering, less inter-company competition, more logical.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #56 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Garage
I'd expect we'd start to see some of the Buicks that are sold in China to start filling out the lineup here. There's an Opel based one that looks awesome, there's even a turbo version of it. They also have the new Buick Business based off the Orlando. They all look really sharp.

I'm sad to see Pontiac go but it's been a long while since Pontiac was really the performance brand. Ignore the Solstice (which was dead all on it's own) and the G8 (there's already been talk of it stopping deliver as is) and Pontiac is just a Toyota/Chevy rehash brand with no real flavor. In 2010 that's all Pontiac would have been since the only performance cars they have would have been gone. It's like calling Chevy the performance brand because they have the Corvette and Camaro...

2006 Mysterious Solstice
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
2008 Velocity Yellow Corvette Coupe
post #57 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
It is more likely that Buick won't have a "lower end" car. That's what Chevrolet is for. They are going back to the very early plan for the corporation: Chevrolet is the entry level and every-man car. Buick is the middle-manager / retiree product. and Cadillac is luxury. GMC is work trucks.

Less badge engineering, less inter-company competition, more logical.
All fine and well, except GM has said it plans to down size Buick to meet tougher CAFE standards, that's why the Lucerne replacement was scrapped. At the same time they aren't announcing Buick getting any new models. That leaves them with Lacrosse and Enclave and in the future something smaller... ?? It almost makes sense, If Buick is going gang busters in China, and that market needs some smaller models, why not just export those smaller models to America? Only problem is, the thought of a Chinese Buick will make most people sick.

It just occurred to me what's going on. They have no real plans for Buick and GMC, they're just saying they are sticking with those brands to give PBG dealers something to sell and live by their contractual agreements. Of course the model offering of a Buick/GMC dealer will be so pathetic and sales volume so low, that the dealerships will go out of business naturally. A way to thin the dealers without the lawsuits they had with Olds. This makes sense to me now. They intend to land as a two brand company in the end. This is already happening. In my area, the PBG dealers have all already gone out of business or have been incorporated into all GM brand stores. In the end, when the dust settles and there are only Chevy/Buick/Cadillac/GMC dealers left, they will retire Buick and GMC.

post #58 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 11:50 AM

I'll probably be the only one to say this about Pontiac, but good riddance. GM marketing did a fine job ruining the brand in the last 15 years with their fumbling and lack of vision. Buick probably should go, too, but they still see some value in that brand, even if it is a ploy to avoid franchise penalties.

On CNBC this morning they had a number of GM folks on who were stating that Buick's main value over Pontiac was that Buick has almost no fleet sales while the majority of Pontiac's sold are to fleets. Their logic was that these are just basic model cars, low/no margins, and could easily be replaced by other brands with greater economies of scale (e.g. the Malibu in lieu of a G6). From a business standpoint I don't disagree with this; GM has to restore their margins and slashing brand overhead while consolidating on fewer models reduces their variable costs. It's not like they can increase pricing at this point given their lineup, their image, the uncertainty in the air, and the general market for cars.

As for GMC, I agree with what was discussed over the last few months since the bailouts began - they have a sufficient commercial business to make it attractive. No telling if many of the rebadged vehicles will survive, but GM does need GMC to keep building the big metal. Worst case it could be sold off akin to Volvo cars vs. Volvo trucks/aerospace et al.
post #59 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 12:49 PM

First 1000 Sols. I think we have a collector.
post #60 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAO View Post

but on the good side...UNEED2 told me this morning that if we can swing it.....she would like to get a 2010 GXP in addition to keeping our 06 N/A.......WOOOOHOOOOOOOO!
Good for you, taking to the wife about a GXP for me. I keep telling her I purchased Sol507 for her.

2006 VIN 507, Sly, Fully Loaded, Standard Radio, no smoker package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode