Why hasn't there been any new news? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Why hasn't there been any new news?

How many month has it been since there was anything of substance in the press about the Solstice? Is this normal for a new car release? Is there an intentional news blackout? When will the mags and blogs start having more "exclusive test drives"? It seems there was regular releases of information at the start of this year and then a six months drought. Shouldn't the PR people be trying to keep a buzz going? Maybe a picture from a test track. Maybe a picture with the top up. Maybe anything!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe the slow season before winter/spring car shows? Agree it's been slower than usual. A spy shot would perk things up.

-2006 VIN #30, First 1000 Series

Pontiac RIP 1926-2009
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 09:10 AM
Mod Emeritus

A couple reasons. First, its new release season. Automakers are currently trumpeting the new cars that are going on sale right now. GM is more concerned with hyping the G6, Cobalt, and other October releases than using up space in the press to showcase a vehicle that is many months from showrooms.

Second, we are on the verge of auto show season. By this point, any new news on upcoming vehicles is being withheld for announcement close to or at the auto shows where they can generate a lot of hype with the press and public, and not take away from hype regarding their current intros.

Finally, I think the Solstice has been a rather unusual vehicle development and production program, as far as public knowledge about it is concerned. Not only has it been a confirmed project for over a year and a half, we have seen the production example for that long. Most companies would not show it off with so much lead time, as development work continued. Then to have hand built test mules driven and reviewed by the press more than a year before pre-production cars will even role out of the factory is almost unheard of. Ford didnít invite people to test the Mustang development a year ago and write it up for all to see. Corvette test mules were not in magazines a year ago. Heck, we didnít know what it was officially going to look like a year ago, much less a year and a half.

No, the Solstice has been a somewhat unique concept to production vehicle. Maybe there just isnít that much more info to give on it either, except final specs and details on options, colors, the top, etc.

Solstice and Sky Fan

Retired Solstice Forum Super Moderator (Apr 2005-July 2009)
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 03:35 PM
Founding Member

Agree with all that F88 said, but they could throw us a little bone. A spy shot or two, maybe a little on options, colors, comments from designers and engineers on the project? I don't know, I guess I'm being a little selfish, they do have lots to do yet, and they have given us quite a bit early on, and I guess we'll live until show season, but still.... :banghead

Thanks again Bob, for building my car! Envious/Ebony VIN #0051
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Found these at a spy shot website, which found them at autobild.de

Sources from inside say this is in Europe - that this is NOT one of the "England Mules", but yet another third mule. Apparently there was some big show that GM did somewhere in France around the same time as the paris auto show - GM sent one of these for "dynamic" evaluation along with some other GM vehicles. Must have been a show for the media - and this guy was lucky enough to drive one.

Don't know how long these pics will be available. And darn it - still no clear top-up pics.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Did some snooping around French racetracks, and found this pic:

http://www.europeancarweb.com/featur...ec_paulricard/

From the Paul Ricard Racing Circuit near Marsielles, FRA. It's the only one I found with the characteristic sky-blue lines on the front straight. Maybe this is where they were?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Garage
The 1st and 2nd image are really hilarious to me. For being a spy shot the guy seems to be posing for a picture, smiling and all

2006 Mysterious Solstice
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
2008 Velocity Yellow Corvette Coupe
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 07:59 AM
Founding Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Yellatec
Looks like some body panel fitment issues?

Is that guy short-legged or is there room for storage behind the seat?

Looks like you should be able to drive with your elbow on the window just fine.

My .02 :thumbs

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 08:07 AM
Administrator

I suspect they are not so much spy photos as they are magazine photos that have not yet been published. Either that or I know at some press rides, no pictures at all are allowed, but these guys sometimes sneak a pic way off the beaten path, never intending to publish them.

Notice how the top pics are not really on the straight - they are way away from the pit entrance, and there's NO other cars or people in sight?

Yeh, the dude is short legged - there's not much other than maybe a map pocket behind the seat.

Notice the gaping hole where presumably the top mechanism or hinge comes through?

Last edited by solsticeman; 10-15-2004 at 08:09 AM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 08:42 AM
Founding Member

:cool It's always nice to see new pics.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 08:46 AM
Mod Emeritus

New pics are always great, but spy photos? GM has shown the vehicle a million times. There is no reason for them to sneak around or try to hide it anymore. Unless they wanted to hide the look of the top, and it was on the car, there would be no reason for them to try and use camo or sneak around. I doubt the spy photographers are really that concerned with snapping a Solstice at this point.

Solstice and Sky Fan

Retired Solstice Forum Super Moderator (Apr 2005-July 2009)
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 09:51 AM
Founding Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Yellatec
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsticeman
Notice the gaping hole where presumably the top mechanism or hinge comes through?

Also Notice this thing on the Header.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solstice-spy-zoom.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	280  

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsticeman
Yeah I did. It looks like it could be a hand area almost for lifting the trunk. Because until now I've never seen a way to get your hand in there to lift up the trunk. Along with being the space for where the roof comes through.

2006 Mysterious Solstice
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
2008 Velocity Yellow Corvette Coupe
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 01:12 PM
Founding Member

Headlights

Is it just my imagination, or do the headlight covers seem to stick up above the fenders a little bit. They blend in smoothly on the concept and show cars, but seem to protrude on this car. Could be the angle or the color, though.

Also have to wonder whether the windshield frame is going to be body color or silver. I've always assumed that the windshield frame would be silver regardless of body color (ala Crossfire), but this one looks to match. Of course, since it's a mule, they could have just finished it as cheaply as possible.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Oh Thanks! I needed a little something new. This is just enough of an info fix to hold me over for another week or two! :cheers
If this isn't one of the mules for England, it sure seems to be a very close copy. But what's good is, it seems shows different views we haven't studied. It's definitely more recent because pictures of all those showed people in heavy coats. :cool
Those mules also had thrown together body panels and headlights that were just sort of stuck on and extended above the body. And writers said the seats were not much better than riding on an eggcrate and not adjustable. I'm not worried about it.

Last edited by DreamerDave; 10-15-2004 at 02:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode