Another "CW" hobby - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyryderca View Post
What speed were you using back then on your reel to reels for recording for DJ ing was it 71/2 or 3 3/4 Syjo.
I don't recall the speed, it's been way too long. I thought my Tandberg reel to reel had three speeds and I probably used the middle speed.

Never used 8 track for DJ'ing. Too unreliable, poor sound and high tape noise. Had one in my car though.

The reel to reel was used mostly to play a set of prefaded songs that created a dance set. In those early days, live mixing with two turntables had not become common yet. DJ'ing had not become a "profession" either so the DJ put on a long dance set, mingled and partied with the crowd. I DJ'ed at the beginning for beer, pot, food, fame and women. Not in that order.

First time someone asked me how much I charged for a gig, I was speechless. I recall being elated getting $25 for a wedding in 1974. By the 2000's some high end weddings were booked for well over $1,000.
easyryderca likes this.

Last edited by syjos; 02-07-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 12:46 PM

i still have a home 8-track player and a travel case of cartridges. also have 2 reel-to-reels decks but can't find the tapes..... and, of course, cassettes... also a video disc player.. and a turntable and 33-1/3s lps

I got 'stuff'
Bill
easyryderca likes this.
post #18 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmf246 View Post

I got 'stuff'
Bill
You got a problem....lol!

I used to "live mix" and fade turntables with 12" ep dance mixes and the standard radio release of a hit song on 45. When I lived in "the great white north" (near the Canadian border and 99.99% Caucasian) I was filling in at a local dance club and doing just that. There was a crew from a coast guard ship temporarily stationed in town enjoying their "shore leave" when broke into an extended "live" dance mix of Rick James.

The black men were hilarious when I first saw their expressions and then their appreciation when this white guy in the middle of no where was doing what I was doing. "This man is SMOOOOTH on the records!" After closing they were out on the front sidewalk when I was leaving. Gave me a standing ovation!

Used to live mix on the radio also. The second radio station I worked at was album rock (early 80's) and had a change in management and, therefore, format. I went from probably 40-50 phone calls per Friday night to about 2 per week (and I swear one would be a wrong number!) When the GM finally decided to go "hot 100" in the evenings I was, of course, ecstatic. I was about 12 minutes into a live mix of Thomas Dolby's "Science" when he called me and asked if it was the 45. I said "No, the only version available was the 'album' version."

"Well this is too long, wait until we can get the single before playing it again."
easyryderca likes this.

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #19 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:15 PM

The Soo in the USA used to have a great fm rock station in the 70s as if i remember it was the first station between both Saults that played entire album sides commercial free.Today i find fm stations have become more like the am stations were back in the day with all the commercials. I must admit i hardly put my vinyl on any more as i end up listening to internet radio stations or xm radio.
I hope some one from the forum elaborates on the 45 turntables they used to have in some of the older cars & did the 45s skip a lot while driving .
post #20 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I hope some one from the forum elaborates on the 45 turntables they used to have in some of the older cars & did the 45s skip a lot while driving .
Dayyum! Just how old do you think we ARE?!
easyryderca likes this.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #21 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The Soo in the USA used to have a great fm rock station in the 70s as if i remember it was the first station between both Saults that played entire album sides commercial free.Today i find fm stations have become more like the am stations were back in the day with all the commercials.

WSMM. The first station my brother and I found when we moved there in 1975. Never had a clue that 6 years later I would be on the air there. By 1982 they changed formats and it sucked hole from there forward.

Today's radio is corporate - single companies owning several stations. I know for a fact how they're run now because the guy I got started (who always wanted to be in engineering before) in radio now owns that station and about 11 others in no4thern MI. (I ended up quitting radio and getting into engineering . . go figure.)

The corporation sets the format for the sound they want on each genre of radio they want to portray. Most morning shows are still "live" but everything else is pre-recorded digitally. I've been told that a good "jock" can record a 4 hour show in about 45 minutes. Thusly, they "host" 3 or more shows on different stations at different times of the day and they're done recording them before noon.

My long time bud took me on a tour through his studios one afternoon about 15 years ago. All four studios in that building were empty - completely running on auto-pilot.

I remember being a bit flippant with him when he told me that listener frequency is up, it's the duration of listening that's down. I said "That's because your programming is "tish"! I can get your version of 'classic rock' anywhere on the dial - it all sounds the same. So once I hear the weather or the sport score I'm looking for, I'm bored with everything else and flip down the dial!"
easyryderca likes this.

post #22 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Dayyum! Just how old do you think we ARE?!
Obviously he's baiting you soup. I KNOW he wasn't talking about ME!

post #23 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 03:10 PM

Garage
Thanks , soo much, I just realized I realy do turn the big 60 this year. Oh the memories of the seventies and 8 tracks
post #24 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 03:25 PM

Lexington got WKQQ in 1977. They played album rock for at least five years, but switched sometime between my moving away and moving back.
Like most album stations they had the inevitable "skip" incident that played the same 2 seconds of music for something like 10 minutes, on more than one occasion.
easyryderca likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #25 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 05:05 PM

Garage
I did not enjoy DJ'ing on radio. I needed instantaneous feedback from the audience.

When I played a songs on the radio, there was no way to know if it is appreciated.

With a live audience, I know immediately how the song is doing. People filling the dance floor or sitting down.

I liked the attention from being on stage, entertaining party goers. I was a performance DJ, dancing around on stage imitating Mick Jagger and other active singers, toss inflatable musical instruments down from the stage and also play some air guitar solos. I made humorous comments, went out on the dance floor to teach or lead line dances and surprised the crowd with The Chicken Dance, Hokey Pokey and other silly songs that baby boomers and older loved towards the end of the evening (was alcohol involved - certainly). In addition to playing prerecorded music, I also have been hired to MC events and function as an auctioneer.

I consider myself a "party motivator".

Any monkey can flip records. With the internet, one can download a list of the top current dance or country songs, burn them to the computer, rent PA equipment and play the same songs that DJ's play. Knowing what to play and when is where the experience comes in. Being able to say "no I'm not playing that song" to a guest making a request of an awful, inappropriate or a song that is hard to dance to is also where an experienced DJ becomes useful. Younger guests enjoy requesting songs that they know will shock the older people so knowing song content becomes important. The service that provided the top pop and country hits offered the choice of the original song or a clean version and I only ordered clean versions. Not because I am a prude. I considered each gig to be an opportunity to pick up new clients and did not do anything to diminish my appeal.

Last edited by syjos; 02-07-2019 at 09:01 PM.
post #26 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 05:20 PM

Garage
I have found that if you want to play back an old reel to reel tape or any magnetic recording tape, to warm it up before playing. It softens the brittle tape so that you can play it back without destroying it, and record the contents to a different medium.

It's been a while since using this approach but you need to experiment with the temperature on a sacrificial tape. I placed the tape recorder with tape threaded in a box with a heater, monitored the temperature of the tape and noted when the tape became pliable. Too warm and the tape will stretch. I seem to recall 90 degrees being a good temperature.

Some tape was so brittle that warming it did not help.

If the contents of the tape is really important, a commercial conversion service will be able to transfer the contents.
post #27 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Lexington got WKQQ in 1977. They played album rock for at least five years, but switched sometime between my moving away and moving back.
Like most album stations they had the inevitable "skip" incident that played the same 2 seconds of music for something like 10 minutes, on more than one occasion.
The Eagles - "Lyin' Eyes". Afforded me the time to get downstairs, across the street to the gas station, buy a pack of smokes and a Coke, back across the street and up the stairs to the studio. Never had a stuck needle once!

Did have an incident once when I was out in the office screwing around with the staff when somebody give me a "zinger" of a verbal barb and I said "Fine!" Turned and mockingly threw my bic lighter.

Which bounced off of a wall.

Then off of the studio door that was propped open.

Then cleanly plucked the needle off of the "hot" turntable resulting in dead air until I ran into the studio, keyed the mic and said "Annnnd, we just heard the edited version of Simon and Garfunkel's 'Sound of Silence'. We'll be right back..."

post #28 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

syjos - I understand what you mean about playing the crowd. Back when I did gigs it wasn't so much that the younger group wanted to "shock" (because there wasn't a lot of shock songs back then) they just wanted to hear their favorite songs. When it didn't fit into the "flow" you had to tactfully work around the request. Read the floor, know when it's time to get to a slow set, know when it's time to "build" and "peak". If the DJ was nothing more than a jukebox, well then he was nothing more than a jukebox.

I'm slightly jealous about missing out on the technology. The light show I have in my den now I would have KILLED for back then. Probably would have run $10k at the time and I have about $1200 into it!

post #29 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 05:33 PM

the loooong version of Inna Godda Da Vida is 17+ minutes; enough for you to go out for dinner....
Bill
post #30 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 07:12 PM

Garage
In a Gada Da Vida is a tough song to dance to. I did play it a lot in the 70's.

I had several bathroom break songs. Favorite was "Gonna Make You Sweat - Everybody Dance Now" by CC Music Factory. I have an 8 minute remix version.

When the third generation dual deck CD players arrived, it allowed the second deck to start and fade in automatically. Enough time for a run to the head. With the MIDI computer interface, I could place as many songs as needed in que and the device would start, fade and play the songs while I ran to the head. Some DJ's play the whole night preprogrammed. They tend to be new DJ's starting out, DJ's working for a booking agency and or lazy ones. Other than when I first started with the reel to reel, I preferred live mixing. Pretty boring 4 hours otherwise. If I was out on the dance floor teaching line dances, I did places music in que so that I didn't have to keep going back to the stage. And background music during cocktails and dinner, which is played at low volume was played on an iPod plugged into the mixer.

When I got to a venue I hadn't played before, I locate the bathroom and time how long to get there and back. It was not a big deal when I was in my 20s and 30s. Hit 40 and the bathroom situation definitely became more problematic. Damn prostate.

Last edited by syjos; 02-07-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode